Cheapest package to have a separate VIP receiver account to get OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
I'd like to upgrade to Hopper/Joey system but don't want to lose the OTA sub-channel recording ability.

The solution would be to get a secondary account with the cheapest possible package so my purchased 722 receiver would be used for the OTA purpose.

Should I get:

Welcome Package: $15
International Basic: $10
Chinese Basic$ 10

Of course I'd need to pay separate $6 DVR fee as well.

If you wait just a little the OTA should be out by June or July. (Or as we were told a J month this year) The packages you list can not be had alone except the Welcome package. Can you watch OTA right from the TV instead for now and just not record it?

Last edited:
I don't watch anything live anymore so I must have recording capability.

I just wish DISH can allow at least 1 VIP receiver on the Hopper account for situations like this.

Why can't you just wait until the OTA becomes available for the Hopper? Should be available in the next couple months. Adding a second account just for OTA recording seems like a waste of money if you ask me.

Yep. Gotta recommend waiting a couple of months and upgrading then. It's only going to get better.

And I suspect the upfront and monthly charges will not change by much, if at all, from what they are today.

Since I'm already paying $17 on additional receiver fee for the 722... the Welcome Package at $15 plus $6 DVR fee = $21 isn't that much of difference.. especially if I can get some kind of recurring credits to offset the difference :)

I hardly ever record off the OTA signal and do not often watch a ota channel (mostly when I get the message on my VIP722 that the recording will be lost if I change channels, which I guess is a non-issue with the hopper/joey system. I've been waiting for the the OTA to get the Hopper, buy I might go on it. Since it is so close to the J months, I might wait. I now share TV2 with 4 tv's and it works out fine. I have to see how one joey can be shared.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)