CHANNEL CHANGING D*vs E*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

telecaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Is it just me ,or is channel changing on E* slower than on D*.
Like the time it takes for the picture to come up when you change channels??
No matter what E* receiver.

The channel changing DOES take longer on E than it does on D. It takes even longer on the DVR (Digital Video Recorders).

Stargazer said:
The channel changing DOES take longer on E than it does on D. It takes even longer on the DVR (Digital Video Recorders).
when i used to have dish full boar 8 irds and a lot of programming i never noticeda difference betweena 301 or 501 channel change

stone phillips420 said:
i myself have noticed no differences on speed, i also like dish title header info better, there's a curve ball as i am usually a dish hater

Now i am not talkin about the speed of the receiver,i am talkin about the time it takes for the video to appear.It seems it is noticably longer tim on E*

telecaster said:
Now i am not talkin about the speed of the receiver,i am talkin about the time it takes for the video to appear.It seems it is noticably longer tim on E*
:eek:

Maybe its because D* compresses their channels to a bitrate so low that it loads quicker? I remember when Comcast first launched their digital cable service, they had like only 10 digital channels so their bitrate was very high, each channel loaded in 15 seconds but the PQ was unbelivable. In those days, watching a digital channel looked so much better than watching a DVD of the same movie. Call me crazy :)

Maybe, but the guide scrolls by WAY faster on E*'s PVRs than D*'s. I don't mind waiting an extra second or two for the picture to show up, but when I am scanning the guide, I want to be able to zip through while seeing what is on.

It's a matter of taste I guess....

BobMurdoch said:
Maybe, but the guide scrolls by WAY faster on E*'s PVRs than D*'s. I don't mind waiting an extra second or two for the picture to show up, but when I am scanning the guide, I want to be able to zip through while seeing what is on.

I agree.. the picture seems to take a split second more to come up, but the overall speed of the E* receiver is a welcome change. I couldn't even use the guide on the HD-Tivo because it was too slow.

stone phillips420 said:
i myself have noticed no differences on speed, i also like dish title header info better, there's a curve ball as i am usually a dish hater

I actually had to go back and read that twice, then check to see if it was getting unseasonably cold outside! :D ;)

stone phillips420 said:
hehe gave ya nothing to complain about there
twlight zone :)

don't get me wrong, I was pleasently surprised, but definitely caught me off guard though I am now wearing my winter parka! ;)

BobMurdoch said:

When I was switching from DSL to cable internet, I decided to see what their digital cable service was like for the heck of it, and that exact reason was why I didn't keep it :bounce

The box we got would behave .. crappily! If you changed channels too fast, the banner went blank and all you saw were the callsigns.

Unfortunately, too fast was the time it took for the picture to load - if you flipped any faster than that it'd go blank, I'd go nuts, and.. yeah...

I still need to mess with a DirecTV box one day, I hate contracts though, and uh.. darn. Ya know? I'm getting kinda bored of the 322s!

That was the main complaint that my mother had about Dish and why she stuck with OTA only when she couldn't get cable. She couldn't get past how slow it was to channel surf. I tried to show her how to use the right arrow button to scroll through the guide before changing channels but she did want to learn something new. I am now convinced that some people will never willingly give up analog cable because of the time delay in channel surfing.

I rarely channel surf because it does take a little while to show the video.

I know all the channel numbers of the channels I watch, so I either just put in the number, or use the guide to go see whats on the channels, and then pick a channel from the guide.

The E* receivers have very slow decoders.

Have you tried changing digital channels in a comcast or verizon fios box? VERY fast.

EDIT: Or maybe E* has a longer buffer delay?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)