Channels changing by themselves.

knighthammer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
This problem started a week ago. Menu guide comes up, channels change seemingly by themselves. I thought it might be because my daughter was channel surfing in her room but it has happened when she's not home as well. Is it possible that one of my neighbors w/ DISH is causing this? Is there anything I can do?

yep. Change the remote address...depending on the box there are 2 different ways.

The one way I know of (works with most boxes) is bring up the system info screen then press
sat button (hold it down) until they all blink...then release
press number between 1-16
press #...light will blink 3 times
then press record. That should change the remote address to something else

yep. Change the remote address...depending on the box there are 2 different ways.

The one way I know of (works with most boxes) is bring up the system info screen then press
sat button (hold it down) until they all blink...then release
press number between 1-16
press #...light will blink 3 times
then press record. That should change the remote address to something else

I have a VIP 622

UHF remotes are supposed to have a limited range (100 - 150 feet) to prevent exactly this type of thing from happening. Although I have to say that here lately I have noticed and increase in service calls because of this same scenario. Even in cases where the nearest other DISH customer was over 400' away. Changing the remote address does fix the problem.

UHF remotes are supposed to have a limited range (100 - 150 feet) to prevent exactly this type of thing from happening. Although I have to say that here lately I have noticed and increase in service calls because of this same scenario. Even in cases where the nearest other DISH customer was over 400' away. Changing the remote address does fix the problem.

i seen this problem with old mdu that dont have fire wall in the attric.

Ok, I have changed the remote address 6 times, including once today. It's still happening. Any ideas?

Ok, I have changed the remote address 6 times, including once today. It's still happening. Any ideas?

call dish and ask them for a new remotes, your buttons are sticking i had same problem with my 622. it would change channels, go to the guide by it self

call dish and ask them for a new remotes, your buttons are sticking i had same problem with my 622. it would change channels, go to the guide by it self

I would be surprised if that were happening. An hour or more can go by since last using the remote, then the channels start changing. When it happens again, I'll pop the batteries out & see if it stops immediately.

I would suggest pulling the batteries out of the remotes until the problem goes away. If it doesn't, you need to plug in the supplied attenuator and see if that doesn't fix it.

I'm pretty sure all this is covered in the troubleshooting section of the manual.

I would suggest pulling the batteries out of the remotes until the problem goes away. If it doesn't, you need to plug in the supplied attenuator and see if that doesn't fix it.

I'm pretty sure all this is covered in the troubleshooting section of the manual.

Attenuator... ok, now you're using big words.:eek: Please explain/describe.

Let's back up some. Do you live in an apartment complex or somewhere where there are a lot of other residents that are close by with Dish? There is a secondary set of remote addresses that you might want to try.

Let's back up some. Do you live in an apartment complex or somewhere where there are a lot of other residents that are close by with Dish? There is a secondary set of remote addresses that you might want to try.

I do not live in an apartment complex. I live in a new subdivision. There are maybe 3 or 4 houses on my street of 10 houses that have Dish.

If you temporary remove the UHF antenna off the back of the unit and only use the ir remote, you should be able to tell if it is your neighbours causing the problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts