Cheap Over-the-Air Standard Definition DVR?

travisk

Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
I am trying to find the cheapest way to build/buy a standard def over-the-air DVR. I've searched around and these are my options, but there has to be something better -

1. Build a MythTV DVR from an older PC. Downsides: Decoder card costs $150, most cheap PCs are too loud for the living room and I would still have to pay for programming guide service.

2. Buy an old Tivo. Downsides: $150/yr in subscription fees, and some models don't support over-the-air.

There has to be something better... I just want a cheap DVR solution without monthly fees or expensive hardware.

Any suggestions?

But does that DVD Recorder w/ hard drive have an easy-to-use programming guide? Or does it just do time-based recording?

Your problem is that the old TiVo's are all analog tuners as are the ReplayTV and other old SD DVR's.

I use a TiVo Stand-alone SD unit with a digital tuner on the composite or S-video input. These Tivo's with lifetime subscription are still about $300 and the new Digital tuners will be about $40-75.

It will save you the monthly sub to Tivo.

I found a Panasonic Showstopper (similar to SD TiVo) dead at a garage sale and put a replacement HDD in it and for less than $50 i have an SD DVR with lifetime subscription. It has composite inputs too, so I use it with my Dish Network 301.

Look at a Windows Media Center PC. You don't have to pay for the programming guide service. An upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate may work.

Vista Home Media Edition works fine and has an easy to use programming guide. Instead of an internal capture card, consider a cheap USB HD tuner.

I also have the Magnavox. Yes, it is time based recording only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)