Charlie speaks..... Finally!!!

Charlie is a frickin' billionaire. He needs to invest in the company that we invest in every month. We want results NOW. D* just added more HD channels that I would watch and these are channels that E* does not have in HD. All of my TVs are HD so HD is mostly what I want to watch. If Dish does not get their a$$ in gear, I may have to jump the fence.

Charlie is a frickin' billionaire. He needs to invest in the company that we invest in every month. We want results NOW. D* just added more HD channels that I would watch and these are channels that E* does not have in HD. All of my TVs are HD so HD is mostly what I want to watch. If Dish does not get their a$$ in gear, I may have to jump the fence.
E* launched E10 last year and has 2 new birds (E11 & AMC14) ready to launch as soon as a launch vehicle is available. Ciel 2, which E* has leased a good part of, is supposed to launch in late 2008. Seems like a significant investment to me. There is not much E* can do UNTIL the new sats are launched and in place. Just like D* couldn't do anything with HD UNTIL D10 was launched and in place. From reports, E* is trying to free up some more TP's for HD with new encoders.

Me Too! I was about to make a new post called B*tch about D* getting MORE HD channels that we don't have. Now I'm really getting anxious. And don't give me crap about stretch-o-vision and how half of you don't want it unless it's HD 100% of the time.

If that's you, then don't bother posting for a few years. Others like ME, want the channels as soon as they are offered, even with 5% of HD content so we can grow with the channels as they grow.

As an example, the stretched version of Wizard of Oz on TBSHD this weekend I thought looked really good. I actually had to flip to the standard channel that I had stretched on my display settings to compare and make sure it was stretched by tbs. So would I prefer to have that instead of just an SD TBS? HELL YES!

But I guess we are stuck until new Sat launches next year. Since I'm a dish sub for over 10 years....I guess I'll just wait...but in the mean time, I will B*tch, Moan, Gripe, and I'll like it!

Yeah, but if they keep me happy with service I will be a long lasting customer and they will make their money. Also.. don't they refurb and reuse the boxes for new customers?

Your statement is just as true for people that take an initial comittment of 18 or 24 months. But it secures some return on their initial investment. Yes they refurb and resue boxes. But that is still a fraction of boxes put out for new subs.

Many people object to any kind of lease commitments and prefer to pay upfront and own it. I think D*'s business decision to not offer a purchase option may be short sighted on their part.

Maybe SOME people object to leasing, but some also embrace it. And they have been doing it for 1 1/2 years now, and it seems not to be having a negative impact - take a look at the numbers they are posting.

I found a good solution for me because Dish does not offer locals in Cincinnati in HD.

I bought a product called HDHomeRun which is a dual ATSC tuner device. Then, I installed a Vista Ultimate machine with a 500GB drive.

I simply connect my Xbox360 and have it connect to the media center running on the Vista PC. With this I have a complete HDTV dual tuner DVR for my local channels.

Did I mention no crap encryption so I can archive the shows I want ?

---------

With that said... Time Warner in our area has begun to offer FREE HD channels to the customer. Also they have all locals in HD.

Its tempting to think about the cable company... while they dont have as many HD channels as Dish or Direct..... they have most of the ones I want in HD (ESPN, ESPN2, Discovery...) and are no longer charging extra fees for the HD version.

Come on... 20 bucks more for a box that cant pick up my locals in HD and has a ton of voom garbage I do not care about. Great deal.....!sadroll.

---------

The thing thats keeping me from changing is the ease of use of the Dish DVR's and the fact that I have been a customer so long. Not to mention I have been treated very fairly by them. There are a lot of customer service nightmares here and am thankful my experience with them has always been pretty good. Being treated right means something in the grand scheme of things.

I found a good solution for me because Dish does not offer locals in Cincinnati in HD.

I bought a product called HDHomeRun which is a dual ATSC tuner device. Then, I installed a Vista Ultimate machine with a 500GB drive.

I simply connect my Xbox360 and have it connect to the media center running on the Vista PC. With this I have a complete HDTV dual tuner DVR for my local channels.

Did I mention no crap encryption so I can archive the shows I want ?

---------

With that said... Time Warner in our area has begun to offer FREE HD channels to the customer. Also they have all locals in HD.

Its tempting to think about the cable company... while they dont have as many HD channels as Dish or Direct..... they have most of the ones I want in HD (ESPN, ESPN2, Discovery...) and are no longer charging extra fees for the HD version.

Come on... 20 bucks more for a box that cant pick up my locals in HD and has a ton of voom garbage I do not care about. Great deal.....!sadroll.

---------

The thing thats keeping me from changing is the ease of use of the Dish DVR's and the fact that I have been a customer so long. Not to mention I have been treated very fairly by them. There are a lot of customer service nightmares here and am thankful my experience with them has always been pretty good. Being treated right means something in the grand scheme of things.

