Channels after canceling?

rufwork

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Southeast US
I just discontinued my Flex service [until the NFL starts back up], and was planning on moving my entertainment console away from the coax since the DB2 works well as an indoor antenna and we'd rather have the TV on the other side of the room now.

Beforehand, just for fun, I tuned Dish on to see if I still got anything. In addition to the home shopping stuff, I noticed the month's free previews (Bravo, SyFy, Hallmark, etc, iirc) still come in.

How long does this last? Will I also get new previews for free as a sort of enticement to come back? Is it useful to keep the receiver hooked up? I own it, so it's not going anywhere.

I did search around, and it looked for a minute like "Free to air"/FTA was the search term I wanted, but that's apparently not the case. I'm not sure what you call Dish freebees after you've stopped paying...

Back in the day before Flex was started I had Dish Now. As long as the receiver was connected the free preview channels appeared each month along with Nasa and a few other shopping networks. There are more free preview channels now likely because of the economy? I think as long as your receiver stays in the stream you will continue to see the preview channels.

Gary Dunn
Lind, WA

Back in the day before Flex was started I had Dish Now. As long as the receiver was connected the free preview channels appeared each month along with Nasa and a few other shopping networks. There are more free preview channels now likely because of the economy? I think as long as your receiver stays in the stream you will continue to see the preview channels.

Ack! This complicates things rearranging the living room a bit. I was wondering if I just got the rest of the month or new previews as well. Interesting to know I could very well get more as we go along, and thank you for the reply. I get the feeling I'll come to know Bravo and Hallmark better than I figured I would over the next week or so... I'll report back after another month or so.

Thanks!

Well, on the down low :cool:, I'm still getting all the home shopping networks, NASA, each months' free previews, and some other odd channels.

It's really sad. Often, the best thing to watch on TV remains Dish's previews even when I'm not paying for it. planet green has some great stuff on right now, and epix 1 & 2 are running some pretty good movies this weekend.

If the goal was to ensure I didn't forget how much I liked having Dish, it's working.

I believe it has something to do with "free previews" being something like public access channels. The shopping channels, as well as some others, are not coded to a package per se, they come through when you have signal regardless of subscription type (or lack of, apparently). I believe that they code "free previews" similar to public access for however long they are to be available on that "trial" period. Its easier to give them to everyone that way.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts