charges that don't make sense to me

turtlebud

Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
so my dish has been going out for the past week on and off. I finally called today to try and get it resolved. in the end, all 3 signals come up red (x), so they say it's a problem somewhere along the connection (ie, the dish itself, the connection into the house, the diplexer, etc.) and they need a service tech to come out and look at it.

here's the part that doesn't make sense to me - I have to pay for that service visit. either $95 flat fee or a $6 monthly fee + $15 for the visit (with the caveat that if I cancel the monthly service charge, I pay $25). I guess I just feel like it's a service that i'm paying for already and if it's broken, they should fix it, not charge me to fix it. maybe that's just me though and maybe it's also cause i'm upset that i missed two of my shows tonight cause of the outage.

Sorry.. But you pay for Programming which is the content...You are not paying for maintinance unless you have the service plan. You can try to re align the dish yourself and save money.

Well if your a LEASE CUSTOMER, then service should be included in the LEASE PRICE.

Or give a warranty that equal to the contract period so subs with throubles could cancel when things break.

Welcome to the world of satellite tv. If cable goes out, they come fix it. If satellite goes out after the 90 day install, you are on your own, basically.

It pays to learn what you can here.

Even though satellite and cable deliver a similar product, their business models are different. Cable rates are higher BECAUSE they include tech service in their rate fee, satellite does not.

You pay for it one way or the other - no free lunches.

bull

Well if your a LEASE CUSTOMER, then service should be included in the LEASE PRICE.

Or give a warranty that equal to the contract period so subs with throubles could cancel when things break.

You lease something else you don't get the service repair or maintenance free with that either. Example if you lease a car you don't get free gas or if you don't put oil in it and engine goes out that ain't free either.

You lease something else you don't get the service repair or maintenance free with that either. Example if you lease a car you don't get free gas or if you don't put oil in it and engine goes out that ain't free either.

Exactly. When I used to lease my vehicles, I don't remember Wells Fargo paying for my flat tires and such. According to the OP, I must have gotten screwed!:rolleyes:

Even though satellite and cable deliver a similar product, their business models are different. Cable rates are higher BECAUSE they include tech service in their rate fee, satellite does not.

You pay for it one way or the other - no free lunches.
That right there friend is probably about the best way to put it.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget the fact they actually PAY their technicians!

God forbid you pay for something you want done. I always expect to get everything done for free. I'm pretty sure this guy has lost his arguement.

It is like phone service. Remeber land lines? Ok, the monthly bill for most included a 9.95 wiring maintenace fee than can be cancelled. If tthe cat or dog pees on your phone jack, the phone company will come and fix it. Or your phone goes fooey. Take that charge off and you have to replace the phone or jack. It's an easy way to save $120 a year. But don't complain when the phone comany said they are going to charge you an ungodly sum when you call them and the problem turns out to be inside and you've cancelled the maintenance.

Ummm can you cancel that landline maintenance fee? In california if I remember correct you could not with pac bell, they said it was a federal fee when I asked.

You could always not subscribe to the wire fee with Pac Bell-SBC-ATT. Someone was pulling your leg when they said it was a federal fee. I didn't have it for years and I'm a retired Pac Bell employee. I could do my own internal maintenance. It now comes with my retired telephone plan so I now have it.