Charlie Chat.... Your thoughts...

It was enough to cancel my in front of line 921 & 811 orders and jump to VOOM. The longer I stay up tonight the closer it gets. Will hold onto 500 for taping for ... the for5seeable future .. the way HD for SuperDish is going.

Well, I just changed directions. Last month I sold my 6000 in anticipation of the 811. I pre-ordered it from DishDepot ( I found you guys since then) Then I was really thinking of cancelling and I put myself on your 921 waiting list.
After todays chat, I just fired off an e-mail cancelling my 811 and ordered a Samsung OTA tuner off eBay. I think I'll wait for the dust to settle and maybe when Dish gets it's act together I'll reconsider.

Nick said:
Notice it's usually the "Guest" posters who are leaving in droves to go over to D*.

Good observation, Nick. I guess they think the pending "Rupert Rap" will be more informative.

I actually forgot about the chat and missed it. Sounds like I lucked out.

Is this typical of Dish to delay equipment and introduce bugs into existing product? Why the bash against DirecTV, wouldn't time be better spent bashing cable?

Well its really hard for some to bash cable after what they have went through with satellite. In some areas cable is doing things that satellite has not and cannot do at this time even if it does cost a little more. I have seen some pretty good deals on cable packaging lately in some areas and its going to be hard to get those people (especially with high speed internet such as myself) off the cable system.

Chat Sucked

I missed charlie chat b/c I was buying a Sony HD200 that I found a great deal on ($400), thinking that if I can get an 811 on the 15th then I will go with it but I have been without HD for a week now. I sold my 6000 on ebay for $550, and thought I would base my final decision on the chat tonight which I recorded on my PVR. I called Directv and they said that they would happily give me a 2 tuner Hughes PVR for a $100 and install everything for free. Guess what? my decision is made, I am going back to D* after two years away, they actually sound like they know what they are doing.

I think the 921 wont be out till a few weeks before the now Direct TIVO with HDTV DVR recording.

Oh but wait. That means I have to wait also on my decision. Looks like if I wait for an other 3 weeks after the 921 rolls out I will have the options of a 921 OR a Direct TV that is a HDTV DVR. I wonder whay I will choose.

I hope Dishs adds some more channels to HDTV to make the choice easy. If not, I know here I will go.

Help me understand this-

Charlie says they will have certain locals up on the new superdish beginning on the 13th. Then he says you can only order it when your locals appear on the Superdish. Then he says it will take 30 to 60 days to get you scheduled for an install. Why put channels up on the bird if nobody can watch them for 30 to 60 days?

If I need a superdish to receive the new HD channels, how can I get one if they won't sell one?

I'm really looking forward to 2006 when all this will be behind us but I'm not taking any bets!

I was really disappointed that grandma wasn't on this month to demo her quilts made from rags. The guests seem to be the most exciting aspect of Charlie Chats anymore. I hope next month, Charlie will invite a guest to discuss relaxation to new age music to fall asleep by. Something like this could add real energy to Charlie Chats show and if he can't get that guest, how about someone from the post office to talk for 45 minutes on how to properly apply a stamp to an envelope.
:D

PS- What's a 921? :rolleyes:

They were talking about how many HD channels they have on the air now and mentioned HD pay per view, don't they know that it is no longer available on the 61.5 bird.

No, because Digital Cable has much better crystal clear picture, and, Digital Cable offers more HDTV, including local hdtv!!!!

Yep. I called yesterday to order superdish, and I was told by a CSR and their supervisor, that I COULD NOT and CANNOT have one because I already have all the dish setup I need. I mentioned I have HD package and wanted to be ready for upcoming new HD (StarzHD that Charlie let slip about once) and they said .... nothing coming anytime soon, and I would just have to wait until it is up on the satellite before we can even think about ordering Superdish. I believe that is going to be some time.
I absolute can't believe that they aren't putting up BravoHD and StarzHD (and HallmarkHD?) December 1 for Superdish 105 setups.
Local cable putting up all the same HDs Dish has plus LOCALS in HD. Bye Dish on HD until they get their act together on new HD channels. May even opt for rest of cable instead too, picture isn't as "soft." It was the 921 PVR that really was the carrot dangling in front of me, but I'm tired of waiting.

What a travesty. They have done a complete 180 in just one month. That 921 won't be released this year. No way. Neither will the 811 and neither will the Superdish (except for a lucky few).

Simply depressing. As long as my 5000 works and I can record HD, I will (im)patiently wait.

If someone has the last 4 or 5 (or 10) chats on tape somewhere, it would be really funny to loop all the different wait till next month comments from Charlie and the Tech Guys together. Maybe show Charlie say wait till the tech chat, then show Dave kick it back to Charlie again.

This has gotten silly. I only wish I had picked up the new Hughes HD receiver when Circuit City had it for $369 last week. I could have made a ton of money selling my old DishPlayers and 6000 on eBay and converting to it and 2 HDVR's

They lost me

After that 1 hour waste of time, I am gone. I encourage everyone to call Dish and tell them to cancel your account and call back when they get serious. How can they string us along like this. I rather have Voom right now than dish. Impeach Charlie!

But you know Dish could be just like Directv and not tell you anything till it came out. So I guess a little bit of info is better than nothing at all. Even if it is nothing but a fluff peice for sports and bullsh*t conversation between Charlie and Jim.

MikeD-C05 said:
But you know Dish could be just like Directv and not tell you anything till it came out. So I guess a little bit of info is better than nothing at all. Even if it is nothing but a fluff peice for sports and bullsh*t conversation between Charlie and Jim.

Normally I would agree but with what's transpired the last year I think I'd prefer to be kept in the dark. Being strung out for months (Superdish) or years (921) is doing nothing but ticking me off to no extent.

Tune in next chat...

And the winner for the most awarded but least delivered vaporware goes to .....

to be discussed by our panel of irrelevant guests on our next Charlie chat...

I have been hearing this scenario for way too long. I could not believe that the flagship of the HD world, the 921 wasn't even on the menu of last night's chat. They have been touting this "most awarded hardware" for over 3 years! I patiently waited last year, hoping to have it in time for football season. Then it was promised for October so I hoped to have it before Thanksgiving. Then it was promised in NOV. and I hoped to have it before Christmas. NOW, WHO KNOWS!!!

Here's the High Definition line-up from the leaders in HD!

Free Superdish if you subscribe to HD package (but you can't get it and won't get it before the free promotion runs out unless you are in a new locals market).

New 811 receiver due out maybe mid DEC (but you know how those engineers are, right Charlie "wink,wink")

New 921 receiver due out (tune in next chat to find out when)

But hey! we're the leaders in HD.

My HD Dreams with Dish were pronounced dead at approx. 8:53 PM CDT.

Thanks for the ride Charlie, but I am now seeking a more DIRECT TV approach!

Re: Tune in next chat...

Maddogg said:
I could not believe that the flagship of the HD world, the 921 wasn't even on the menu of last night's chat. They have been touting this "most awarded hardware" for over 3 years!
You haven't been waiting three years for the 921.

2003 Consumer Electronics Show
  • Best of Show: EchoStar's DishPVR 921[/list:u]
    2002 Consumer Electronics Show
    • Best of Show: EchoStar's DishPVR 721[/list:u]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)