Charter and DVI cable

texxas guy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
I have Charter in Fort Worth, TX. When the installer came out and put in the Scientific Atlanta 8000 HD DVR, he said it could be hooked up to the DVI output to my Pioneer Elite Pro 630 HDTV. I didn't have a DVI cable at the time, just the component cables, so I went out and bought one. Well, long story short it does not work. A call to Charter says the DVI outputs are not active at this time????
WTF is with that? Is this true? Anybody got any info on this box? My TV is HDCP compatible by the way.

Thanks!

We have the Motorola DVR thru Charter here in St Louis, and originally the DVR ports were not active. But I am being told that they might be active now, along with the RF jacks. I am going to hook them up this week sometime and test it to be sure.

texxas guy said:
I have Charter in Fort Worth, TX. When the installer came out and put in the Scientific Atlanta 8000 HD DVR, he said it could be hooked up to the DVI output to my Pioneer Elite Pro 630 HDTV. I didn't have a DVI cable at the time, just the component cables, so I went out and bought one. Well, long story short it does not work. A call to Charter says the DVI outputs are not active at this time????
WTF is with that? Is this true? Anybody got any info on this box? My TV is HDCP compatible by the way.

Thanks!

My SA8000 dvi connection works fine with my Toshiba HDTV. :)

Charter DVR's DVI connection

I just got hooked up with Charter's DVR (Moto BMC9012) here in St. Louis last Saturday and have had the same problem with the DVI connection. I e-mailed Charter tech support about it, and they first said I should have no problem using the DVI connection unless my cable was damaged. I decided to call tech "support" for a second opinion, and the guy told me the DVI is not active yet--but he didn't have an ETA. I e-mailed the original guy back asking why I was getting 2 different answers, and I received an apology response that the DVI port is NOT currently active, but should be active within 30-90 days.

Luckily, I also have component cables hooked up.

Anyone know if the USB 2.0 ports are active? I would like to upgrade my recording time with more HDD space.

texxas guy said:

Thanks!
Take it back down to the charter place across from Hulen Mall and get the 8300 HDDVR....it has HDMI out, you will need an adapter cable if your tv doesnt have HDMI....but it works just fine

I think it has to do with the particular receiver you were given. The 8300 that Cowboy mentions is the one that I think DOES work with DVI.