Charlie Chat.... Your thoughts...

Someone should also loop all the 811 price increases. That would be really funny to hear it goung up $100 each chat.

I believe it was also $499 according to the PowerPoint presentation at the Charleston meeting this evening for the 811. They also said that channels 3-NBC, 8-ABC, 11-FOX, and 13-CBS will probably go up the beginning of December for the Charleston/Huntington/Portsmouth DMA.

The SuperDish Phase 1 is metal using 2" poles while the SuperDish Phase 2 is fiberglass/plastic using 2 3/8" poles. They said more than likely we will have the 2 3/8" poles for the Charleston, WV DMA. These dishes may be in short supply at first though.

I was also told that the 311 would not be released until next year (at least to independent retailers).

Nick said:
Notice it's usually the "Guest" posters who are leaving in droves to go over to D*.
I find "Guest" posters to be the least useful on *any* forum. For all we know that could be the same "Guest" mass posting - since they won't pick a single name to use.

I don't mind people not giving name rank and serial number. I don't need (any more) calls at work aboy my internet postings. But "Guest" people who won't sign up as a member? Perhaps the default name for non-registered posters should be "Troll". That's the way I read it, lately.

JL

Maybe the forum rules should be changed so that non-registered users aren't allowed to post in the forums. Might help cut down on the rift raft.

Anonymous said:
Charlie Chat sucked, I now go to Directv. goodbye Dish!

Wow, another anonymous guest switching to D*.

Which is the 15th time this year from the same poster I'm guessing....

rad said:
Maybe the forum rules should be changed so that non-registered users aren't allowed to post in the forums. Might help cut down on the rift raft.

Not likely, it would just firce them to create a bunch of aliases......

Basically, take anything said by someone with 25 posts or less with a grain of salt.

Just checking my post count. :)

You have to admit, Flip Flop Flap Jack Charlie Chat has a ring to it...

Mr. Ergen, do the right thing. Relinquish my good name, Charlie, before you do irreparable damage.

Don Landis said:
If I need a superdish to receive the new HD channels, how can I get one if they won't sell one?

With all the locals that Charlie plans to put on 105, I don't see there being any room for new HD. In fact, if he keeps loading it up, there won't be room for the old HD. There certainly won't be room for "up to 50 HD channels" as advertised at the conventions. :rolleyes:

--- WCS

wcswett said:
Don Landis said:
If I need a superdish to receive the new HD channels, how can I get one if they won't sell one?

With all the locals that Charlie plans to put on 105, I don't see there being any room for new HD. In fact, if he keeps loading it up, there won't be room for the old HD. There certainly won't be room for "up to 50 HD channels" as advertised at the conventions. :rolleyes:

--- WCS

I agree that I don't think they can do 50 HD on the current 105 satellite. But in 2004 there's supposed to be a replacement launched, that's higher power, and with that they might be able to hit the 50 mark between 105 and the 119/110 slots.

I fell asleep (didn't watch it live, but at around 11PM) and had to rewind it, only to realize that I didn't miss anything.

I also must say that I have been waiting for the 921 for a long time (seems like an eternity). I was hoping to swap out my 4700 for a 921. Thus giving me a 501, 721 and 921. I am going to seriously evaluate my options when D* comes out with their HD DVR receiver. I am also going on the assumption if they were to release the 921 today in quantity, that there would be some serious bugs in it and would need to wait 6 to 12 months for a SW release to hopefully fix them before buying.

Jeff

rad said:
That is an option. Alternately, I believe there is a phpBB module to allow registered users to ignore posts from specific individuals.

Anonymous said:
rad said:
That is an option. Alternately, I believe there is a phpBB module to allow registered users to ignore posts from specific individuals.
The Ignore button doesn't show for "guest" posts.

IIRC, the board software relies on user number behind the scenes. "Guest" doesn't have a user number.

JL

justalurker said:
The Ignore button doesn't show for "guest" posts.
IIRC, the board software relies on user number behind the scenes. "Guest" doesn't have a user number.
Not good. :-(
What about installing the Cash Mod?

justalurker said:
[Just register and stop using guest?
I would but, I doubt I'll hang around once my current upgrade cycle is complete. Why have another dead account taking space in your database?

Planned upgrade:
2" OD ground pole install (conduit, proper grounding, etc.)
two 311/one 522 with dishpro switch
OTA antenna with rotor

I'll probably look at upgrading again at the end of 2006. Will this forum be here, and will I remember my login? Probably no to both questions. Things change to fast on the Internet.

I agree that waiting for the 811 or 921 has been painful.

I wanted HDTV and looked at my options
Option 1:
Stay With Dish: Receiver with 8vsb = $149 with no commitment
Option 2:
Voom = $700+?
Option 3:
D* = ? $149 with no commitment and off air ability? I don't think so!
Option 4
Wait for the 811 or 921 = Got tired of waiting last month

My conclusion: Option 1 has made me happy and I am learning to break my addiction to the DVR just in time to miss the fee's on the 921. The continued delays just made me happier that I stopped waiting for the 811 or 921 and got the 6000. I will not buy a receiver for at least a year now and when they are able to distribute the superdish for more HD, I'll get that.

Anonymous said:
rad said:

Which WON'T work if someone like you doesn't log in. Unless you want to set the default to IGNORE all "Guest" postings. Which might not be a bad idea after all.

I actually have been thinking to make all posting registered only. :)

You should see some of the garbage I delete here. :)

Continue this discussion in the satelliteguys help areas and see what other think. :D

Another thing that pi$$ed me off during the Flip Flop Charlie Chat was the response to the NFL-TV carriage question, "Well, it's awfully expensive, and you get the same thing on ESPN Classics"

Yea, right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)