Channels Switching and DVR problems

will1960

Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Chicago
I'm new here, and am looking for some help!

I have a DVR 622 set in dual mode. The second tv is about 20 feet away in the kitchen. I have recently started experiencing problems while watching the second tv. The channel will automatically flip back to MSNBC. Or CNN. My main tv that is hooked up directly never does this. I can switch back to the channel I am watching, and it immediately switches back.

In addition to this, the DVR is constantly recording programs that I have not set to record. There appears to be no rhyme or reason as to why it is recording these programs. I have to go in daily and clear the schedule of programs that are going to be recorded, or delete those that have already been recorded.

Some things I have tried:

I recently installed a new wireless network in my home, or changed brands of routers. Went from Netgear to Apple. I thought I may have triggered a frequency that was causing the interruption. I can't be positive that the change coincided with the problems, but I was trying anything. I unplugged the router for an evening, and the same issues were happening.

Shut down the Dish receiver and hoped for a reset. No help.

Last night installed the recently received smart card. No help.

I live in a condo building with 12 units. Could it be possible I am receiving signals from a neighbor?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

It is possible that a neighbor's Remote for TV2 (the UHF one) is interfereing with yours. The neighbor could be changing the channel, then you change it back (which changes his channel also), so he changes it again.

Try changing the UHF Remote Address (in the manual) and see if the problem stops.

Thanks Cold Irons. I just followed the procedure and changed the remote 2 address. I will see if this fixes the problem.

Now that you mention it, it does seem that when I am watching and the channel changes, I change it right back, and then it changes right back, as if someone else is experiencing the exact same frustration. Like a channel war :confused:

Hope it helps, and thanks again.

Good luck...easy fix if that's the problem. Not unusual when in apartments/condos, so may be the right ticket.

Maybe ask your neighbors when you meet in the hall - "any chance you use Dish Network"...and see if any one complains about their receivers changing channels....:)

You could use a reverse test where you use your tv2 remote constantly for about 10 minutes and see if any neighbors go ballistic...

I had the same thing happen except my 722 was in single mode. I sat there for about an hour till I got up to go to the living room to change the remote address and found out my brother had come in and was changing the channels with remote 1. He didn't know I was home and he was wandering why the channels were changing by themselves. LOL.

Thanks to all. I live alone, so I'm pretty sure no one else is in the other room changing channels on me! :)

So far, everything still looks good. I left the second tv on all day and it is still on the same channel! The test will be this evening when everyone is home. I'm guessing that this fixed the issue. And I'm also guessing that I fixed a frustrating situation for one of my neighbors also!

Thanks again. I'll let you now if this fixed it. So far, so good.

now that you know the neighbor's UHF address, you can always look up the "reinitialize DVR" feature and use it on them if they ever make you mad. :)

Thanks to all. I live alone, so I'm pretty sure no one else is in the other room changing channels on me! :)

So far, everything still looks good. I left the second tv on all day and it is still on the same channel! The test will be this evening when everyone is home. I'm guessing that this fixed the issue. And I'm also guessing that I fixed a frustrating situation for one of my neighbors also!

Thanks again. I'll let you now if this fixed it. So far, so good.
It probably was your neighbor, same thing happened to me except i knew my neighbor just got dish network. When my channel started changing, i called him and said "did you just change your tv to channel 6 and he said yes. I told him to change to channel 12 and sure enough i could see on my screen him inputing the #, and then my channel changing. I changed the remote code for my box and everything was fixed. I live in a house so those remotes are pretty powerful!!

Thanks to everyone! Changing the remote address fixed the problem. I'm sure he (or she) is just as glad that the probelm is fixed. I was contantly going into their DVR menu and deleting programs that they had scheduled to tape. :) At least they could have taped a PPV or adult feature once in a while, instead of Will and Grace! :D

Thanks again, and I appreciate the quick response. Hope I can return the favor sometime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)