Charlie Ergen on Distant Networks

Foreigners don't count! ;)

Tom in TX

Puerto Rico is a United States territory

"United States territory is any extent of region under the jurisdiction of the federal government of the United States, including all waters (around islands or continental tracts). The United States has traditionally proclaimed the sovereign rights for exploring, exploiting, conserving, and managing its territory. This extent of territory is all the area belonging to, and under the dominion of, the United States federal government (which includes tracts lying at a distance from the country) for administrative and other purposes. The United States total territory includes a subset of political divisions."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_territory

Last edited:
Foreigners don't count! ;)

Tom in TX

Dude.... let me informed you Puerto Ricans are US Born Citizens , check the facts before make such statement.

Puerto Rico's History

* In 1898, with the end of the Spanish American War Puerto Rico became a territory of the United States.
* In 1917, the Jones Act conferred U.S. citizenship to the people of Puerto Rico.
* In 1950, the U.S. Congress passed the Federal Relations Act, authorizing a process to approve a constitution for Puerto Rico, subject to the provisions of the United States Constitution.
* In 1952, Puerto Rico's Constitution came into effect granting internal self-government to the Island. The same set forth a democratic government modeled on the U.S. system, with the separation of powers among the branches of government.

Last edited:
BTW there is nothing wrong with someone from PR calling up and saying they are from Florida (or whereever) to get their message heard. :) (I dont believe PR has senators)

BTW there is nothing wrong with someone from PR calling up and saying they are from Florida (or whereever) to get their message heard. :) (I dont believe PR has senators)

We have a rep on Congress(Rep Fortuño)He can talk but he cannot vote,go figure.
But we can call him....

Luis G. Fortuño
Representing The People of Puerto Rico in the United States Congress

Washington D.C. Office

126 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone:202-225-2615
Fax: 202-225-2154

District Office

250 Calle Fortaleza
Old San Juan, PR 00901
Phone: 787-723-6333
Fax: 787-729-7738

Folks in PR should call, as they will be affected by this. They can just call in and give the name of a family member here in the US.

They don't because Puerto Rico isn't a state.

PR residents shouldn't bother calling either. Your call should be routed to your representative or senator and they don't have one.

Yep..That is the beauty of Democracy..We can go to war(I have served 10 years to our Navy and proud of it and 54 of the 3000 soldiers deaths on Iraq and Afghanistan are Puerto Ricans)But we cant vote for our President or our Senators or Reps because of what you state.

Last edited:
I actually got a good email response from my senator today. I'm sending another email back, but I will call them and advise them their votes are on the line. Seriously the freedom to choose what you want to watch should be with the people not the TV stations. :)

i emailed through the savemychannels site when it first came out. i think that was months ago. i just got a reply from my senator yesterday. below is what he sent.

Thank you for contacting me regarding distant television signals transmitted by direct broadcast satellite services. I appreciate your sharing these concerns with me.

Although a Federal judge recently ruled to stop EchoStar, which operates DISH Network, from transmitting distant signals in faraway markets, the legal dispute is still ongoing. Hopefully, EchoStar and the broadcast networks will reach a settlement that is in the consumers' best interest, and the government won't have to step in.

As a member of the Senate Commerce Committee, I will closely monitor this issue to ensure that Floridians do not unreasonably lose access to distant television signals. Your views are important and enable me to better serve you in the Senate. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future.

P.S. From time to time, I compile electronic news briefs highlighting key issues and hot topics of particular importance to Floridians. If you'd like to receive these e-briefs, visit my Web site and sign up for them at http://billnelson.senate.gov/news/ebriefs.cfm

i got the same message today from Bill Nelson. What a jerk it was the exact same message he sent me 2 months ago. What he either ignored or does not know is the injunction is a done deal. That to me is a big change it the legal case. What a focking dick! Too bad Hariis does not have a chance in hell of beating him

I would like to ask Charlie why E* continued to violate the rules, even after losing the initlal court case, thereby putting his current DNS subs into jeopardy. What did he hope to accomplish by this? And does he think that he owes them an apology for taking actions that led to the loss of those channels?

One other side of the story (don't believe everything Charlie says) . . . .

QUESTION:
Why cant Dish just uplink ALL the DMAs including the small ones like North Platte, Nebraska where there is only one station- NBC?

After all they have plenty of bandwidth as they are adding local HD channels.
There are only a few missing channels SD left. Dish could add them all right now if they wanted to using 129 sat and those side super dish sats and 148 and 61.5 and what ever else they have (all locals just have to be on one dish sat not one dish).

I talked to one congressman for western nebraska, and he is not happy with Dish. Dish has not added the North Platte DMA and many of the other smaller DMAs around the county. This congress man is in a farming area. He said Dish is just trying to make more money on the "city folks local HD" when they should first finish there SD roll out.

He said he is not going to help Dish until they first promise to add all SD DMAs around the county.

I guess I see the others point, Farmers watch TV also, and they need there local News and weather, not a national NY or LA local. Dish needs to finish the SD roll out.

Remember when Dish and Direct TV were going to merge, they promised all SD DMAs. So we know it can be done.

Just an other side of the debate. . . .

QUESTION:
Why cant Dish just uplink ALL the DMAs including the small ones like North Platte, Nebraska where there is only one station- NBC?

After all they have plenty of bandwidth as they are adding local HD channels.
There are only a few missing channels SD left. Dish could add them all right now if they wanted to using 129 sat and those side super dish sats and 148 and 61.5 and what ever else they have (all locals just have to be on one dish sat not one dish).

Well, there is NO reason why they can't, but if you stop to think about it, now that E* will NOT be able to offer even SV locals, these are the very markets that E* will have NO interest in serving. In these single-network DMA's, E* will NOT be able to offer ANY of the other 3 nets to these customers. (via SV from adjacent markets) Since most people in these markets would at least want all of the "big 4" nets, it would probably be difficult to get viewers to switch from cable (or even D*) where they DO get all of the nets, to another service & LOOSE these important networks. With this in mind, E* really has NO financial incentive to launch these single-net DMA's. (or even dual-net ones, either) They would probably NOT even be able to break even just on THEIR cost to uplink one of these stations, due to low subscribership.

The ONLY way they could do this, is if the law was rewritten somehow to allow SV stations as part of the LIL law, or to come up with a better way of designating which locals get carried in each area, instead of by Nielson DMA designations. (which I always thought was STUPID in the first place :rolleyes: )

Last edited:
I

Let Charlie write the $100 Million fine and let the good folks who have paid good money for their satellite system and were legal distant network customer contine enjoying the NBC Nightly News, Desprate Housewifes and all the other shows which are not available to them via an antenna.

The problem with the 100 million settlement is that it comes our of your pocket and mine ultimately. When the settlement is shown that the price is PURELY borne by the company for the company transgressions then it's a fair and equitable resolution.

I don't think Charlie should be allowed to pass the cost of the settlement onto us because of his bravdo.

I hope the judge took part of this into consideration when he ruled to affirm the resolution.

There's always room on 121 and 105 right? Remember all the SD's they pulled from these with Echostar X went live? Now the big hurdle is getting the retransmission agreements and the actual channel's content to the uplink facilities.

It still blows my mind that E* and D* are retransmitting all these TV stations! Ton of beams and bandwidth!

On another note.... I can hear the Starchoice and BellExpressVu broker's phones ringing off the hook now ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts