Charges for returning leased receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

grunt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
I have cancelled my account after a few years and now I am being charged return shipping fees of around 30.00 for their two leased 722's. During cancelling, I was told that I'd only have to pay for the unpaid programming which is fine. Now however, they've added return shipping to amount. When I called to get clarification, agent stated it's a legitimate charge per my residential service agreement. I read through the agreement and I didn't find that return costs are my responsibility. Is this a normal charge? Any chance I can get it removed? Thanks!

yep thats the new "last ditch" fee Dish charges now

you can either use their label and be charged $15 or ship using your nickel

Thanks Iceberg, I left because of the fees. Oh well, they were good enough to waive the lnbf fee so I shouldn't complain too much.

yep thats the new "last ditch" fee Dish charges now

you can either use their label and be charged $15 or ship using your nickel

Pretty bad when a company tries to hit you on your way out the door like that. I'll bet they don't get too much return business.

Pretty bad when a company tries to hit you on your way out the door like that. I'll bet they don't get too much return business.

Thats what I don't understand. A lot of people switch providers, and then decide to go back, but charging a return fee for the receivers really leaves a bad taste in the customers mouth.

They aren't doing you any favors waiving the LNB fee Grunt. They would have to send someone out to get it, so they are doing themselves a favor.

Laddyboy said:
They likely don't make money off the every-two-year-churners anyway, the ones that switch every couple years for the new customer promos from each provider.

It takes about 18 months to even begin turning any profit.....or so we have been told.

Yes, it smacks of a Charlie "I want my ballie back" door hitting you on the way out kiss of from Dish. It really leaves a sour taste in one's mouth, especially since many people leave on good terms or not having any ill-will towards Dish. It really makes it less likely that after the sub has been kicked in the groin, he or she may be LESS likely to come back to Dish after thinking the grass was greener.

I do believer 2 things should be legislated either by state or federal law:
1. NO CHARGE for any returned equipment after cancelling service, of course provided in proper condition and within specified reasonable time.
2. NO REQUIREMENT to return LNBF's after completion of ORIGINAL commitment period. They would, just like the cabling in your home, be yours. Sat Cos. may offer cash or other incentive such as gift charge card (no compensation through billing) for LNBF's, but individual is under no obligation to return LNBF's if ORIGINAL commitment period has ended. Leaving the LNBF's were they are could make it easier for a sub to come back to Dish, and do so having positive memories.

making old people climb up ladders to the roof or CHARGING them if they don't want to do it WRONG! For most people, it is NOT in an easily accessible that increases the chance of personal injury (could that individual bring suit against such a company? Could such a company be held liable? I don't think that has really been tested, and my sense is that if someone takes it far enough, Dish would LOSE! But in the meantime, Dish collects the fees, so they just do it until they are told not to do it anymore.) that in a fair number of cases nets Dish even MORE money as they slam the door on the leaving subs butt.

Last edited:
They likely don't make money off the every-two-year-churners anyway, the ones that switch every couple years for the new customer promos from each provider.

Assuming they are bottom feeder tier subs, yeah, it is a bit disappointing for Dish. However, the most popular package + PPV's + the high per box fees + DVR Fee + premiums and/or + BBM for the channels + Sports Pack for like NFL Red Zone, but more likely a fair number at the top tier + 1 or 2 or so of some of all extras, Dish makes back their $500 to $625 investment WELL BEFORE the 24 month period ends, and Dish being catty at the end is just in poor taste and, ultimately, makes the company negative in the minds of too many people. I have heard quite a few people tell me how terribly they were treated when cancelling or other wise having to cease service who previous to such treatment at the end, had good things to say about Dish. Joe, you can fix this. This is just one of the "turn-around" problems you can address.

I'm guessing most of the churners are not premium subscribers. I could be wrong of course. I'm a long-time Dish sub and not a super premium subscriber and yet Dish has waived fees for me in the past for shipping replacement receivers. I would agree that if a premium or long-term sub cancelled, Dish might be better served by waiving the return fees.

You buy something off the internet and it don't work. In most cases, you have to pay return shipping and they pickup the return to you shipping cost after repair or replacement.