self install Dish 500

sg9999

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
I have a 500 empty dish on the house and want to re up with my own receiver and tria with Dish..
I am good with installs..
what receiver and tria would you recommend I buy ..I would like to have DVR and the option to plug in a OTA antenna but I have doubts if I could get anything....single tv.... dont really care about High Def., it hurts my eyes..

ideas??? thanks

What is "tria" anyway? I am familiar with installing Dish satellite antennas and receivers as I have done my own several times, but I have never heard of "tria" related to Dish installation!

If you don't want HD but you do want an ATSC tuner input, then there is one (old) receiver for you. It was formerly called the 811, but can only handle MPEG-2 so it's useless for Dish-supplied HD. After Dish went all-MPEG4 for HD, then they rebadged this receiver and called it an SD 381. This is not a DVR, however. SD DVR receivers for single TVs include 501/508/510, and the 512 (itself a crippled 522). Duo SD receivers include the 522 and 625. I had the 501 (no fees) and a 625 for years and I liked them a lot.

If I skipped the OTA and HD programming.. what receiver would you buy and what LNB do I need..?? ANyplace in Portland OR storefront..??
I am just using this small 500 dish and dont want to change that..

:up to rexlan. The 501 and 508 are the only receivers left which do not incur the $6 DVR fee. You will need a twin LNB to go on your D500. Any twin will do, since the 50x can control any of them.

how much for the 508 and the LNB..?? where in the NW is a storefront I can pick them up..?? Portland/Seattle/Spokane

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)