Chaparral Sierra III no power :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

st_moose

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 24, 2004
Hit the power switch of my Chaparral Sierra III today and it did not hit back (well actually it did, since it did not power on :(

The unit does not power on from the front panel or from the remote (even after changing batteries in the remote)

I verified that it was plugged into a working outlet...it was

Pressed the 3 'breakers' on the back...still no power

Pulled the top cover in hopes that there was a blown fuse, but I do not see one

All the capacitors appear good....

any ideas what to look for (other then another receiver?)

thanks

1captain

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 30, 2008
the SierraIII nice receiver ran 1 since they 1st came out till I got a DSR920, they where noted to burn up power supply's due to the heat, on the latter 1's or if you ever had to return to Chaparral they would mount a 50mm fan on top of the heat sinks up towards the front. now if I remember right you have a pair of diodes towards the back of the PS board that would blow if current draw went up to high, check them. you can also pull just the PS board out an go tru it on the bench pretty straight foward supply. now the 3 breakers are for main power, actuator, an lnb voltage, an when you pushed any of the breakers was 1 triped? if so you will need to look in that area cause that could be what caused it to die or just old age. also try to disconect the jumper coax for the lnb switch A & B, that feed the receiver it self. towards the end of my chaperral life, I was in it a lot, changing caps in PS, an the main board, didn't think maney of them where still up an running. now even a PS supply from a Cheyenne will work in the SierraIII if you have 1 or I may even have 1 here, would have to check.
Good luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)