Charter cable and 322 receiver

stilllearning

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
Michigan
We have a feed from Charter plugged into the back of the 322 receiver. We are getting a lot of noise on the screen when watching Dish programming. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong?

Why do you have a Charter feed going your DishNetwork box? The 322 is for satellite only.

Not true. Ever hear of OTA? I would assume if you can receive channels from Charter on your TV without a Charter box (I.E. not scrambled) it should work thru the antenna input on the 322. (Though I have never tried that)

Not true. Ever hear of OTA? I would assume if you can receive channels from Charter on your TV without a Charter box (I.E. not scrambled) it should work thru the antenna input on the 322. (Though I have never tried that)

OTA and a feed from Charter are two totally different things. The 322 does not have a QAM tuner and will not pick up any channels coming over your Charter cable.

Now I think if the box is off it passes all signals through it and out to the TV and you can use the TV tuner to view channels. Is that where you are having problems and is that what you are trying to do?

Last edited:
But it will feed the cable through the receiver when the receiver is switched to tv mode..

And the interference could be caused by a multitude of things. Have you tried switching your Dish feed from channel 3 to 4 or vise versa. Or Use the AV outputs to feed your TV?

The perfect setup though would be to run the cable to the cable input of the TV and run the Dish to AV inputs.. Should get no interference that way. Then All you have to do is change channels without touching the Satellite part

Thanks for your reply Mark. I'm a little ignorant on these things so could you explain in a little more detail how I would run Dish to the AV inputs? I will try moving the Dish feed to channel 4 (it is currently on 3).

This really depends on your TV.. All newer TV's have AV Inputs(mostly). These are the red,white and yellow connections on the back of your TV.. Your Dish Reciever has these on the back of it too.. All you have to do is have a cable to connect to the output of these on the back of your Dish box and connect the other end to the corresponding color inputs on your TV.. Note the input you connect to.. It should say Video 1 (2,3,etc) or AV 1 (2,3 etc). Then just use the input button on your remote (TV remote maybe if your Dish Remote won't change the input) to switch to the correct input to see your Dish Programming. Then connect the cable from your cable system to the Standard cable input on your TV and you can watch cable TV on channels 2 through whatever and watch your Dish Programming on the Video Input.. That way you get no interference between the two. I won't try to go into the S-Video Connection but a lot of newer tv's have this option too and The Dish Receiver supports S-Video also.. Much better picture, but requires an additional cable..

Note if you have an older TV that doesn't have these Red,White and Yellow connections on it you are out of luck doing this..

Mark,

I connected the AV cable from the 322 to the TV. It works great!! I now get a very clear picture. I decided not to plug the cable feed directly into the TV because I would not be able to record stuff from DISH on my VCR if I did that. But anyway, thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Glad you got it working.. Plugging the cable into the TV wouldn't have stopped you recording to the VCR from DISH.. It would stop you from recording to your VCR From Cable.. You could still have run the coax from the Dish Box to the VCR and recorded from Dish. You just would have to run a red,white and yellow cable to your TV from the VCR. And that would require you having another empty Video connection on your TV.. May be more complicated for you than what it's worth.. There are many ways to achieve this. But as long as you are happy with what you have, that is the most important thing.

Anyway I am glad I could be of some small assistance to you and you now have a clear picture to watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)