Channel 540 no programming?

omeletpants

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
I have a Hopper 3 and 4K tv. Went to my Dish guide and enabled them 540. Looking for 4K programming I see not a single show on any of the three 4k channels over the next two weeks

I called Dish and they said this is normal and that 4K programming on shows up on those channels occasionally. I find this odd that Dsih doesnt al least have some nature series on 540 just to showcase 4K which helps them.

Virgin TV in the UK recently launched a linear UHD linear channel with series such as House of Cards, Masters of Sex, Absentia, Bloodline and The Get Down along with nature documentaries from Smithsonian and concert programming. Could Dish not do something like this? Doesn't Directv have a full time channel, what does that show?

Aside from shows made for Amazon, Netflix etc there is extremely little 4K available for broadcast. And it is worth repeating 4K is not a night and day upgrade from 1080. HDR may be, but once again there is very little 4K HDR beyond Amazon etc... You don't want any TV provider for 4K you need streaming for that.
I don't blame someone with a 4K TV to want 4K material but it is going to have to come from streaming for the most part,
(Note I am not saying there is no difference but you need to sit very close to even a large screen TV to see any difference (again other than HDR) and even shows shot in 4K are not always completely shot in 4K. And many scenes it is nearly impossible to tell the difference of 4K to 1080.)

So given that I would like DISH to get all channels in HD first that would be a bigger upgrade and I do have a 4K TV.

Last edited:
4K programming on 540 is not put on the guide until 4-5 days (maybe less) before it airs, it is not populated like the other channel guide info is.

Since CBS basically controls March Madness, I doubt there will be ANY of the NCAA Tournament in 4K.

The new Planet Earth Dynasties Series may be on on Saturday nights.

why would i be seeing only 2, 4k channels instead of 3? I couldnt ever find the dynasties series on the 4k channels but have previously watched planet earth and a few sporting events on it.

why would i be seeing only 2, 4k channels instead of 3? I couldnt ever find the dynasties series on the 4k channels but have previously watched planet earth and a few sporting events on it.
Try a hard reset, pull the power plug for 30 seconds and plug it back in.

I had to Edit Channels and add 540-03 to my Favorite Channels List when it didn't show up originally.

Reactions: Bobby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)