Charlie Approaches DIRECTV about a Merger.

What a nightmare for anyone who would have to adhere to price restrictions in rural markets. The city folks would be crying foul all over the place, therefore upsetting the larger markets (why do we have to pay more than they do?). I can't fathom how that could be reasonably expected or implemented.
Comcast already doesn't now with different prices for different regions of the country. Not sure why this would be any different.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Comcast already doesn't now with different prices for different regions of the country. Not sure why this would be any different.
Actually, I think Dish already does it now. Aren't there some states/areas where they have added additional fees where they claim it costs them more to do business?

From this mornings SeekingAlpha.

Analysts weigh in on Dish-DirecTV merger talk • 9:45 AM

• Wells Fargo thinks it make strategic sense for Dish Network's (DISH -0.3%) Charlie Ergen to be knocking on the door of his counterpart at DirecTV (DTV -0.8%).
  • Exploring a merger borders on a fiduciary responsibility given the M&A activity in the pay-TV sector.
  • It wouldn't surprise analyst Marci Ryvicker if yesterday's headline story was leaked from inside of Dish to get the due diligence discussion in overdrive.
  • If Dish and DirecTV agree to some sort of price freezes on rural regions where it will be dominant, there's a chance regulators would let the merger progress, thinks Ryvicker.

Of course Wall Street wants to see this happen. Nothing like merger fees to help the bottom line of investment bankers. They will all try to egg it on and try to be the one that gets the deal.

If they were to agree to continue nationwide pricing for 5+ years they might be able to make a good argument to regulators, but I still do not see it happening given the cell phone example of AT&T trying to buy T-Mobile, going from 4 down to 3 national competitors.

If they were to agree to continue nationwide pricing for 5+ years they might be able to make a good argument to regulators, but I still do not see it happening given the cell phone example of AT&T trying to buy T-Mobile, going from 4 down to 3 national competitors.

I sure hope you're right!

Oh please, Everyone with an 8th grade education knows that each state is only allowed two Senators where as the house of representatives are based upon actual population. That's why Illinois has more seats in the house than Montanna. You know because more people live in Montanna than Illinois.... :rolleyes:

I don't see people crying foul in rural areas when they pay higher gas cost because it costs more to ship gas out there then in the city, but then again its a two way street because your taxed more in the city. Usually the suburbs are the cheapest where rural and metro city prices are skyrocketed.

Bob you obviously have no clue how things work in rural areas.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Folks again I ask PLEASE keep it on topic and not about each other. I had to remove a few posts that were nothing more than name calling. That is NOT allowed here. We don't like to over moderate here and I don't want to have to ban some really good users over this silly stuff.

Please remember the golden forum rule. Everyone has an opinion. That opinion might be wrong, but it might be right. The most important thing is that user was able to share their opinion. :) (Ok I just made that up and it sounds stupid... but I am so burned out from all I got going on at the moment I can't think of something better to post. :D)

Break up the bundle model, and allow alacarte. Maybe you'll get me to go along with a merger after that.
Unfortunately thats up to the programmers and not the satellite companies. And I don't see programmers changing that business model at this time unfortunately. :(

Unfortunately thats up to the programmers and not the satellite companies. And I don't see programmers changing that business model at this time unfortunately. :(
Sure they would if that is what it takes to allow a merger between Comcast/TWC.

Channels not involved in M&A will most certainly not un-bundle until forced to do so by law. They extort too much money from us the way it is now.

Bob you obviously have no clue how things work in rural areas.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Oh I don't... Well damn! I guess living 12 years of my life in a small town of less than 250 amounts to nothing.. (Danforth, IL ) I guess the fact the closest grocery store was 7 miles and the prices were absorbingly inflated meant nothing. Or the fact that the closest Walmart or any major shopping was 30 miles away. Or detaseling corn as a teenager really didn't happen. ;) Nullius in verba!

41pmz-FplgL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)