Charlie Ergen is the most hated man in Hollywood

And in February, Dish claimed CBS forced The Big Bang Theory actress Kaley Cuoco to delete a sponsored tweet endorsing Hopper, even though there was no evidence the actress was pressured. At a March event honoring Moonves, Cuoco announced, "I would like to take this opportunity to say one thing: Leslie, f--- the Dish Network."
Bad, bad journalism. "There was no evidence"...the story leaves out the part of Kaley's quote where she defiantly asks Leslie, "There, you happy now?", which is direct evidence that she was pressured to say and do what she did.

After reading the article, I'm sure he is hated by that industry, but they love the money they make because of him.

Good for Charlie as I think he's making mostly the right choices.

Man they should fact check their articles before posting them.

The Hopper was not released in January nor was it released with AutoHop. AutoHop was not added to the Hopper until May. It also says all 4 networks are suing DISH over the Hopper, not true as ABC is not part of the lawsuit.

It list Dave Shull's title wrong...

But since its a paper slanted to the Hollywood crown I guess I can understand its anti DISH stance in the article.

But that's not to say that a lot of the article isn't true. I think its safe to say Charlie likes to do this differently... his way.

I'm sure Charlie is losing sleep over this and will do something to make those in Hollywood like him more.

~ I know April Fools day was 2 days ago.

Man they should fact check their articles before posting them.

The Hopper was not released in January nor was it released with AutoHop. AutoHop was not added to the Hopper until May. It also says all 4 networks are suing DISH over the Hopper, not true as ABC is not part of the lawsuit.

It list Dave Shull's title wrong...

But since its a paper slanted to the Hollywood crown I guess I can understand its anti DISH stance in the article.

But that's not to say that a lot of the article isn't true. I think its safe to say Charlie likes to do this differently... his way.

Scott you should know by listening to Stern that media outlets never check their facts or sources. Why do you think Capt Janks gets through to news outlets over and over. It just looks like they wanted to take a shot at Charlie and they did. I'm sure he really cares.

Something has to give somewhere. Between Aereo and netflix type services, the sat guys are getting killed. Cable is probably making it up on triple play service.

Sent from my S3 using SatelliteGuys

Something has to give somewhere. Between Aereo and netflix type services, the sat guys are getting killed. Cable is probably making it up on triple play service.

Sent from my S3 using SatelliteGuys

DirecTV is doing mighty well. But the future is scary for all MVPD's.

The folks at the Hollywood Reporter are lazy and far from the best "journalists." Variety, on the other hand, has some good reporters. What's sad it that other mainstream, large daily newspapers and blogs and TV and Radio use Hollywood Reporter (and other print publications) as their prayer mat or "rip and read" source, often with no attributions, so the inaccuracies propagate because they just repeat what was printed. But even the mainstream TV show biz journalists get it more wrong then even their flawed hard TV news colleagues.

I think the real story is that this is a battle among billionaires (the one white guy at the top of the media empire like Sumner and Rupert) and billion dollar companies. So much of the things cited in the article have nothing to do with Auto Hop issue. The article doesn't spend nearly enough ink laying out the case for the broadcasters. As if Les Moonves or his colleges aren't S.O.B.'s in their own right. Yeah, nobody yells in the TV biz. That's all they do on the sets and control rooms in Hollywood is yell at everyone. That's life in Hollywood: screaming at people.

Last edited:
Just remember Charlie is laughing with his 10 billion dollars all the way to the bank. He may be the most hated man in Hollywood, but he probably has more money available than a lot of the studios that are complaining about him.

Just remember Charlie is laughing with his 10 billion dollars all the way to the bank. He may be the most hated man in Hollywood, but he probably has more money available than a lot of the studios that are complaining about him.

Actually, the studios are all part of HUGE media empires and they have TONS way more cash and political influence. Charlie is the relative little guy here and Dish and Echostar the little companies even though Charlie's personal wealth (most of it on paper) puts him in the same club or bracket as the media moguls. Does not Ergan still attend those annual retreats with other media titans such as Rupert, et al.?

I would argue, and it is probably still true, that Brian Roberts is even MORE hated, but he is a broadcaster now, as well, but the Auto Hop has Hollywood distracted from Brain's far more ruthless history and tactics.

Actually, the studios are all part of HUGE media empires and they have TONS way more cash and political influence. Charlie is the relative little guy here and Dish and Echostar the little companies even though Charlie's personal wealth (most of it on paper) puts him in the same club or bracket as the media moguls. Does not Ergan still attend those annual retreats with other media titans such as Rupert, et al.?

I would argue, and it is probably still true, that Brian Roberts is even MORE hated, but he is a broadcaster now, as well, but the Auto Hop has Hollywood distracted from Brain's far more ruthless history and tactics.

And the "political influence " is big in all business today. Think about it, if cable didn't put big pressure on government on the DirectTV-Dish merger years ago we would not have DirectTV today. The customers did not complain about the merger, cable did and poured alot of money into influencing the outcome. And yes I know about the monopoly issue, but personal opinion is that without cable pushing for "no merger", Dish would have had DirectTV with all the locals already in place. Instead Dish built locals retransmission from scratch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts