Channel question - sports networks in Michigan

mag314

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 6, 2012
Michigan
So sorry for a relatively silly question, but I am a long time dish network subscriber who may be finally able to move home in a few months...and I am researching my options. I am currently not much of a sports fan, other than hockey. Specifically Red Wings. Until now, NHL Center Ice has taken care of my needs while I bounce around just about every state except Michigan. However, now that I may be moving back, I am aware that Center Ice will not show me "local" games (as if the length of the entire state is "local" but that is another issue). My parents have issues with the cable company, in that the package they can afford contains Fox Sports Detroit, but not Fox Sports Detroit Plus, and thus miss some of the games (not a huge concern for them, but not one I am willing to live with :)). So, my question is this: Does Dish have Fox Sports Detroit Plus? Cost (package level) is not a huge concern, as I will be canceling the Center Ice thing before next year as I won't need it. And if FSD+ is available on Dish, is it in HD?

Thanks!

Last edited:
garys, I don't understand that. If the team is in your coverage area, isn't the RSN for it in your package? It is for me, I get all the Boston RSN's and all the NY RSN's - well I would get NY. Charter also has every RSN from both, I am in Eastern Ct, clearly not in NY DMA. I fact, not in the Boston DMA either, but that's what I'm confused about. I don't need the sports pack for any of those RSN's.

I'm not sure what OP's is, my reply is based on my area. Being from NE PA, my teams include Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and NY (but not all of NY). Currently there is no rsn (with pro teams at this time, Philadelphia and NY), I can watch Pittsburgh by adding the Multi-sports pack.

RSN's especially on Dish are so convoluted I can barely follow a good explanation! lol
Thanks.

Going back to the OP. Dish doesn't carry FS Detroit + as a stand alone, but will put those games on the alt channels beginning at 440. If you get FS Detroit then you will get the games on FS Detroit + when they are live.

yea, what I meant to say....you will not miss a Wings game that is broadcast on FSD+, also I have not seen any games this year not in HD, although I did not see all of them

but even FSD may not be in HD....come April is when DIsh really has to test the limit of their limited HD RSN issue with NBA, NHL and MLB going on at same time and areas utilizing the + channels out there

Thanks for all the responses folks, I appreciate them very much. I will check the DMAs but am pretty sure I will be fine with that. HD for the games and not missing too many are what I really care about, but understand the potential issues when all the darn sports are on at once; may need to find a good sports bar for the month of April. I think I can be content with this...not really looking to leave Dish unless I have to.

but even FSD may not be in HD....come April is when DIsh really has to test the limit of their limited HD RSN issue with NBA, NHL and MLB going on at same time and areas utilizing the + channels out there

+1

+2

April in the "D".......I always feel the Wings playoff games should not have to sacrifice a HD telecast to the first couple weeks of regular season Tiger games.....heck I have friends who would rather watch game 3 of the Tigers regular season as opposed to Wings playoff hockey.......morons...lol

I thought I remember last year, they put some of the Wings playoff games on one of the HD alternate channels when there was a Tigers' game on at the same time.

the mack said:
+2

April in the "D".......I always feel the Wings playoff games should not have to sacrifice a HD telecast to the first couple weeks of regular season Tiger games.....heck I have friends who would rather watch game 3 of the Tigers regular season as opposed to Wings playoff hockey.......morons...lol

Funny, in Boston, NESN once chose to put a Bruins playoff game in SD on plus and the Red Sox vs. Yankees (game whatever of 182 season) in HD on the main feed. People flipped out so much that they never tried that again. I'm not sure if this is the situation, but shame on the network for putting a playoff game on an alt feed to begin with, and a freaking early season baseball game on the main channel. That still doesn't excuse Dish for only getting the SD feed when HD is available.

This year FSN North added a + channel since they have the Wild, Wolfies and Twins. Funny thing is when the Twins start, they get the main channel. Wild and Wolfies get bumped to the + channel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)