CHANNEL CHANGING D*vs E*

T

telecaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 20, 2004
Is it just me ,or is channel changing on E* slower than on D*.
Like the time it takes for the picture to come up when you change channels??
No matter what E* receiver.

Stargazer

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
The channel changing DOES take longer on E than it does on D. It takes even longer on the DVR (Digital Video Recorders).

stone phillips420

stone phillips420

On Vacation
Oct 20, 2004
earth
i myself have noticed no differences on speed, i also like dish title header info better, there's a curve ball as i am usually a dish hater

stone phillips420

stone phillips420

On Vacation
Oct 20, 2004
earth
Stargazer said:
The channel changing DOES take longer on E than it does on D. It takes even longer on the DVR (Digital Video Recorders).
when i used to have dish full boar 8 irds and a lot of programming i never noticeda difference betweena 301 or 501 channel change

T

telecaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 20, 2004
stone phillips420 said:
i myself have noticed no differences on speed, i also like dish title header info better, there's a curve ball as i am usually a dish hater

Now i am not talkin about the speed of the receiver,i am talkin about the time it takes for the video to appear.It seems it is noticably longer tim on E*

stone phillips420

stone phillips420

On Vacation
Oct 20, 2004
earth
i too was reffering to channel change speed not ird speed in general
i havent noticed i guess

T

telecaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 20, 2004
stone phillips420 said:
i too was reffering to channel change speed not ird speed in general
i havent noticed i guess
hmmm
ok thanks.

SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 1, 2004
telecaster said:
Now i am not talkin about the speed of the receiver,i am talkin about the time it takes for the video to appear.It seems it is noticably longer tim on E*
:eek:

C

chrisw27

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 2, 2006
Maybe its because D* compresses their channels to a bitrate so low that it loads quicker? I remember when Comcast first launched their digital cable service, they had like only 10 digital channels so their bitrate was very high, each channel loaded in 15 seconds but the PQ was unbelivable. In those days, watching a digital channel looked so much better than watching a DVD of the same movie. Call me crazy :)

BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
Maybe, but the guide scrolls by WAY faster on E*'s PVRs than D*'s. I don't mind waiting an extra second or two for the picture to show up, but when I am scanning the guide, I want to be able to zip through while seeing what is on.

It's a matter of taste I guess....

BrianB

BrianB

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jan 3, 2004
BobMurdoch said:
Maybe, but the guide scrolls by WAY faster on E*'s PVRs than D*'s. I don't mind waiting an extra second or two for the picture to show up, but when I am scanning the guide, I want to be able to zip through while seeing what is on.

I agree.. the picture seems to take a split second more to come up, but the overall speed of the E* receiver is a welcome change. I couldn't even use the guide on the HD-Tivo because it was too slow.

J

Jhon69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 19, 2006
Central San Joaquin Valley,CA.
telecaster said:
Is it just me ,or is channel changing on E* slower than on D*.
Like the time it takes for the picture to come up when you change channels??
No matter what E* receiver.

My D-11,is faster than my DP301 was.Those are the only 2,that I know.:)

Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 28, 2005
stone phillips420 said:

I actually had to go back and read that twice, then check to see if it was getting unseasonably cold outside! :D ;)

stone phillips420

stone phillips420

On Vacation
Oct 20, 2004
earth
Slamminc11 said:
I actually had to go back and read that twice, then check to see if it was getting unseasonably cold outside! :D ;)
hehe gave ya nothing to complain about there
twlight zone :)

Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 28, 2005
stone phillips420 said:
hehe gave ya nothing to complain about there
twlight zone :)

don't get me wrong, I was pleasently surprised, but definitely caught me off guard though I am now wearing my winter parka! ;)

O

OoTLink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 25, 2005
BobMurdoch said:

When I was switching from DSL to cable internet, I decided to see what their digital cable service was like for the heck of it, and that exact reason was why I didn't keep it :bounce

The box we got would behave .. crappily! If you changed channels too fast, the banner went blank and all you saw were the callsigns.

Unfortunately, too fast was the time it took for the picture to load - if you flipped any faster than that it'd go blank, I'd go nuts, and.. yeah...

I still need to mess with a DirecTV box one day, I hate contracts though, and uh.. darn. Ya know? I'm getting kinda bored of the 322s!

dlsnyder

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
That was the main complaint that my mother had about Dish and why she stuck with OTA only when she couldn't get cable. She couldn't get past how slow it was to channel surf. I tried to show her how to use the right arrow button to scroll through the guide before changing channels but she did want to learn something new. I am now convinced that some people will never willingly give up analog cable because of the time delay in channel surfing.

R

RobertsD

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 22, 2005
Layton, UT
I rarely channel surf because it does take a little while to show the video.

I know all the channel numbers of the channels I watch, so I either just put in the number, or use the guide to go see whats on the channels, and then pick a channel from the guide.

bsilvertab

bsilvertab

SatelliteGuys Guru
May 12, 2004
Rockford MI
D* channel changing is definitally faster than E* channel changing. I don't know the techinical reasons for this though.

C

chrisw27

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 2, 2006
The E* receivers have very slow decoders.

Have you tried changing digital channels in a comcast or verizon fios box? VERY fast.

EDIT: Or maybe E* has a longer buffer delay?

Last edited: