Channel 434 (NESN) - Removed from America's Top 250

ZoomVT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
VT
I have spent the last 3+ hours chatting with Dish Network's reps.

Here is the backstory:

I had mutli-sport through the NFL season. Wife wanted to add Starz package so in order for it to be a wash i decided to remove multi-sport package and add Starz, leaving the bill exactly the same.

After i did the programming change (online) I noticed channel 434 (NESN) was not showing up in my guide. It was late, i figured I could make a phone call in the morning to take care of it. Probably just a glitch. Little did i know.

Around 9 am I call, the rep insists I need the multi-sport package to see NESN. I know this is not true because 1) I have had it for the last 8+ years (i only have the multi-sport seasonally). 2) it says so in their own website, checking the local channels for zip code 05482.
After a short back and forth, she says im right and says she is sending an authorization signal. I tell her it didnt work, she says I have to reset receiver. I tell her i cant at the time (family watching TV) but will do. Thanks and good bye.

Well, it didnt work. It is afternoon now and i want to watch the baseball game. Figured I would chat again. This si where it went south.
I ended up chatting with 6 different people. They all start with the same multi-sports package reason. Some even tell me i dont knowwhat im talking about and I would even categorize some responses as rude. Obviousy after talking to 3 people and having to educate every single one of them it got very frustrating on my end

I couldnt finish...

I finally get redirected to executive team. I speak to someone there for a long period of time.
This person continued to insist i needed the MS package. I had to go step by step explaining how it should be included. At one point he even mentioned this package was only in Denver, CO (!!!) - side note: it still beats other reps telling me that i dont see it because of blackout, yet the game is not balcked out and i still should see it in the guide. ANyway, i digress.

Paul, the rep, insists that I need the MS package. We are at a standstill. He claims the website is wrong and that packages have changed. I cannot imagine it is true but would like to hear from someone that knows. It would be a riot if people in the new england area are not allowed to watch this channel included in their package.

I am hoping someone with knowledge can clarify this. I am pretty sure im right, but i have been wrong before. If I am right, i need recommendation on how to move forward. It was pretty clear to me they did not care to help me, i even mentioned having to cancel subscription. There was no attempt to keep me as a customer, which i found odd.

Maybe there is a helpful Dish rep here that can shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance.

Try running a checkswitch test on the receiver menu 6 1 1. The same thing happened to me with rsn and this fixed it.

Something could be going on with their system. When I login and try to make any changes to my programming, it is listing the programming packages as being $5 cheaper than the actual price...

Attachments

• Pricing.jpg
    Pricing.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 400
nice catch. That was my thought when i was talkign to the last rep. He made a comment about Denver, CO. And i immediately told him, either your software has a bug or someone doesnt know geography (or both).

It definitely sounded to me like their system was not able to figure out zip code to RSN. But to no avail; it definitely felt like common sense was gone.

I have spent the last 3+ hours chatting with Dish Network's reps.

Here is the backstory:

I had mutli-sport through the NFL season. Wife wanted to add Starz package so in order for it to be a wash i decided to remove multi-sport package and add Starz, leaving the bill exactly the same.

After i did the programming change (online) I noticed channel 434 (NESN) was not showing up in my guide. It was late, i figured I could make a phone call in the morning to take care of it. Probably just a glitch. Little did i know.

Around 9 am I call, the rep insists I need the multi-sport package to see NESN. I know this is not true because 1) I have had it for the last 8+ years (i only have the multi-sport seasonally). 2) it says so in their own website, checking the local channels for zip code 05482.
After a short back and forth, she says im right and says she is sending an authorization signal. I tell her it didnt work, she says I have to reset receiver. I tell her i cant at the time (family watching TV) but will do. Thanks and good bye.

