Charlie Ergen Issues Statement on Net Neutrality Rules

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Just my opinion....

The real issue is who will pay to expand the infrastructure. My comcast is ~12 Mbps down. I could call and subscribe to FIOS 35 Mbps down/up. Great. What if people really start using bandwidth because they are streaming Nextflix, Youtube, Amazon VOD and using services like VOIP, ...etc. That's just the start. I stopped buying games earlier this year at the store. I just buy them on Steam now. It's easier. My router says I download about 33 to 35 Gigs a month now.

Now companies like Dish want to push even more over the internet. Which internet? Connections like my nearly saturated Comcast connection. I can easily see the degradation on the weekend. Its not completely bad yet, but could probably be upgraded. Who will pay for that? Comcast? Sure. Are they looking to get money from the content providers? Yes.

I completely support net neutrality, but I understand why they are complaining about it. Its only going to get worse if something isn't done about it.

This is what the truth is about what the FCC just passed:
The FCC says it passed net neutrality rules, but it's really just a corporate giveaway.

The White House and FCC are calling this is a victory -- don't believe the hype.

Dear Gene,

When the FCC tells you that the rules they voted on Wednesday will protect openness and freedom on the Internet, don't believe the hype. The FCC's chairman may call what they passed "net neutrality," but we know better.

The rules -- written to placate the broadband industry -- would give Internet service providers unprecedented power to profit through online discrimination, all at the expense of regular people.

This is beyond disappointing. President Obama promised us net neutrality,1 but what we got on Wednesday is far less -- it's fake net neutrality. This isn't a charge we level lightly. The proposal has serious loopholes that undermine the FCC's ability to protect many of us from broadband company abuses. Specifically:2

1. They enshrine different rules for wired and wireless Internet -- allowing big corporations to slow down or block websites and applications on your mobile phone.

2. They allow Internet service providers to set up tollbooths online, stifling new innovators who can't pay the fees the big corporations can.

3. For the first time, they embrace a tiered Internet -- a public Internet with publishing access for regular people vs. a private one controlled by major corporations, where they will shift future dollars for investment and innovation. In the new net, participation will based on the ability to pay corporate gatekeepers and not threatening their business interests. It will spell the end of the Internet as we know it.

In addition, it's not clear that the FCC will have the legal authority to enforce even these watered-down rules. Because Genachowski chose not to reclassify broadband, the rules could be struck down by courts. And Verizon is already contemplating a legal challenge.3

Despite these glaring shortcomings, President Obama and the FCC still call this net neutrality -- to telecom industry applause.4 It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

There's no denying that this is a real setback for our movement and our democracy. But the fight isn't over yet. As challenges to the new regulations arise, as the broadband industry tests the limits of the new laws, and as Congressional Republicans attempt to keep the FCC from ever enforcing net neutrality rules, we'll have new opportunities to fight for a free and open Internet. Thanks for being with us.

Until then, there's one concrete thing you can do to help. President Obama and Chairman Genachowski will continue to say they've passed real net neutrality rules in a cynical attempt to claim the fulfillment of a campaign promise. It's critical that we not let this narrative take hold. Please read this blog post by our friend Jason Rosenbaum of the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, and share it with everyone you know:

Jason Rosenbaum: BREAKING: FCC breaks Obama's promise, allows corporate censorship online with fake Net Neutrality

Thanks and Peace,

-- James, Gabriel, William, Dani, Natasha and the rest of the ColorOfChange.org team
December 23rd, 2010

Help support our work. ColorOfChange.org is powered by YOU -- your energy and dollars. We take no money from lobbyists or large corporations that don't share our values, and our tiny staff ensures your contributions go a long way. You can contribute here:

https://secure.colorofchange.org/contribute/

References:

1. "Watch Obama's Net Neutrality Promises, Promises, Promises," The Huffington Post, 8-13-2010
Watch Obama's Net Neutrality Promises, Promises, Promises (VIDEO)

2. "BREAKING: FCC breaks Obama's promise, allows corporate censorship online with fake Net Neutrality," The Huffington Post, 12-21-2010
Jason Rosenbaum: BREAKING: FCC breaks Obama's promise, allows corporate censorship online with fake Net Neutrality

3. "BREAKING: Verizon Weighing Lawsuit Against FCC," National Journal, 10-21-2010
BREAKING: Verizon Weighing Lawsuit Against FCC - Tech Daily Dose

4. "Net Neutrality Haters Love FCC's Rules," Huffington Post, 12-20-2010
Craig Aaron: Net Neutrality Haters Love FCC's Rules

--
You can unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts