Cheapest option for 3rd receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

msgph

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 17, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Hi All,

I am looking to come back to DISH from Time Warner Cable - home of the worlds worst customer service.

Anyway, I need a three receiver setup for my home, due to the size of our family:

The setup I am looking for:

1. HD TV - HD DVR
2. HD TV - (second feed from HD DVR)

3. SD TV - SD receiver
4. SD TV - (second feed from SD receiver)

5. HD TV - HD receiver
6. SD TV - (second feed from HD receiver)

I called DISH, two receivers are free, but they are wanting $149 for the third receiver. DishStore.Net told me that the third receiver is actually $199. I am not really looking to change my setup, but does anyone have any ideas on a cheaper solution for the third receiver?

Thanks!

Michael

The cheapest SD dual-tuner receiver you can buy would be a 322. Cheapest NEW price looks like it's from this guy.

Thanks for the info.

I assume that DISH will charge an installation fee to install this one, when they install the 'free' ones? If they do, then the price still comes out about the same. I certainly don't mind refurb/used equipment for the third receiver, just didn't think I would have to shell out $200 for it.

If you buy a receiver from a 3rd party, you can install it yourself for free.

Your set up for 1 and 2 are not possible. None of the HD-DVR receivers have a 2nd HD output. They are all SD to the 2nd tv.You will actually need 4 receivers. If you want A HD DVR for sets 1 and 2 , you will need 2 612s. A 722 for tvs 5 and 6 is fine. For tvs 3 and 4 the 322 is best.

Your set up for 1 and 2 are not possible. None of the HD-DVR receivers have a 2nd HD output.

It is possible if he is willing for both TV's to mirror each other by using both HDMI and component outputs.

how many tvs do you watch all at the same time?

2 HD receivers(dvrs) will give you 4 different outputs(rooms) to watch 4 different programs (live or dvr)

so if you have other rooms with tvs that don't need "independent viewing",
you can feed many rooms from the "Distribution" outputs of the dvrs
(and either carry the remote to those rooms or just buy more "rf" remotes)

how many tvs do you watch all at the same time?

2 HD receivers(dvrs) will give you 4 different outputs(rooms) to watch 4 different programs (live or dvr)

so if you have other rooms with tvs that don't need "independent viewing",
you can feed many rooms from the "Distribution" outputs of the dvrs
(and either carry the remote to those rooms or just buy more "rf" remotes)

Unfortunately, with kids, the remotes would just be lost :)

So I called DISH back today. Sometimes it WHO you get in Customer Service. This time they quoted me $328 for a third receiver and installation. This seems fairly high considering I already have a Dish 1000 on my roof and wiring to all the rooms. Over $300? Jeez.

Your set up for 1 and 2 are not possible. None of the HD-DVR receivers have a 2nd HD output. They are all SD to the 2nd tv.You will actually need 4 receivers. If you want A HD DVR for sets 1 and 2 , you will need 2 612s. A 722 for tvs 5 and 6 is fine. For tvs 3 and 4 the 322 is best.

On 1 and 2, I only need HD on the first tv. Second tv is a small bedroom 19" tv.

I'm surprised that you'd need 6 tuners simultaneously. You'd think you can get by with 4 tuners and have 2 SD tv's doubled up on 2 tuners - especially since you now clarified that you have 4 SDTV's instead of 3SD/3HD. You'd save on the install, equipment and monthly rate. But that's just my 2 cents and it doesn't stimulate the economy like $100's of dollars and higher monthly bills.

I'm surprised that you'd need 6 tuners simultaneously. You'd think you can get by with 4 tuners and have 2 SD tv's doubled up on 2 tuners - especially since you now clarified that you have 4 SDTV's instead of 3SD/3HD. You'd save on the install, equipment and monthly rate. But that's just my 2 cents and it doesn't stimulate the economy like $100's of dollars and higher monthly bills.

Thanks for the idea. My biggest problem is how spread out the tv's are and remote control issues. If I could solve that, I could probably go that route.

You'd just have 2 pairs of TV's that would be able to show the same tuner, so what 2 tv's aren't watched when another is? I don't know about you, but I watch mostly DVR recordings - so it doesn't matter much what is on live TV now (except for sports). But even with sports, I tend to watch it on my large TV in the living room. I don't know if you can get 2 UHF remotes on the same tuner, but I'd look into it - then you'd just need 2 extra. They are like $20 each. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to do that - it's just a setting - heck my neighbor's remote used to control my TV2 tuner, so I'm sure it's possible. Just set 2 UHF remotes to the same setting and try it. Then you'd have a remote at each TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)