Charlie must be a Yankees fan

8bitbytes

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NoVA
I live in Virginia and the FOXSPORTS.COM website says I should see Red Socks/Yankees on my local and CUBS/Marlins on 137.

WRONG!

Stupid Yankees are on both so I call E* and the word is I have to watch ONLY YANKEES. I say since when? FoxSports says I can watch both. He says that's wrong - it changed. I told him I just called my brother-in-law and he is watching both games on DirecTV. He says, "That's your brother-in-law. You have to watch Yankees." The E* phone guy told me Steinbrenner is directing DishNetwork what to show so even though FOXSPORTS.COM says we are supposed to see one on local and the other on 137 -

WRONG AGAIN!

Yankke Game

I live in Northern Calif and my wife is watching both games. One on the Fox station and the other on FX. Mike :D

Same in the NYC area - No Cubs/Marlins. We got the Yankees on FOX and the Yankees on FX!

So much Yankees! There must be a "blackout" or something. Not Fair! Not Fair at all.

The reason for this is dish carries ONE fx feed for the whole US, so if you local fox was showing the same game that is all you get. Your local cable most likely had the other game. (sometimes cable does have advantage)

I had only the NY game in Mn. I also noted that the picture looked better on FX.

n0qcu said:
The reason for this is dish carries ONE fx feed for the whole US, so if you local fox was showing the same game that is all you get. Your local cable most likely had the other game. (sometimes cable does have advantage)

Kevin,

That is not what FOX Sports said would be available to viewers on FX. That's why I blame Charlie and DishNetwork - they chose to show only the Yankees game even though DirecTV and other services correctly showed what was available according to FOX - Your Market Game on the Local FOX and the OTHER GAME on FX.

Get your act straight Charlie - If you are going to continue pulling this crap, there are very public places on the Internet to air this out.

Oh, and also Kevin,

Shodobe in this thread says he is watching both on Dish in California. So who is lying here?

Gee 8bit... a little harsh..

and shodobe didn't say he was watching Cubs/Marlins on Dishnetwork - he just said he was watching both. Kevin is correct - there is only one FX feed on satellite (same problem occurred with DirecTV)

So maybe you should blame the fact that Dish and Direct won't compress even more so they can carry both FX feeds. Call Charlie and tell him you want more compression.

Chris

Well, I had the PreGame, Game and PostGame on WFLD Chicago via DISH Network. :)

FWIW: DISH has never carried an Alternate feed for FX. I doubt they even have a contract which calls for it. For the limited amount of time it is called for, they could offer it with no additional compression, if one would accept it from 110.

Sorry for the blistering rant over this subject.

I am not trying to call anyone a liar, I just have many conflicting stories.

So let me ask these questions:

Why wouldn't Dish Network WANT to show both games as intended by FOX?

Why would the E* helpdesk tell me that Steinbrenner mandated that ONLY the Yankees be shown in the Yankees market area?

Why would Shodobe post in the other thread related to this subject that he (his wife) was watching both on Dish?

Why does E* waste bandwidth on stupid music channels that nobody listens to and should be optional? I mean we not only have the "Stereo" channels but we also have the "tinny speaker in the middle of the dashboard" mono channels as well. Dish seems to be able to find the bandwidth to show Charlie Chat with very little compression if any, but not for an event that MILLIONS of people have been waiting to see?

Why can't Dish designate different transponders / spotbeams for a specific channel in situations like this one? They seem to be able to control whether I see a specific channel based on my receiver. What's the technical problem?

I have had a chance to regain composure on this subject but I am nonetheless VERY disappointed and am not inclined to recommend Dish to anyone because of the unbelievable stupidity involved in this decision.

I doubt that Charlie will ever hear what a mess this was or even care if he did hear - He is either a Yankee fan or just like one of the censor board members at the FCC, does not even watch TV personally. As unbelievable as that may seem, it is quite possible.

My apologies to Kevin and Shodobe.

BudShark said:
Gee 8bit... a little harsh..

