Charter finally rolled out 300 Mbps in the Reno / Sparks area

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
According to a user at DSL Reports they are now offering up to 300 Mbps speeds in the Reno Sparks area.
They are now changing current customers from 60 Mbps to 100Mbps.
I noticed that they added an extra upstream, use to be 3, now there are 4.
The only sad part is that their upload speeds even at 300 Mbps are 5Mbps lol...

My internet is getting upgraded tomorrow from 60/5 to 100/5.

Reactions: Jhon69
My dad lives in Gardnerville. They are slower than dark molasses. I don't even think he gets 60.

S~

My dad lives in Gardnerville. They are slower than dark molasses. I don't even think he gets 60.

S~

You have to swap out his old modem for their modem. THEN he'll get the higher speeds. My owned modem was only capable of 30Mbps max. Once I found out they upped us to 60/5, they sent me a "free self-install kit" which included a new modem (no rental cost). Now my speeds are the full 60/5, and usually higher.

S~

Make sure he has a newer modem, if its one of their old old modems it may not be good enough.
Also be sure he resets both the router and modem.
If he is not getting the speeds he is paying for then he should call charter.

According to a user at DSL Reports they are now offering up to 300 Mbps speeds in the Reno Sparks area.
They are now changing current customers from 60 Mbps to 100Mbps.
I noticed that they added an extra upstream, use to be 3, now there are 4.
The only sad part is that their upload speeds even at 300 Mbps are 5Mbps lol...

My internet is getting upgraded tomorrow from 60/5 to 100/5.

This is what I was told by a Charter Spectrum technician about a month or so ago, so it's great to know the technicians know what their talking about.
Appreciate the post Thanks!
I will look forward to the "Courtesy Bump" from 60 Mbps to 100 Mbps.:biggrin

This is what I was told by a Charter Spectrum technician about a month or so ago, so it's great to know the technicians know what their talking about.
Appreciate the post Thanks!
I will look forward to the "Courtesy Bump" from 60 Mbps to 100 Mbps.:biggrin

I'm at 100 Mbps now, should contact them and see whats the delay.

Reactions: Jhon69

It will take some time for sure,the cable company here was Charter and they were barely providing anything,now with the merger they are having to redo everything.
I'm sure they will do it when everything is ready,just like we will get the World Box when they are ready for it too.
I guess it must be my age when I was younger I would not have patience,now I would rather they get it right before we get it.

And we are not in a big city that maybe the reason too.

That's awesome that you guys got upgraded!

Just speculating here but I think Charter is eventually going to have 100/10 as Standard and 300/20 as Ultra across their entire footprint. After many push backs, my area was set to up upgraded to Maxx from TWC about 6 months after the merger became official and Charter halted all of the Maxx upgrades. So close, but yet so far away. No speed upgrades in my area are in the works at this point, so 100 Mb is as best as I can get for now.

That's awesome that you guys got upgraded!

Just speculating here but I think Charter is eventually going to have 100/10 as Standard and 300/20 as Ultra across their entire footprint. After many push backs, my area was set to up upgraded to Maxx from TWC about 6 months after the merger became official and Charter halted all of the Maxx upgrades. So close, but yet so far away. No speed upgrades in my area are in the works at this point, so 100 Mb is as best as I can get for now.

I have not been upgraded yet Earl even though the new 2017 Charter Spectrum price lists are available online now and there I see I could ask for 100Mbps in my area.
I have alot of kids on my internet including my oldest son and he tells me that the 60Mbps/5Mbps service is working good for his gaming so no request yet to go to 100Mbps.

Thought I would call for the hell of it,the CSR said he never heard of a "courtesy bump" for our area but he could charge me $199.99 for the faster speed.
I told him no thank you 60Mbps/5Mbps is good enough for me at our "special price".He also said we could get the 300Mbps but I did not want to know about that.
This is what I thought we don't live in a big city so we may not get it at all.
But the new services that we can get now make Charter Spectrum alot better cable service than we had before.

Last edited:
Thought I would call for the hell of it,the CSR said he never heard of a "courtesy bump" for our area but he could charge me $199.99 for the faster speed.
I told him no thank you 60Mbps/5Mbps is good enough for me at our "special price".He also said we could get the 300Mbps but I did not want to know about that.
This is what I thought we don't live in a big city so we may not get it at all.
But the new services that we can get now make Charter Spectrum alot better cable service than we had before.

When they make the 100Mbps standard in your area you should be able to get it for free. Its strange that they are charging in your town.

IN Ionia, MI...they are charging for us to "upgrade" to 100mb for business, telling us that the 60mb speed price to the 100 mb is a huge difference. Sad thing is, I don't need DOWNload speed, I need extra UPload speed for our stream, and any remote video from the tabloTV device. A larger outgoing pipe would be nice. We're not doing bad, a static IP and 60 down/5 up is $75/mo for business, no usage cap. We're staying on the 60 for now.

IN Ionia, MI...they are charging for us to "upgrade" to 100mb for business, telling us that the 60mb speed price to the 100 mb is a huge difference. Sad thing is, I don't need DOWNload speed, I need extra UPload speed for our stream, and any remote video from the tabloTV device. A larger outgoing pipe would be nice. We're not doing bad, a static IP and 60 down/5 up is $75/mo for business, no usage cap. We're staying on the 60 for now.

Here in Nevada they offer 200 Mbps speeds down, but upload speeds suck for business accounts unless you are willing to pay their corporate pricing...which most small businesses cannot afford.
Just praying the day AT&T upgrades speeds on my side of the street, only 25Mbps, I get 100Mbps with charter. If AT&T offers at least 75Mbps I am switching in an instant because A, I would get discount by bundling with AT&T, B I would probably end up getting higher upload speeds.