Well, it didnt work. It is afternoon now and i want to watch the baseball game. Figured I would chat again. This si where it went south.
I ended up chatting with 6 different people. They all start with the same multi-sports package reason. Some even tell me i dont knowwhat im talking about and I would even categorize some responses as rude. Obviousy after talking to 3 people and having to educate every single one of them it got very frustrating on my end

I sincerely apologize for the difficulty you have had in getting an acceptable answer to your question. This link: DISH Game Finder Web Tool | My DISH Supportwill provide sports information for most broadcasts, except Local or Regional Sports Nets. The channel lineup card you may be viewing does not contain information about channel moves and changes. In this case, the change to NESN, specifically. NES has bee moved to the Multisport package. this is also confirmed using the GameFinder link I have provided for future reference in searching for sports content. The GameFinder is based on the viewer's zip code, and provides information about the most currently broadcast sports events.

If we can provide any other assistance, or answer and questions for you, feel free to PM back and our team at Dish will be happy to help you.

This is exactly what happened to another poster, (In the other forum) who had CSN Chicago, got the sports package, later dropped it and couldn't get their RSN back.
They told them the same thing you are being told. A DIRT member was able to get it back for them.

Also, for others looking for this in the future. Could you provide insight on when this decision was made (moving NESN to the multisport package)? If there is a reason for the move, that would help too.

Hey Tampa, thanks for the reply. I hope I can get help from the DIRT member as well. That may be the most watched channel in my house, making it a complete deal breaker not to have it, especially after having it for 8+ years.

It has NOT been moved to just the sports package. And I also see in my programming the wrong prices as you do, $5 less.
My friend in RI is watching NESN at this moment and does not have the Sports package. (Top200)

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming that. I didnt think it got moved, however the link DIRT just posted indicates that as well.

I assume you are trying to watch Red Sox games. Call their front office and ask for their broadcast or media relations department. They will either get it fixed or confirm your worst nightmare. Worst case, tell them you are now an official Yankees fan and if that doesn't help, follow through.

Tampa, yeah thats what I had been using. But according to the executive team and the post here from DIRT, they seem to indicate that is outdated. I dont really believe it myself but at this point im stuck. I was very disappointed the executive team was not able to help.

Videonex, LOL yeah right. I wouldnt be able to come through with that threat.

I dont know that the front office woud know anything... what i found most frustrating is that i talked to 6 people, some of them supervisors, and the executiv team and it felt like nobody knew anything.

Well a thought did occur to me. The prices being $5 less may not be a coincidence. Obviously no one is losing the RSN from their package at the moment or there would be 1000's of posts. But someone just now making a change is not getting it in their package.
Could Dish be preparing to have RSN's separate, and you pay $5 less for the package? And it was not supposed to kick in yet but somehow it loaded into the system?

I was just reading the DTVpost related to that and thought about it. I would be good for them to train their team on what they are doing. I have friends who have dish who have checked for me and have NESN without the multi sports package. Thats how I figured I was right.... but then again it doesnt matter if they dont agree with you....

Tampa8 said:
Well a thought did occur to me. The prices being $5 less may not be a coincidence. Obviously no one is losing the RSN from their package at the moment or there would be 1000's of posts. But someone just now making a change is not getting it in their package.
Could Dish be preparing to have RSN's separate, and you pay $5 less for the package? And it was not supposed to kick in yet but somehow it loaded into the system?

That is exactly what I was just thinking.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive

I was just reading the DTVpost related to that and thought about it. I would be good for them to train their team on what they are doing. I have friends who have dish who have checked for me and have NESN without the multi sports package. Thats how I figured I was right.... but then again it doesnt matter if they dont agree with you....

You are right, but it is almost beyond ignorance. Doesn't anyone there think it strange NESN is all of a sudden not considered to be in the regular packages? That all the RSN's are now separate with no notice? And that prices are $5 off? Stupid people....... I could understand if they said, ya, something looks wrong we will get on it right away... but to just say it's not part of the package is, just, well, DISH......

By the way it would be HUGE news if they were able to pull off having RSN's separate...... And also by the way, even if they are now considered separate, you are not paying $5 less......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)