True... sorry.

and shodobe didn't say he was watching Cubs/Marlins on Dishnetwork - he just said he was watching both.

Actually his subject line in the other thread says Dish.

Kevin is correct - there is only one FX feed on satellite (same problem occurred with DirecTV)

I talked to several DirecTV subscribers last night who all told me they were watching both games.

I have been naively loyal to satellite too long and I really thought that the 721 idea finally solved my last doubt about it. I was wrong.... I will have to turn cable BACK ON to supplement bad executive decisions. Unfortunate... I have been forced by stupid choices to have to make one myself.

I hate stupidity, it's what DNA does best.

8bitbytes said:
He is either a Yankee fan.......
And what's wrong with that???? You make it sound like a bad thing. Yankee fans harbor no animosity toward the Cubs. We'd love to face them in the World Series and help them keep their streak alive ;)

Now, we just have to smack those pesky Red Sox around first. :D

Go Bombers!!!!

maybey charlie's forged a super secret deal with george to get the yes network on dishnetwork

Seems to me this thread got a little out of hand because of some assumptions. It appears that Direct TV had a feed for the Cubs game and Dish did not. But not because Dish did not "Want to" or somehow supressed it or had it blacked out. Dish does not carry the extra feed of FX which appears to be how Direct Tv carried it. Since Dish never carries that second FX feed, and since Dish probably did not even know both games would not be carried by some of the usual feeds (many were taken by surprise that they could not watch both games) I don't think Dish did anything wrong. Certainly Direct appears to have provided a service that Dish did not, but this would all be far beyond what a CSR would know about. It was mentioned on ESPN on at least two times that I heard about the complaints when people did find out they would not see both games.

Tampa8 said:
Seems to me this thread got a little out of hand because of some assumptions.

No assumptions - facts, obtained impirically:

1. DirecTV customers are viewing both games when I called them.
2. Dish CSR says HIS SCREEN SAYS, "Dish viewers will only be able to watch the Yankees Game on either channel."
3. CSR says, "Steinbrenner is dictating..."
4. ONLY ONE REASON why Dish doesn't have any channel - Charlie, period.

Last but most important fact:

It is easy to be a Yankees fan. It takes a real sports fan to say, "Go Cubs!" and mean it. (Ok, Go Red Sox will qualify too!)

You can safely ASSUME I was VERY PO'ed and therefore did not express myself in calm, assuring tones.

Now excuse me while I go call Comcast and tell them to turn on the cable and give me a discount on my cable-modem broadband service.

Fox Feeds

I just looked at this for the first time in a few days. I only have Dish where I live, in NorCal no cable. My wife said she was watching one game on the feed on our local Fox channel KXTL, I think. She switched over to the FX channel and picked up the other game. This was not OTA reception. I guess we were lucky to be able to pick up both games. Mike

8bitbytes said:
Last but most important fact:

It is easy to be a Yankees fan. It takes a real sports fan to say, "Go Cubs!" and mean it. (Ok, Go Red Sox will qualify too!)
Ahh, but it wasn't so "easy" from 1965 thru the late 1976 and again from 1982 thru 1995. I know, I've been bleeding pinstripes since I was knee high.
Part of being a true fan as opposed to a bandwagon jumper is sticking with your team thru both good and bad times. The fact that one suffers more, or longer, doesn't make him a "better" or "real" fan, it just means that he enjoys pain more :)

Sorry for your loss tonight, Scott.......NOT!!!! :D

P.S. Watching a stretched FOX broadcast stinks!

Why doesn't E* simulcast the other FX feed on one of the 4 Sports Alternate channels when they run into this problem?

I hate the Yankees with every fiber of my being as I am a Mets fan. PLUS my inner sense of justice feels that I owe the Red Sox for 1986, so I'm rooting for them.

Best Case scenario is a Red Sox-Cubs matchup. Just so I can hear the news story of the ONE guy in Vegas who bet $10 on that matchup and will walk away a Millionaire (I'm making that up, but the odds HAD to have been huge)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)