Charge for Site Survey?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cubco

Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Has anyone had to pay for a Site Survey from Installs Inc? I called today because I have an install scheduled for 4/6 and had some questions about a pole mount, underground cables, etc.

I was told that it would cost me $45 to have a site survey. Anyone else had this? I'm pretty sure that I read on these forums that Site Surveys didn't cost anything.

Any info. would be great.

thanks

Colin

cubco said:
Has anyone had to pay for a Site Survey from Installs Inc? I called today because I have an install scheduled for 4/6 and had some questions about a pole mount, underground cables, etc.

I was told that it would cost me $45 to have a site survey. Anyone else had this? I'm pretty sure that I read on these forums that Site Surveys didn't cost anything.

Any info. would be great.

thanks

Colin

Did Install tell you it will cost $45 or did the local installer told you this?

According to "Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com>, there is no site survey charge. You may email Joe and ask him directly.

It was the CSR that I was talking to

who told me $45. He wouldn't give me the installers name.

Sean Mota said:
According to "Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com>, there is no site survey charge. You may email Joe and ask him directly.

Interesting. I couldn't get the Voom installer here to come out. I know who it is but they just kept blowing me off. I called many other locals and finally got one to come out yesterday. He was a Dish and Direct installer. Confirmed I have a positive fix on all four sats - I was afraid of some tree problems. Charged me $45. Lo and behold, the Installs, Inc. local guy called me back (finally) and I'm going to have him come out tomorrow 'cause some of the advice I got from the first guy is very suspect (he wanted to combine the active cable coax with the sat line) but the Installs, Inc. guy said a site survey is $25.

Sean Mota said:
I thought Joe Harkins had told me that Site Survey was free. I will shoot an email to him to ask him again.

I'm not doubting you. Probably just another company trying to make an extra buck. In their defense, I hear they don't get much from Voom for the installs (no idea if that is really true) and I am asking for an extra service and extra trip. I can't make decisions on how to install without professional input. Doesn't do me any good to just order from Voom, have the guy come out for a full install, and find out I have unresolved issues and the install can't proceed. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks in advance and be ready for a smooth (hopefully) install when the time comes.

For what it's worth, the local Voom installer out of Ft. Lauderdale (I'm in West Palm Beach) came out today for a site survey. Given everything I've heard about difficult installers or installers with little knowledge, I was very favorably impressed. Scoped my site and immediately came up with a very tidy plan he is positive is going to please me with performance and the condo commandos with its aesthetics. Very different than the local Direct/Dish guy that came out and wanted to just combine the sat and antenna with the live cable coax. The Voom guy, without prompting from me said he will not, basically ever, use a diplexer. Two separate lines is the only way he'll do it, etc. Essentially just parroting every good install concept spoken about here and other places without me having to ask or insist. Now, let's hope the actual install goes as well as his presentation.

Oh, yeah, charged $25 for the site visit. I really don't have a problem with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts