Charlie Ergen: Dish’s Blockbuster Didn’t Have “Guts” To Challenge Netflix

I find it's mostly 20 and 30-something idiots with iphones, wearing stupid hats and footwear who make these statements. They are the same people who seem to think watching TV and movies on phones and tablets is better than on a 65" plasma. Idiots.

tell us how you really feel.......folks back in 1920 probably felt the same way about you......just a different generation...

oh and btw.....it's an Eminence Front, it's a put on...

Last edited:
The fact is that DVD/BD discs will die, and be replaced by streaming. That is a given.

But, I hate it when people talk about it as if it's dead now. It is not. It has a few years left due to the huge user base.
I totally agree with you. My family watch a lot of streaming, but we also watch discs, both dvd and bd. Let's be honest, it's the content owners who want this a lot more than the consumers. Total control of the product, while getting you to pay $20+ for it is utopia for them.
I find it's mostly 20 and 30-something idiots with iphones, wearing stupid hats and footwear who make these statements. They are the same people who seem to think watching TV and movies on phones and tablets is better than on a 65" plasma. Idiots.
While I sure as hell don't watch content on a cell phone, tablets and laptops aren't that bad. You have to remember when you were young. How often were you at the same place for a long-time? When always on the move or you share an apartment or dorm room, everyone wants to watch their own stuff. One large tv in the living room doesn't meet that requirement. Different lifestyles have different needs.

You have to remember when you were young. How often were you at the same place for a long-time? When always on the move or you share an apartment or dorm room, everyone wants to watch their own stuff. One large tv in the living room doesn't meet that requirement. Different lifestyles have different needs.
When I was young, I lusted after a big TV. Of course, a big TV was 25". But, a 25" color TV sure was a step up from my 19" B&W. Later, when my parents got a 17" Trinitron, which was Sony's largest screen, at the time, I still longed for a 25", even if the picture on a 3-gun CRT didn't equal that of the revolutionary Trinitron single-gun tube. (Bit of irony - The Trinitron tube was invented by RCA. But, they didn't think it was economical to pursue, so they sold the rights to Sony. RCA went on to die, while Sony became huge.)

tell us how you really feel.......folks back in 1920 probably felt the same way about you......just a different generation...

oh and btw.....it's an Eminence Front, it's a put on...
Stupid is stupid, regardless of age. Your posts prove that fact on a daily basis. :D

But, quoting Pete Townsend gives you points, even if it's not really applicable. :cool:

So what is Dish's current vision for the future of Blockbuster? I read 2 days ago where Blockbuster store closings of the near future will leave them with around 500 stores nationwide.

When I was young, I lusted after a big TV. Of course, a big TV was 25". But, a 25" color TV sure was a step up from my 19" B&W. Later, when my parents got a 17" Trinitron, which was Sony's largest screen, at the time, I still longed for a 25", even if the picture on a 3-gun CRT didn't equal that of the revolutionary Trinitron single-gun tube. (Bit of irony - The Trinitron tube was invented by RCA. But, they didn't think it was economical to pursue, so they sold the rights to Sony. RCA went on to die, while Sony became huge.)

After I graduated college and got a real job, I saved enough money to buy a "Home Theater", or the 1980 version. I bought a Sony receiver that had connections for two vcr's and a tape deck so I could dub video and audio together. A 19" Zenith color tv and a RCA vhs vcr. The trouble was, I rarely was home to watch tv and even when I was I usually had friends over and was doing something else.

Man that Zenith was great. It became the main set after I was married in 1989 (my wife had a 12" b&w tv). We used it until the power switch went bad and then replaced it with a 32" Panasonic in 1999 (which we still have in our bedroom). The Sony receiver was crap though. Nowhere near as good as the Pioneer I bought in the 70's while still in high school (I still use it). Blew a channel out twice and fixed it once. I didn't buy another Sony product until 2003 when I bought my kids a PS2 slim for Christmas.

Last edited:
I buy few BDs now compared to a few years ago. When BD first came out I bought a ton of movies. Now the BD pretty much has to have a free iTunes copy with it before I consider it.

(Bit of irony - The Trinitron tube was invented by RCA. But, they didn't think it was economical to pursue, so they sold the rights to Sony. RCA went on to die, while Sony became huge.)
That is incorrect. Sony did indeed take over the development of the Chromatron tube (a project heavily funded by Paramount Pictures and with no ties to RCA) but eventually abandoned it due to economic and reliability issues. There had been erroneous statements than Trinitron and Chromatron were essentially the same...all false. Trinitron was finally developed entirely by Sony and began production in the late 60's. The real irony is they were one of the last entrants into the Color TV business...and quickly went on to dominate it, pre-HDTV.

So I assume eventually the entire Blockbuster thing will disappear and I will get that $10 a month chopped off my bill?

The fact is that DVD/BD discs will die, and be replaced by streaming. That is a given.

But, I hate it when people talk about it as if it's dead now. It is not. It has a few years left due to the huge user base.

Hey! I'm one of those idiots but I also like to watch TV on my 70" LOL

So I assume eventually the entire Blockbuster thing will disappear and I will get that $10 a month chopped off my bill?
I doubt Dish gets rid of the package. It has been around in one form or another long before Dish bought Blockbuster. Maybe if the disc portion goes away, Dish will reduce the package price?

I think times just change. I have a 65 inch at home but I also have an iphone, android, ipad and a few pcs and i watch on all my devices depending on where I am and what I'm doing. I'm in that 20-30 age range but I would definitely not classify myself as an idiot, and I even wear ties and dress attire every day, so actually, I'm a bit offended by that very generic statement.

:rant:

Stupid is stupid, regardless of age. Your posts prove that fact on a daily basis. :D

But, quoting Pete Townsend gives you points, even if it's not really applicable.

a superiority complex is a superiority complex, your posts prove that, all 13,000 plus (get a life).....calling a demographic idiots proves that as well....

:cool:

edit....your points are WORTHLESS to me, Thanks anyway...........

Last edited:
What about sound quality?

And the sound, which is 60% of the viewing experience, is even worse.

Because he is the head of the single worst company in entire nation to work for.

I am confused. If you feel that way, why are you a subscriber? Why not go to D* and leave us peons alone with the worst company in the entire nation? Your statement makes no sense. If I deal with a company that bad, it is only once. I never deal with them again. I would even pay the "penalty" to leave E* before my contract is up. While I admit they have some problems, they are no way close to the "worst company in the entire nation!"