Charter VOIP How is it.

it wouldn't hurt to try it. I can't do it on WildBlue. some people seem to like VoIP pretty well. I have a customer that has a business in a Charter area and they use there services for internet and phone (VoIP) and loves it. they don't use Bell South at all there.

Well I have looked into other VIOP providers but no local numbers for people to call me. Also from what I have read about Charters serverice is they actually provide another connection with battery backup so that it is not using my net connection but its own. I could be wrong but that is how I have been reading it.

Well when its available I will give info on how it is for me. I will definataly try it when I can. Last time I talked to the local Manager he told me around the end of August is the planned launch for my area..... So i expect around January eheh.

Here in Ct they dont use Voip. They have there own system. Don't really understand it but when the internet was down phone still worked.

pmalve said:
Here in Ct they dont use Voip. They have there own system. Don't really understand it but when the internet was down phone still worked.

two different technologies at that point. the phone service there is not using internet protocol for phone, it's a contain system like a twist pair telco service except using coax.

motorcycle_rider said:
pmvalve

That may be the case when they go active here. Do you have it? If so how reliable is it and how does it sound?
I don't have it cause i just changed to dsl and i don't make enough toll calls to make it worthwhile for me. My phone bill with caller id before i added dsl was around 30.00. Charter wants 39.99 plus taxes. Changed to dsl because charter went to 41.99 for 3mbs internet and i got dsl for 12.95 for a year with 3 months free. I do know someone who has it and you cant tell the difference. I had vonage for a while and I didn't like it. It was like you were on a walkie talkie.

I have it in the St. Louis area. It is not VOIP, but it is an IP based voice system that runs on a proprietary network. Charter's website has a FAQ which answers all of your questions about how it works. Check there for details.

What I can offer is an assessment. It is fine. Good enough to say your decision should be based solely on price/feature comparison. We have it ONLY because of the package deals and the bundling with the Internet. If you use multiple Charter services and you call and ask for the best deal - it generally comes out much cheaper.

FYI - we got it within 2 weeks of it coming out in our area. Took about 2 months to get the 'kinks' worked out, largely because demand was higher than expected. During that time we had instances of people calling and going straight to voicemail or getting 'all circuits are busy' - in all cases Charter was already working on it when we called them and it was resolved shortly. They also invested into expanding capacity quickly. After the 2 months we haven't had an issue. Been about 8-9 months total that we have had it.

Chris

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts