Charles We Want Espn2hd!!!

Curtis0620 said:
Only if you are counting quantity over quality. I'll take ESPN2-HD, Universal-HD, ABC-HD, NBC-HD, FOX-HD, and NFLST-HD, over all of VOOM.
Well when did directv get nbc-hd,fox-hd, and abc-hd. You can get those witha ota antenna on both. Isn't that why there sending up the new sats over the next couple years? If your a sports fan looking for hd then directv is for you if not dish hd would be more interesting for you. Personally i would prefer to have the voom21 in hd as opposed to espn2hd. With no hockey this year ESPN2HD is great only if your a big college sports fan but other than than what will be on there in HD besides sunday night baeball for the rest of the year. ESPN hardly ever does regular season NBA games in HD so whats so must see on espn2HD.

Lets not talk about UniverasalHD becasue thats the biggest waste of a HD channel in the world. Yeah they have the us open right now but once thats over its back to the endless loop of monk and law&order.

So other than NFLST-HD what real advantage does directv have in HD. They both show MLB-EI,NHL-CT,and NBALP games in HD.

"Technically directv has to catch up with dish. As of today dish offers the most HD of any carrier. By the end of the year when the offer all 21 voom channels they will have an enormous lead"

That is understood, what is important is that D* just added ESPNHD2 which will cater to "gearheads". E needs to match this mainsteam HD entry and not until MPEG4. If they were smart they would charge extra or add this channel to an upper tier to cater to the market. (all auto Racing is a huge demographic) There are 23-24 NHRA weekend races per year now which will be broadcast in HD (not a shabby amount of content) and unfortunately there is no going back once you've see one in 1080!

It has already been proven that espn and espn2 have shown HD programs at the same time, thus the need for two channels. I'm not sure the last time you checked, but it seems like almost every day their primetime game is in HD. Sure, not ALL mlb games are hd, but they are getting better. Now that college football season is upon us, there are a bunch of CFB games in HD that we cant get on dish.

Give us espn2-hd dish!!!!

liquidnw said:
Well when did directv get nbc-hd,fox-hd, and abc-hd. You can get those witha ota antenna on both.
Maybe YOU can get digital OTA signals, but there's a LOT of people that can not. The same people that got this whole business (satellite direct to home) started. :cool:

No they didn't. E* was in business for several years before they started offering locals.

And more people can get HD locals OTA than can get their analog locals OTA. In fact, tens of millions can get HD locals OTA.

Likewise, even if E* offered all of the national network feeds in HD, most people would not qualify to receive them. If I switched to D*, I would not qualify for ABC, NBC, CBS, or FOX HD. So what good would it be to me that D* "carried" them?

jrock21 "You have missed the point. During peak football and basketball seasons, ESPN could not show 2 Games in HD at the same time without 2 HD Channels"

excuse me but i can only watch one game at a time and ESPN can not show two NFL games to anyone because D* has the NFL locked up. now if you are saying that ESPN can bring me two HD prgrams at once beyond the NFL i would agree that a second channel is worth while but as far as i am comcerned 24 hours of HD a day on one channel is worth far more than 8 hours of HD a month on two channels.

just my 2 cents

HokieEngineer said:
It has already been proven that espn and espn2 have shown HD programs at the same time, thus the need for two channels. I'm not sure the last time you checked, but it seems like almost every day their primetime game is in HD. Sure, not ALL mlb games are hd, but they are getting better. Now that college football season is upon us, there are a bunch of CFB games in HD that we cant get on dish.

Give us espn2-hd dish!!!!

are you insane?!?!?! yes one or two game a week are in HD. i dont usually see two but still i will concede that point. that takes up 6 hours a week!!!!
how about we fill the rest of the hours before we start charging for another channel? thank you! besides the only channel i know that plays one HD game a day is the extra innings package and i am locked out of the dodgers angels and padres. imagine that!!!! i live in one city but i am locked out of three. thanks dish and MLB.
there is no reason to have a second ESPN HD channel until they can at least half fill the current one.

ESPN HD does not have enough HD content as it is.. its all upconverted SD.. I see absolutely no reason for them to have a 2nd HD channel.. they should focus on doing the first one right, instead of two (or more!) half-assed channels.

It would just be a waste of bandwidth overall to have two HD channels, when one can do it all (if done right)

richmert said:
jrock21 "You have missed the point. During peak football and basketball seasons, ESPN could not show 2 Games in HD at the same time without 2 HD Channels"

excuse me but i can only watch one game at a time and ESPN can not show two NFL games to anyone because D* has the NFL locked up. now if you are saying that ESPN can bring me two HD prgrams at once beyond the NFL i would agree that a second channel is worth while but as far as i am comcerned 24 hours of HD a day on one channel is worth far more than 8 hours of HD a month on two channels.

just my 2 cents

I gues I am a better "flipper" than you. I watch 2 games at the same time all the time. Heck, when I use Picture in Picture, I can easily keep up with 4 games at a time :) . Sports were meant to be seen in HD! Keep 'em coming ESPN!

Tom Bombadil said:
No they didn't. E* was in business for several years before they started offering locals.
Re-read my post.

The people I'm talking about are the ones that had BUDs 10 years or more before Charlie quit selling them door-to-door. I was installing them 5 years before Dish (not E*, but Dish) was started - and I'm a newbie compared to my associate down the hill - he started in 1980, and was screwed by Charlie not long after!

The arguments over Sports HD channels or movies/general HD channels seem rediculous to me. We all want more HD. Some want movies, some want sports.

There are times when ESPN and ESPN2 both carry good games at the same time. Should sports events change the schedule to carry games at 3:00am so that the HD crowd can see them all without using as much bandwith? That would be crazy. Do the networks carry HD all the time? Maybe ABC, CBS, FOX, and, NBC should not carry HD content until they are HD 24/7.

The Voom channels are HD 24/7, but have very little good content. You could take the good content and condense it to maybe 2 channels and free up bandwith. Rave plays screensavers about 18hours a day. If you want to see LAB: just connect your computer to your tv.

Until there is enough bandwith to put more HD channels up, and more decent HD content to fill those channels schedules, we will continue to argue about which is better, HD 24/7 with 18hours of fill in junk true HD, or HD when available and upconvert the rest of the time.

jrock21 said:
I gues I am a better "flipper" than you. I watch 2 games at the same time all the time. Heck, when I use Picture in Picture, I can easily keep up with 4 games at a time :) . Sports were meant to be seen in HD! Keep 'em coming ESPN!

thats cool flip all you want but i doubt you are getting HD in a split screen environment so there is no need to broadcast everything in HD. so get the sports pack and flip all day. i do it during NFL season but it doesnt mean i want my bill to go up just to see half a game on one channel and the other half on another and get blacked out of the ones i really care about.

look all i am saying is if they can add ESPN2 without raising my bill and without taking band width away from any other channel go for it. let those who want to pay for it pay the entire burden. but i guarantee that next year when they raise their rates they will be saying "well everyone was screaming for ESPN2 and that costs money and bandwidth and somebody has to pay for it" If they have the band width I am all for them adding ESPN2 and asking you to pay 15 dollars a month for it like a movie channel but until they have ala carte program selection i dont want my bill to go up for 6 hours of HD a week on one channel.

I get the locals over the air and i dont mind that they are only HD in prime time. no big deal. i dont see anyone screaming for CBS 2 or NBC 2 or ABC 2 but ESPN is a premium channel and should be billed as such. But if you are going to force my HD package price to go up by adding ESPN2 pleaes wait until they have something to show in HD. If i had a choice now i would probably drop ESPN from my HD package. i am so tired if seeing the guide say they are broadcasting cool stuff and then tuning in and seeing grey espn bars. MLB in HD cool...tune in...no HD. little leagues baseball in HD...tune in...no HD. college footbal in HD...tune in...no HD. european rule chinese ping pong in HD...tune in... no HD. So add all the channels you want but dont increae my bill for more garbage.

ps i was just kidding about the ping pong. i never saw that in the guide.

happy NFL season. may the flipper be with you. i know mine will see some action starting this weekend.

HDTVFanAtic said:
I can think of about 10 other HD Sources I would want long before ESPN2.
Ditto. :yes It's a rare day when I can sit my butt down for 3 or more hours to waste time watching a bunch of sweaty men grunt and crunch each other. I played football as a kid but just can't get into watching very much of any sport. About the only time I actually watch is during the championships and the Stuper Bowl. I can think of many better ways to fill my time. :yes

liquidnw said:
Well when did directv get nbc-hd,fox-hd, and abc-hd. You can get those witha ota antenna on both. Isn't that why there sending up the new sats over the next couple years? If your a sports fan looking for hd then directv is for you if not dish hd would be more interesting for you. Personally i would prefer to have the voom21 in hd as opposed to espn2hd. With no hockey this year ESPN2HD is great only if your a big college sports fan but other than than what will be on there in HD besides sunday night baeball for the rest of the year. ESPN hardly ever does regular season NBA games in HD so whats so must see on espn2HD.

Lets not talk about UniverasalHD becasue thats the biggest waste of a HD channel in the world. Yeah they have the us open right now but once thats over its back to the endless loop of monk and law&order.

So other than NFLST-HD what real advantage does directv have in HD. They both show MLB-EI,NHL-CT,and NBALP games in HD.

DUDE!!!! THEY'VE (Directv) HAD THEM (HD-ABC, FOX, CBS, & NBC) SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THIS YEAR AND PART OF LAST YEAR :eek: (I know for a fact b/c i've been watching them in all their HD glory). It's the one big gaping hole in the E* line up. E* is sitting on their hands until the voom sat is approved by the FCC. Until then E* subs are just left to ROT!!!!! and with a flagship reciever PVR with ONLY ONE OTA!!! (HOW MUCH MORE sh!tty CAN IT GET?). E* used to be the shiznit a year ago now thier just SH*T until rainbow 1 & MPEG 4 hits. In the mean time your screwed.

Patience is a virtue (someone once said).

Dish will add lots of glorious HD content when they have enough bandwidth and MPEG4 rolls out. Plain and simple.

The majority of folks feel the Direct picture quality is inferior to Dish.

Rather than over-compress it's signals and allow picture quality to suffer, Dish should "stay the course" (where have I heard that before?) and add HD content that subscribers won't consider soft.

Believe me, Dish will find a way to stay competitive with Direct.

I suspect the next six months will be very rewarding for Dish subs.

David Dietzel said:
Patience is a virtue (someone once said).

Dish will add lots of glorious HD content when they have enough bandwidth and MPEG4 rolls out. Plain and simple.

The majority of folks feel the Direct picture quality is inferior to Dish.

Rather than over-compress it's signals and allow picture quality to suffer, Dish should "stay the course" (where have I heard that before?) and add HD content that subscribers won't consider soft.

Believe me, Dish will find a way to stay competitive with Direct.

I suspect the next six months will be very rewarding for Dish subs.

With E*'s track record of roll out, more like 9 months to a year more. As for D*'s lesser picture quality and over compressioning, you are completely dead on the money for argument, but right now my attitude is something is better than nothing. E* has some major ground to cover to catch up. Charlie said this was going to a dim year for E* and he was totally right! My guess for E* is nothing solidly new/good till next summer (which totally sucks) and even then it's only an "if" considering they are parting ways with Eldon next year with the exeception of legacy equipment (rumor has it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)