In Milwaukee, Time Warner still has channels lower than 100 in analog. So while they have the HD locals, a lot of the normal cable channels look HORRIBLE. Also their DVR is junk. My dad has returned a number of them because they just lose his recordings or say it is full when it is not. With Dish I have all digital and more HD. I get my HD locals via the OTA, which in the beginning I had a lot of problems, but now that that has been fixed, I have an extra tuner to record off of. Makes it nice when you want to record a lot of things off of local channels. Anyway, I too am waiting for more HD, but I have never looked back since switching again from Time Warner. Ok, well maybe only for the On-Demand stuff. THAT is one nice feature they have. The rest, INHO, is junk. :)

Me Too! I was about to make a new post called B*tch about D* getting MORE HD channels that we don't have. Now I'm really getting anxious. And don't give me crap about stretch-o-vision and how half of you don't want it unless it's HD 100% of the time.

If that's you, then don't bother posting for a few years. Others like ME, want the channels as soon as they are offered, even with 5% of HD content so we can grow with the channels as they grow.

As an example, the stretched version of Wizard of Oz on TBSHD this weekend I thought looked really good. I actually had to flip to the standard channel that I had stretched on my display settings to compare and make sure it was stretched by tbs. So would I prefer to have that instead of just an SD TBS? HELL YES!

But I guess we are stuck until new Sat launches next year. Since I'm a dish sub for over 10 years....I guess I'll just wait...but in the mean time, I will B*tch, Moan, Gripe, and I'll like it!

You had me up until the Wizard of Oz example... I agree, I want the channels as they are available, even if they only have 5% HD... but I do not want content that is in a theater aspect ratio converted to pan and scan 4:3 and then stretched to 16X9. These movies should certainly maintain their aspect ratio. If TBS wants to stretch Seinfeld, fine, but Wizard of Oz needs to maintain its aspect ratio and should be broadcast in HD. There is no excuse for a movie being ripped apart in such fashion. No way!

You had me up until the Wizard of Oz example... I agree, I want the channels as they are available, even if they only have 5% HD... but I do not want content that is in a theater aspect ratio converted to pan and scan 4:3 and then stretched to 16X9. These movies should certainly maintain their aspect ratio. If TBS wants to stretch Seinfeld, fine, but Wizard of Oz needs to maintain its aspect ratio and should be broadcast in HD. There is no excuse for a movie being ripped apart in such fashion. No way!

This is Turner we're talking about. Remember how they used to colorize all those classic movies? They don't respect the original material. They seem to think they can do whatever they want with it.

Man folks need to chill people are making a mountain out of a mole hill due to Direct adding more HD which they had to since they been behind Dish for so long. Direct just has a handful of National HD Channels that Dish does not and most of those HD Channels if not show very little HD content. Besides that Dish has the rest and had most of them longer and I think Dish will add the ones they dont have that Direct has. So overall Direct and Dish in the long run will offer about that same amount of HD Channels just like they do SD.

What it will come down to will be price and which one has better hardware like their HDDVR's which I think Dish HDDVR's are better just my 2 cents. In time we will be back to one format all HD no more SD and who has more HD channels wont matter any more. Due to there will only be some many HD channels available so what matters is that we are getting more HD in that more Networks are heading that way. Which is good for everyone. :)

Your statement is just as true for people that take an initial comittment of 18 or 24 months. But it secures some return on their initial investment. Yes they refurb and resue boxes. But that is still a fraction of boxes put out for new subs.

I still hold the opinion that a commitment contract shows insecurity on behalf of the company. They are so unsure of their offerings that they need to rope in customers and trap them. They bait a customer and then the customer finds out DirecTV has a better offering and they spend the next 18 months feeling like sh*t because they are stuck with Dish and they don't want Dish. If the customer is happy, they will stick around without the contract.

I am sorry but I come to the table with integrity and pride in what I do in my business. I am so sure of my ability to satisfy my customers, that I don't need to sign contracts with my customers. They think I do a good job and keep coming back to me. Dish laying out all that money for equipment and installs is part of doing business. I put out money for advertising, which is very similar to dish and their equipment costs upfront. I make people happy, they stick around. Dish makes people happy, they stick around.

Things aren't going so well right now and they (Dish) are really pushing the contracts because of it. I think their churn is higher than they let on for sure. They are trying to stop the bleeding by signing people up with contracts.

Here's an idea Dish- You could try improving your service in an attempt to retain customers. Instead you are pushing contracts to retain customers. Have you given up on the HD race?

This is Turner we're talking about. Remember how they used to colorize all those classic movies? They don't respect the original material. They seem to think they can do whatever they want with it.

Yes, I remember that. I am only in my early 30's but I remember back in the 80's when people were up in arms all over the nation about them colorizing films. There was one film in particular that really pissed people off. Casablanca was it? I don't remember now specifically but I remember my grandparents bitching about it. I remember seeing it on the news and in print. You are right, Turner has no respect for the original material.

