Channel Confusion

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
I currently subscribe to America's Top 250 and I also have a week left on my free HBO and Cinemax. I am debating moving up to America's Everything Pak and I am trying to compare it to what I currently have. I thought the only difference between America's Top 250 and America's Everything Pak was that America's Everything Pak includes all the HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz channels? Also, I thought that once I subscribe to America's Everything Pak I would have all Dish channels other than those $29.99 Adult channels, Playboy and some international stuff.

Here is where my confusion begins....

So, I brought up the guide on my receiver and selected to view "All Channels" instead of my usual setting of "My Channels" and I am seeing some channels that I am not familiar with. Channels that are not part of my current subscription and are also not one of the 4 premium network channels. I was only expecting to see Showtime and Starz channels are the ones I currently do not have. So what are these other channels? Do I get them with America's Everything Pak? Here is a list of the channels that confuse me:
407 FSC+
394 WFN
389 SUND
388 PIXL
389 SMC
385 MGM
379 RETRO
378 INDIE
373 LOGO
371 CTRC
368 CI
361 MAVTV
333 FLIX
328 TMCXE
327 TMC-E

407 FSC+ (Fox Soccer Channel + previously Setanta Sports - premimum soccer channel with subscription)

platinum channels (now part of blockbuster movie pass)
394 WFN
389 SUND
388 PIXL
389 SMC
385 MGM
379 RETRO
378 INDIE
373 LOGO
371 CTRC
368 CI
361 MAVTV

(Showtime channels)
333 FLIX
328 TMCXE
327 TMC-E

407 FSC+ (Fox Soccer Channel + previously Setanta Sports - premimum soccer channel with subscription)
Blah, not interested.

394 WFN
389 SUND
388 PIXL
389 SMC
385 MGM
379 RETRO
378 INDIE
373 LOGO
371 CTRC
368 CI
361 MAVTV
So which of these channels are actually interesting?

Also, I guess this means the "Everything pak" is not everything?

Your complete premise is wrong. As mentioned you never got everything. You mention you should get everything except for the Playboy type channels and international channels. That is far from what it is or ever was. If you were expecting to get the Superstations, the Sports Pack, the Blockbuster package, etc etc that certainly isn't the case. If it were, alot of people would probably get it at that price.

No one can tell you if those channels are interesting but yourself. They are part of one the best packages available for alot of people, but only you can decide.

Package was called Everything pak long before most of the Blockbuster channels were introduced (except Sundance which used to be with Showtime.) Blockbuster runs an additional $10.

But even before BB the "Everything Package" was missing things like the Supers, Sports Pack and even at the beginning locals ;)

The Everything Pack was never intended to include "everything". It was always the just the top basic package plus the 4 major movie channel packages for one discounted price. The discount is generally about $5 over the individual prices.

So which of these channels are actually interesting?

394 WFN - World Fishing Network, used to be available only in HD but now only in SD.
389 SUND - Sundance Channel, movie channel of independent films that used to be part of the Showtime suite, but now part of BBMP (Platinum)
388 PIXL - Movie channel from Hallmark without commercials.
389 SMC - Sony Movie Channel. Commercial free (mostly) and some good old movies
385 MGM - MGM Movie Channel. Used to be commercial free but now interrupts movies at the top and bottom of the hour for commercials.
379 RETRO - Movie channel from Encore showing movies from the 60s-90s
378 INDIE - Movie Channel from Encore showiong independent movies
373 LOGO - A channel directed at the GBLT community. NOT an HD channel it is not available in HD but listed as such.
371 CTRC - Centric. Channel directed to the african american community, used to be BET Jazz music channel, then just BETJ and now Centric.
368 CI - Crime and Investigation Network. It is a channel from A&E and contains mostly forensic shows and old crime-dramas.
361 MAVTV - A channel that has to be seen to be believed. General interest channel for males who haven't grown up. UFC, chicks and cars.
333 FLIX - Movie Channel part of the Showtime package. Showtime's answer to Encore but with the crappiest movies ever put on film.
328 TMCXE - "The Movie Channel Extra East" Part of the showtime package. Used to be TMC 2
327 TMC-E - "The Movie Channel - East" Part of the Showtime Package.

The Movie Channel west and Extra West are part of AT250. When Dish had AT40 and AT100 as its two package and created AT150 (now 250). Shortly after the creation of the new top package it added TMC2 to the line-up. It then took TMC West and moved it from the Showtime package to AT150, put TMC2 east on Showtime and TMC2 west on AT150. I remember this only because of the discussions on boards like this of people complaining up a storm that "Dish took away a channel from Showtime subscribers" when in reality it added a new channel and removed a repeat channel from the package.

AEP used to include ALL dvr fees were included for all your receivers too. So you got a break on DVR fees and all 4 movie packs price too. Very good deal and I kept it for years . Then they did away with the dvr price break and also added additional receiver fees that were so large I had to trade in two of my 722s, for two 211ks with external hard drives for dvr software. Still have 3 dvrs ,but no more AEP. DISH's loss on programming.

MikeD-C05 said:
AEP used to include ALL dvr fees were included for all your receivers too.
I miss that, funny thing is I would add more programming to my subscription if they did away with the extra receiver fee. They would still get almost or just about as much either way!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I miss that, funny thing is I would add more programming to my subscription if they did away with the extra receiver fee. They would still get almost or just about as much either way!

Same here, and it would make me keep my average revenue cost per month at a higher premium. Now DISH gets only the bare minimum out of me in programming and the $20.00 in fees (with two 211ks and a dvr fee on my 722k). DISH would do better offering discounts for subs who subscribe to higher programming packs like AEP , rather than nickel and dime us in extra made up , charge it because they can, DISH FEES.

Same here, and it would make me keep my average revenue cost per month at a higher premium. Now DISH gets only the bare minimum out of me in programming and the $20.00 in fees (with two 211ks and a dvr fee on my 722k). DISH would do better offering discounts for subs who subscribe to higher programming packs like AEP , rather than nickel and dime us in extra made up , charge it because they can, DISH FEES.
I have to agree. I am still debating if I want to upgrade to the Everything pack and pay the $35/month but if they waved the $10/month I was paying for an extra receiver then I absolutely would make the switch.

I didn't see the point in ordering it. However, I'm one of the people who don't watch the original shows on HBO, Showtime, and Starz. I do enjoy the movies, so I use the 250 pack for The Movie Channel and Encore, and I get Epix through BBMP. So my question is do I use my parents or inlaws accounts to get HBO GO and MAX GO?

Just like today's TV, today's movies don't interest us that much. Older movies that I appreciate I either already own, can see in AT250, or can rent from the library for free or Redbox for a buck.

I disagree, how do you know that? I say there is more profit in the extra receiver fees. It's not your cost, it's the cost to Dish. I'm sure they have worked those figures over and over.

I disagree, how do you know that? I say there is more profit in the extra receiver fees. It's not your cost, it's the cost to Dish. I'm sure they have worked those figures over and over.
That's probably right. They don't have to share equipment fees with content providers.

Also, the equipment fees are most likely accounted for on the balance sheet differently to offset their equipment expenditures.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)