Charlie Ergen on Distant Networks

The problem with the 100 million settlement is that it comes our of your pocket and mine ultimately. When the settlement is shown that the price is PURELY borne by the company for the company transgressions then it's a fair and equitable resolution.

I don't think Charlie should be allowed to pass the cost of the settlement onto us because of his bravdo.

I hope the judge took part of this into consideration when he ruled to affirm the resolution.
Basic economics: No company ever pays for anything. The stockholders and customers bear the costs. (this is also why corporate taxes are a stupid idea)

Basic economics: No company ever pays for anything. The stockholders and customers bear the costs. (this is also why corporate taxes are a stupid idea)
That's a concept sooooo many people fail to comprehend. I've said that same thing myself many times, "no company eats that cost". Well, they do initially but they get it back soon enough.

Scott, who initiated this conversation between you and Charlie? You or him?
My money says it was Dish who contacted Scott. The average customer will do nothing about this except mumble... then they'll get over it and move on... Dish sees many of the members here as "vocal" and figures a lot will call or e-mail their congressional reps about this and they're taking advantage of that. Now, the fact that Charlie is using Satguys and it's members suggests they'd better listen to the comments and complaints here in the future. Hopefully Scott alluded to something along those lines when they spoke too.

I contacted Charlie via email on Monday Night and asked what we as a Satellite Community could do to help out our fellow Satellite Community members.

And yesterday afternoon I received an email back from Charlie asking me to call him, which I did.

To be honest this distant network issue does not effect me at all, however I don't run SatelliteGuys for me, I run it for all of our members, many of who will be effected by this, and thats why I want to help out as a community.

The sites name is not SatelliteGuy, it's SatelliteGuys with an s at the end, and you are all SatelliteGuys.

I think those who are legal DNS customers should be able to keep them. But why should I want to help a company that violates the law. Too many corporations think they are above the law. So now they want us to help? I think all should be cut off and then allow legitimate customers to file for DNS status afterwards.
Obviously, you are still in the "State of Confusion". Without Congressional action, Dish will be forced to turn off the DNS to ALL customers (legal or otherwise) and will be prohibited from EVER providing DNS to ANY customer. There will not be any opportunity to re-qualify for DNS through Dish. This action by the court really serves the public, doesn't it.:mad:

There will not be any opportunity to re-qualify for DNS through Dish. This action by the court really serves the public, doesn't it.:mad:
Yes and again I will state even all of the broadcasters want Dish to continue carrying the Distants, well except for the 25 FOX owned and operated stations (and we all know te same guy who owns FOX also owns DirecTV)

Yes and again I will state even all of the broadcasters want Dish to continue carrying the Distants, well except for the 25 FOX owned and operated stations (and we all know te same guy who owns FOX also owns DirecTV)

The bottom line is congress will try to shove this thing off until after the election - when they're no longer beholding to voters. Then they'll beholding to all the "deals" that got them there - of which we are NOT one.

No, the only chance of getting any help from congress right now is for this to really hit the news media today or tomorrow. If there's any negative press that might influence voters, then the various candidates might at least make verbam commitments that they will have to answer to later.

Walt have you called? VT is a very important state for this. Encourage friends and family from VT to call in, even if they dont have Dish Network.

% Dish would not get all 4 Networks for the smaller DMAs with 1 or 2 networks is not true %%%

Actualy Dish could carry all 4 Networks under the Significantly view or from near by DMAs that have Translator stations.

Example: in the North Platte DMA NBC is the only station. But you can get the other networks with a good roof antenna from Translator Station from the near by DMA.

In farm areas Translator stations often repeat the main channel on a different channel.

They could also get the locals under significatly view laws as ALL the cable systems carry the other networks from nearby DMAs.

In other words, dont believe what Charlie is saying, he is not telling the whole storey. He could get all Networks for all DMAs.

They could also get the locals under significatly view laws as ALL the cable systems carry the other networks from nearby DMAs.

In other words, dont believe what Charlie is saying, he is not telling the whole storey. He could get all Networks for all DMAs.

I could care less what "charlie" says - the LAW says NO SV on DBS if you loose your distant carrying ability. I KNOW cable CAN do this - DBS CANNOT if they loose their license to do so, which E* HAS.
It has already been posted here several times this IS a fact, so not sure why YOU say different... :rolleyes: :confused: ;)
SV is TOTALLY & COMPLETELY GONE for E*!

Last edited:
You know, I have to wonder why these states were chosen. Of the nine states, I can recognize EIGHT that have people in high places within the Senate:

Alaska - Ted Stevens, Chairman of the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, and all around friend to DBS
Hawaii - Daniel Inouye, ranking member of the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, and all around friend to DBS
Montana - Conrad Burns, member of the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, also head of subcommittee for Communications, and friend to DBS
Oregon - Gordon Smith, member of the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, also head of subcommittee for Competition
Tennessee - home of Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist
Pennsylvania - Arlen Specter, Chairman of the Judiciary Committee
Vermont - Patrick Leahy, ranking member of the Judiciary Committee
Utah - Orrin Hatch, memeber of the Judiciary Committee

All but Kentucky; all are power people in Senate Committees that directly would impact legislation to help Dish Network.