Direct just has a handful of National HD Channels that Dish does not and most of those HD Channels if not show very little HD content.

Guess now we need do define what a handful amounts to. National HD channels, that carry HD programming and aren't PPV's or RSN that D* has and E* doesn't are: Sci-Fi, USA, FX, MGM, Smithsonian, HBO-W, Starz-W, Starz Comedy, Starz Edge, The Movie Channel, Showtime Too and Showtime-W, that's 12. If you throw in CBNC+ and FBN, which use the 16x9 realestate for additional stock info and not an upconvert then that's 14. As for the little HD content, which is worst having a channel that just repeats programming over and over or one that has only a few hours but shows new programming, I'll take the few hours of new programming anyday.

Direct just has a handful of National HD Channels that Dish does not

That is a pretty big hand I guess. You make it sound so insignificant and meaningless. You minimize it.

In reality, DirecTV is blowing Dish away. Let's all face the facts. It is very discouraging to hear Dish come out and stress only the HD locals. If they said they'd match the national channels of DirecTV AND add all those HD locals, I'd be happy as a pig in sh*t, but they didn't. They stressed the HD locals and that was it.

Some of you act as if they will add a bunch of HD nationals along with the locals, as if it goes without saying. No! It needs to be said. They need to talk about their plans. If they are doing both, say so! Stop the speculation and tell us what's coming.

Man folks need to chill people are making a mountain out of a mole hill due to Direct adding more HD which they had to since they been behind Dish for so long. Direct just has a handful of National HD Channels that Dish does not and most of those HD Channels if not show very little HD content. Besides that Dish has the rest and had most of them longer and I think Dish will add the ones they dont have that Direct has. So overall Direct and Dish in the long run will offer about that same amount of HD Channels just like they do SD.

What it will come down to will be price and which one has better hardware like their HDDVR's which I think Dish HDDVR's are better just my 2 cents. In time we will be back to one format all HD no more SD and who has more HD channels wont matter any more. Due to there will only be some many HD channels available so what matters is that we are getting more HD in that more Networks are heading that way. Which is good for everyone. :)

Forget for a bit what you or I think. Look at the net new sub numbers - an area that DISH led the past few years. They lost big time last quarter, and have already begun to downplay this quarter. There are all the makings of a huge win again for DirecTV. No, that doesn't mean the END of Dish, but it could mean a fairly long downward spiral to catch back up.

Take your blinders off for just a few minutes and look at this objectively.

Remember that last May during the team summit Charlie promised two new sats launched by this December( not that has been now delayed due to launch site problems) . He promised a relaunch of DISH in full mpeg 4 for all sd channels and upto 200 national hd channels , locals in both sd and upto 100 hd locals markets and all internationals all on ONE 18" sat dish. Now he has said that they will launch 3 new sats next year and add hd locals. So it looks like DISH will do all hd locals as well next year as DIrectv is supposed to do. IF only the sat launch site hadn't suffered so many explosions/delays we would already have two new sats going up next month.

***REMEMBER this though ATT will make a decision on which company it will stay with and most likely BUY, by the end of next month. THis will affect all the above plans by both sat companies. Next year will be a year of change no matter which provider you are with. I personaly am hoping that DISH stays independent and the hell away from ATT grasps. I just can't see a big corporation wanting to work with subs on picture quality issues or even use Echostar type receivers. I think it would be a disasterous step backwards for DISH subs. If it happens I will have to consider breaking the bank and going to Directv fully for all sat needs.

If Dish cannot offer HD they will have to offer something else. Perhaps lower prices to compete. You have to compete one way or another by offering what nobody else has or the best price. There will be people out there that would rather save money than have HD while others could care less about HD. That is how Dish might have to get new customers along with existing customers to stay or offer them more channels for the same amount of money. Otherwise Dish will start losing even more subscribers to DirecTv and wont get them back anytime soon as they will be under a longterm contract with them.

With all the BS in the past couple of years regarding the 'promises' that DIRECTV had made - and all the ragging by ECHOSTAR people - the truth is more things promised by good old Chuckie have never happened!

Where should I start?

DISH 500? Superdish? The list is ENDLESS!

And you know what - it's time for his RealityCheck!

DirecTV is getting so many new subs mainly due to their $300 off a new TV promotion, as well as the absolute marketing blitz they have been on. Also 3rd quarter was the start of the NFL season, and you could get Sunday Ticket basically for free as a new sub. That by itself would pull me over to DTV, except that the season is almost over now so it doesn't seem worth much anymore. I see DTV stuff plastered all over at Best Buy, in moving packets from the USPS, in every coupon junk mail I get, and on TV ads. Avg cost to get a new sub less for Dish? No kidding! Still Dish can offer a free HD-DVR. I think the 14 extra channels DTV has don't really sway me much, aside from Speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)