Cheapest Dish Programming Package w/ HD Locals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cpalmer2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
United States
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Pathway X2 for my parents who recently bought a camper. They just need a few basic channels (and locals) when they travel. My question is this... what is the cheapest package they can sign up for (assuming they buy the Pathway X2 and the receiver outright, not part of a promo) and still get local channels in HD?

The "Pay as you go" page on Dish Network lists the cheapest option as $50, but the regular Dish website lists the Welcome & Smart Packs at much lower prices. Would either the Welcome or Smart Pack have HD locals?

Both Welcome and Smart have whatever locals are available in HD in your area. Welcome Pack is cheapest.

All core packages include the locals in HD. Core packages are any that you must choose from to have an account. You must have an HD receiver and be able to get the satellite that has the locals in HD wherever they are.

But, you have to be within the spotbeam for those locals to receive them... They may have to call in when they move out of one area and into another to get new ones...

But, you have to be within the spotbeam for those locals to receive them... They may have to call in when they move out of one area and into another to get new ones...
Or, they could use an EA 1000.4 to receive one of the local markets that are CONUS on the 77 satellite. They would need to use a Service Address that is in one of those markets. Then, there would be no need to keep changing the Service Address unless they do not have line-of-sight to the 77 satellite.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the Welcome Pack is perfect for their situation. I've already looked at the maps & picked out a market for them based on the general area they travel to, so hopefully they won't have to change it as they move around.

Reactions: Tampa8
I know Dish Pause allows access to free previews, but not the locals, right?

The service address can be changed as necessary.

IMPORTANT: If OTA is desired, the ViP211z that many RV shops offer is NOT an option.

That certainly defeats any motivations behind using the ViP211z (acreage, cost).
It doesn't defeat anything. You buy it, it's cheaper. If you want OTA, you buy the dongle. If you don't, you're all set. You stated, that with the 211Z, OTA is not an option. It certainly is!

Reactions: Troch77
It doesn't defeat anything. You buy it, it's cheaper. If you want OTA, you buy the dongle. If you don't, you're all set. You stated, that with the 211Z, OTA is not an option. It certainly is!
If you're going in knowing that you want the OTA capability and choosing a $81 ViP211z plus a clumsy $30 dongle versus a $99 ViP211K, there's your sign.

If you're going in knowing that you want the OTA capability and choosing a $81 ViP211z plus a clumsy $30 dongle versus a $99 ViP211K, there's your sign.
Going back to your original statement: "IMPORTANT: If OTA is desired, the ViP211z that many RV shops offer is NOT an option." That's just plain BS, own up!!!

Going back to your original statement: "IMPORTANT: If OTA is desired, the ViP211z that many RV shops offer is NOT an option." That's just plain BS, own up!!!
While not technically true, pursuing the ViP211z in the context that I presented would be certifiably insane if you can get a ViP211k instead.

Getting back on topic, it appears Dish's treatment of RV'ers (or accounts in general) is getting dangerously close to the behaviors that got them in trouble with the courts for offering Distant Network signals in the first place. Based on what I read here, and on the RV forums, you just call Dish anytime you want and change your service address (and locals). At my location so many spot beams overlap that I'm within the "Green" ring on the maps for 12 markets. I have two more markets that are close enough that they likely would come in. I essentially could buy a dish & a receiver, pay them $20 a month for the welcome package, and have any of those 14 DMA's locals that I want.

If you are in the green zones of multiple DMA's, I am not sure the FCC would have an issue there. Also, Dish has to believe the customer, it is the customers responsibility to be honest. If they knowingly are lying, then they can be held responsible, the same way Home Depot would t get in trouble for selling a spray paint can to a customer who says they're going to paint, and instead use it to huff. Dish is not defrauding the locals, the customers are.

There is one scenario where the ViP211z plus the OTA dongle would be cheaper than the ViP211k, if you are willing to wait until Dish has a dispute with one of your local channels, and then call in to complain to get Dish to send you the dongle for free.

Getting back on topic, it appears Dish's treatment of RV'ers (or accounts in general) is getting dangerously close to the behaviors that got them in trouble with the courts for offering Distant Network signals in the first place. Based on what I read here, and on the RV forums, you just call Dish anytime you want and change your service address (and locals). At my location so many spot beams overlap that I'm within the "Green" ring on the maps for 12 markets. I have two more markets that are close enough that they likely would come in. I essentially could buy a dish & a receiver, pay them $20 a month for the welcome package, and have any of those 14 DMA's locals that I want.

You can't simply buy the equipment get a cheap package and pick your locals from spotbeams you get. The responsibility of DISH is to obtain the paperwork that proves you are an RV'r or Trucker. You must provide that. Then, being mobile you are allowed to get whatever locals are assigned to your area by the address you are at. There is no mechanism the FCC mandates that DISH must somehow prove where you are, and other than you telling DISH where you are in getting those locals I don't know how else it would be done. At one time you were able to bypass any locals with Distants from DISH there is no reason to think it matters much which one you get in an RV particularly what for most is shorter periods of time. You are applying rules for a home to someone who is mobile, they are not the same. DISH had more responsibility for what you are comparing because they were knowingly giving two sets of locals at times where the FCC said they should not have been.
There is no criminal or any consequence other than possible breach of contract with DISH of you giving false info to get a different set of locals than where you are actually are whether mobile or home.
There is no requirement that I have ever seen in the RV provisions where you even must call dish when you move to another area, if you can still get the same locals you can continue to do so as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)