Charter spectrum on roku

timbuckone

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Bravo charter!!!!!! Very pleased you can now watch charter spectrum on and roku device. Good bye cable box fees!!

I have Charter Spectrum but this is the first time I have heard of this. I have to assume there are quite a few limitations on this. Do you get live TV for your full channel lineup on a Roku?

It seems like it would be too easy for people to give a family member their Charter account info so they don't have to get their own cable subscription. You can already do that for HBO Go, WatchESPN, and lots of other apps but this would be a whole new level.

Looks like it identifies your home network and I am assuming it won't work outside of it.

Looks like it identifies your home network and I am assuming it won't work outside of it.

That's still cool for people who want to eliminate a monthly set top box fee. Since I use a Tivo Roamio and Tivo Mini I don't have a monthly set top fee though. I would buy a Roku today if I could put it in my summer cabin and get Tigers games live on Fox Sports Detroit.

I understand why they did this but if it can't be used outside of the house it's pretty much useless for me.

This was most likely introduced to compete with Sling TV and apparently HBO Now. Charter is rolling out a package for $19.99 with a limited number of channels and a free Roku 3. Here are the differences, quoted from a post from DSLReports:
Got a letter in the mail from Charter today wanting me to sign up for their "Spectrum TV Stream" package. Local channels + HBO or Showtime for $12.99/mo. For $19.99/mo you get some cable channels. They're also throwing in a Free Roku 3 box. No contracts.

For the same price as SlingTV you're getting local channels + HBO/Showtime + A&E, ABC Family, AMC, Discovery, ESPN, Food Network, FX, History Channel, H2, Hallmark, HGTV, Lifetime, LMN, Nat Geo, TBS, TLC.

But you're NOT getting the following channels (as compared to SlingTV):
ESPN2, TNT, El Rey, IFC, Disney, Travel, Cartoon network, CNN, Bloomberg TV, Galavision, Polaris, Maker.

Sidenote: SlingTV doesn't offer FX, Hallmark, Discovery, Net Geo, or TLC.

Says to sign up call 844-230-0085 or visit www.spectrum.com/stream (which, in typical Charter fashion, takes you to a site making no mention of the service or the offer).

Free Roku 3 offer ends 11/20

I'll keep my Tivo system too, but if I can get it working outside the house (VPN possibly?), it will come in handy when I travel.

Are you saying that the Roku won't work outside of your home network ?
How would it know what your home network is ?

I set up my Roku on my network and watch it fine, took it to my Sisters over the weekend and hooked up to her Internet and got all my same channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)