Charter Install Tech #5????

rocket69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
On Your Roof!
OMFG... Now i can see for my self why dish and direct get so many customers...

Tech #1 shows up and knows it needs RG11 due to my 400' to the tap. He was nice and let me know it will be problems if he runs the rg6. He gets me set up for tech #2 to be inhouse and with rg11.

Tech #2 (Sub Contractor) Shows up first thing in the morning first thing i ask is if he has the rg11 and his reply was what is that??? OMFG so he cant do it due to not having it also so he sets up tech #3 for install same day prior to 4pm

Tech #3 8pm no tech no call charter sets up a new tech and insures me it will be in house and he will have rg11 and will be at my house at 8am-10am monday.

Tech #4 leave the wife at home to go take the kids to school and see a sub contractor 4 houses down from mine.. Thinking sucks to be them hope that guy can get them set up... 10am call to see what is taking the tech so long and find out that i told the tech to set up for saturday .. So i gess the fool i saw at the other house was my fool i never talked to him and now charter insist i did an set up the fallowing week..

Tech #5 Coming teusday morning lets see what he has to do ..

Tech #5 was a sub with no RG11 tech #6 set up for wed

Tech #6 Was a charter tech and had no rg11 clamed they don't use it and don't need it as its only internet so i caved and let him install. After his 4 Hr install he hooked up the modem and bam low signal service cutting in and out so he puts on an amp and now zero service. 9hr into his install he calls a supervisor and the super sets up install for Tech #7

Tech # 7 charter tech with rg11 only spends about 2 hrs running the drop to the ground block and all its well with only 10db loss on the whole run from tap to modem.

Im now happy and can tell my dsl to take a hike. 60mbs service and i max out at about 40 when DL large files is just fine for me..

I cant see how this cable co can make money after sending out 6 techs then the time wasted with tech #6 and now the final tech that culd get the job done..

Tech #5 was a sub with no RG11 tech #6 set up for wed

Tech #6 Was a charter tech and had no rg11 clamed they don't use it and don't need it as its only internet so i caved and let him install. After his 4 Hr install he hooked up the modem and bam low signal service cutting in and out so he puts on an amp and now zero service. 9hr into his install he calls a supervisor and the super sets up install for Tech #7

Tech # 7 charter tech with rg11 only spends about 2 hrs running the drop to the ground block and all its well with only 10db loss on the whole run from tap to modem.

Im now happy and can tell my dsl to take a hike. 60mbs service and i max out at about 40 when DL large files is just fine for me..

I cant see how this cable co can make money after sending out 6 techs then the time wasted with tech #6 and now the final tech that culd get the job done..

Charter just don't get it. See my thread where my internet service was disconnected by a Charter contractor while he was putting in service next door.

Im surprised you have service since RG11 is only supposed to be run no longer then 250ft. 400ft should of been coded as unservceable until a tap can be cut in closer

ALL TOO COMMON!

I'll show you my experience as soon as BroadBandReports.Com comes back up.

Edit: Found my review in Google's Cache.

Review by TheTechGuru
member for 7.8 years, 111 visits, last login: 18 days ago
updated 337 days ago

• world.png
    TEXAS
  • money.png
    $36 per month
  • (24 month contract)
  • calendar.png
    about 18 days
  • weather_sun.png
    "Nothing Really"
  • weather_rain.png
    "18 Days & 2 No Shows & 1 Show But No Install Before Finally Installing On The 4th Appointment"
  • user_comment.png
    "Company Needs To Do Away With 3rd Party Contractors & Fix Primetime Internet Congestion"
Pre Sales information:
50_sm.gif

Install Co-ordination:
0_sm.gif

Connection Reliability:
50_sm.gif

Tech Support:
50_sm.gif

Services:
50_sm.gif

Value for money:
75_sm.gif

(ratings match consensus)

This is the most horrible and stressful internet install I have ever experienced in my life.

I ordered service via the Charter website on Friday Jan 28th 2011 from my old house and soon after got 3 confirmation email’s one confirming my install date of Wednesday Jan 2nd 2010. I was at my new home all day unpacking and no one ever showed up. I called and they rescheduled for Saturday February 12th 2011 between 5 & 7 pm saying this was the earliest date available not having any consideration to make it any sooner considering that THEY were the ones that did not show up. I was home all day working outside and no one ever showed up, I called at 7:05 PM to find out what was going on and they told me that a tech was at my door at a brown house with a brown door at 5pm. I told them my house is not brown, and it does not have a brown door (nor are any of my close neighbors houses) and described to them my house. They then proceeded to reschedule AGAIN for Monday February 14th 2011 between 8 & 10am. That morning I looked outside at random times between 8 and 10 and around 9am I saw a unmarked run down looking old pickup truck with ladders on top parked by the utility pole between my house and my neighbors house. I went outside to ask who the person was and found him out there messing with my neighbor's cable line and he said he is with the cable company and my service is next on his list. When he came over he came inside to survey where I wanted the service installed then back outside he told me he would need to install a box on the wall outside and asked if I am renting or own the place. I told him that I would prefer that he not install a box and use only a ground block and that I am owner financing. He said company policy requires that a box be installed and that he cannot install the service without permission from the owner. I told him that I am the owner and owner financing vs. bank financing makes no difference for matters like this and he still refused to install my service. At this point I was furious and cussed the guy out for never showing up the previous 2 appointments and he left. I then called my lender on the house and they said they would have someone hand deliver the needed letter within an hour. I then called Charter Management and told them what happened and that I needed my service installed TODAY and by a Charter employee not a 3rd party contractor. They told me they would have someone out between 2 & 4pm. A Charter employee in a Charter labeled van shows up about 3pm and finally gets everything installed. He only installed a ground block and not a box and I didn’t even need to tell/ask him to do so. I offered him the letter from the lender and he said he did not need it because it does not have to drill anything, he used all existing holes.

I am subscribing to the 12/1 service and it peaks anywhere from 15-25mbps in the middle of the night and it as slow as 4-6mbps during primetime in the evening.

Charter Management has waived my install fee and given me two months of free service for all of this trouble. Do note my first 3 months of service are only $19.95/mo with the current special.

On a side note, in my opinion I believe the 3rd party contractor involved is defrauding Charter. First because of his not showing up 2 times and reporting that he did show up but at a house that does not match my house’s description I think he is claiming pay from charter for the trips that he may or may not have really even made. 2nd I have seen him at my neighbor’s house 4 times since moving here and I believe he may only be half fixing problems in order to get paid more for more trips.

It took charter 3 trials to do my house. When they came I was not there and they only done 1/2 the house. I called them and they replied that they do only 3 rooms, but the contract said the full house.

Then a few month later the main cable from pole to box got hit by lightning and burned up. They just laid a temporary cable on top of the ground across my driveway with the note that tomorrow they will bury it. After 3 month and many calls they never showed up. The last call I made was simple message...""The cable you hooked up temporary 3 month ago is still laying on top of the ground and I tripped over many times, I will give you 1 week to fix this or I will file a lawsuit""......Next day when I got home they had the cable buried.
Charter is a lying company, that will give you a special and after signing your contract the special will cost you twice as much.
I hope you did not get the special for $69 that will cost you $145 a month.

Never have business with charter, unless you have to.

And yes I went to dishnetwork for my TV needs and since my contract was up with them now I canceled them also and now I get FTA and OTA for my TV needs for free. Plenty of channels, at least I do not have to pay to watch commercials.

Man,......you almost got me mad again about charter deal. Not your fault.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts