Channels and Signal Strength

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bartman1999

Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
In the old days, you could be on a channel and go to signal strength to see what it was for that channel (transponder). With my HR20, obviously that is not as easy.

I am having audio dropouts on ESPN, ESPN2, and occassionally TNT(245). I have seen through other threads that sometimes the signal strength will affect that, but I am not up enough on the technology to understand which satellite and transponder corresponds to which channel.

Is there a posting out there somewhere that would tell me which channel corresponds to which satellite/transponder so I can check my signal strength? And, maybe that list could tell me what the optimal and minimum strengths are for consistent signal. I would assume something in the 90's is the best, but is that always feasible?

I would like to check all channels, but if there is no list and someone knows ESPN, ESPN2, and TNT's satellites/transponders, I would appreciate the information so I can check my set up.

If you're talking about the HD versions of ESPN, ESPN2 and TNT, then they are all still MPEG2 and I believe all the MPEG2 HD comes off the 101 or 110 sat. I'm not sure which TP though.

Here's a trick I do on my HR20 to find the strength of a specific channel:

Tune to ESPN. Then key in another channel you want to know (TNT 245 in this case). Then hold Info for 3 seconds to get the main system info screen. Then go to the System Test tab and run a test (note: all buffers will be lost during this). The System Test will return the signal strength of both sat tuners (and both OTA tuners), so at least you can see the strength for those 2 channels, though you still won't be able to tell what sat or TP they're on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sage Tv and Directv

New Channel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)