Awfully nice of Dish Network to pull distant feeds at this time, when they still have a month left. They want the complaints to flow into DC, and will use their subscriber base to do it.

I could care less what "charlie" says - the LAW says NO SV on DBS if you loose your distant carrying ability. I KNOW cable CAN do this - DBS CANNOT if they loose their license to do so, which E* HAS.
It has already been posted here several times this IS a fact, so not sure why YOU say different... :rolleyes: :confused: ;)
SV is TOTALLY & COMPLETELY GONE for E*!
Well, I recently composed an email asking Dish Network to provide me, and area residents, with SV channels. I hope to hear from them shortly:

I am a Dish Network customer and I have a question, actually a request, regarding Significantly Viewed (SV) channels. First, I live 53 miles from Richmond VA, and 55 miles from Washington DC; I live in Spotsylvania County, but I have a Fredericksburg City mailing address. I am technically in the Washington DC DMA and receive their locals via Dish Network. Adelphia (aka Comcast), Cox, and now Verizon FiOS (recently awarded a Cable TV franchise in the County), provide area residents both the Washington DC and Richmond VA locals, whereas Dish Network does not. According to the FCCs SV channel map (which is based on zipcode) there are a number of Richmond locals that I am eligible to receive since they have been designated as "Significantly Viewed" in my area (again, based on zipcode...not DMA).

I noticed the Richmond locals were recently been moved over the 110 satellite location (from the 105 satellite I believe). Technically, I should now be able to receive these significant by simply adding them to my account. According to FCC-05-187, Appendix C, Significantly Viewed List (see attached), and the FCC Information Sheet on Television Broadcast Channels on Satellite, May 2006, "satellite subscribers who receive local-into-local service may, under certain circumstances, receive individual stations from markets outside their DMA that are deemed "significantly viewed" in their community. It is up to the satellite carrier whether or not to offer significantly viewed stations and a subscriber must be subscribing to local-into-local service in his or her DMA to be eligible to receive significantly viewed stations."

Simply stated, the FCC has authorized Dish Network to provide customers (me) with SV. According to FCC-05-187, Dish Network is authorized to provide me with two (2) Richmond area locals (see the below taken from page #471): WTVR-TV (channel 9386), and WRLH-DT (channel 9388).

Spotsylvania & Fredericksburg City

WRC-TV, 4, Washington, DC
WTTG, 5, Washington, DC
WJLA-TV, 7, Washington, DC (formerly WMAL)
WUSA, 9, Washington, DC (formerly WTOP)
WTVR-TV, 6, Richmond, VA
+WRLH-TV, 35, Richmond, VA

I see no technical limitation why these SV channels cannot be added to my account now that they have been placed on the 110 satellite. Please enable them as soon as possible. In fact, I am further requesting that Dish Network enable these channels, WTVR-TV and WRLH-DT, for all customers in Spotsylvania County and Fredericksburg City as per FCC-05-187, page #471. Here are the zipcodes for all affected customers: 22401, 22402, 22403, 22404, 22405, 22406, 22407, 22408, 22412, 22553

Please reply when my request has been completed.

riffjim4069

Offhand, I don't think Dish Network is going to move on my SV request since they would rather play a game of political chicken with DNS.

You know, I have to wonder why these states were chosen. Of the nine states, I can recognize EIGHT that have people in high places within the Senate...
You have to wonder ?? This is an EXCELLENT find and I've no doubt that Dish has people cussin' at you for figuring out their gameplan !

Ergen claims it's completely random. Scott or someone should come up with something that people can submit "yes, I've lost distants" and what state they live in. We'll see how "random" it really is.

Well, I recently composed an email asking Dish Network to provide me, and area residents, with SV channels. I hope to hear from them shortly:

<<EXCELLENT LETTER>>

Offhand, I don't think Dish Network is going to move on my SV request since they would rather play a game of political chicken with DNS.

...keep in mind there are also retransmission agreements that need to be in place. The fact that a renegotiation would need to take place means that neither of the DBS companies would be in a particular hurry to get these up, assuming that they're not up for reneg anyway...

If I remember right, PR was offered to become a state on 2 seperate occasions, and the citizens of PR turned it down each time.

Anyway, regarding the issue, I feel that DISH should also be working their butts off to uplink 100% of the DMAs in the country, and SV is a big deal too.

I would be willing to wait longer for more HD if it meant 100% of the DMAs being uplinked for everyone.

No I am not doubting him at all. But it would be interesting to see where folks are. (and its also a good way to remind them to call if they have not already) ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)