Adding Additional Networks to PTAT

seb5988

Original poster
May 13, 2012
NC
With PTAT enabled it seems it seems awful backwards using an additional tuner to record Primetime shows on the CW. Are there any plans to include additional networks in PTAT in the future?

PTAT works by having channels on the same satellite transponder. Probably not as easy as just picking extra channels and adding them in.

I don't even get a local CW via Dish. They offer a CW from a different market that isn't even in HD so it's probably not on the same transponder as my HD locals. I wonder how many people are in the same boat?

Last edited:
PTAT works by having channels on the same satellite transponder. Probably not as easy as just picking extra channels and adding them in. I don't even get a local CW via Dish and it isn't even in HD.

You don't, but I do, and it's on the same transponder as the big 4.....

You don't, but I do, and it's on the same transponder as the big 4.....
i edited...see above where i raise the question about how many even get a CW that's in HD on the same transponder.

If it's not most of their customers, then it becomes a marketing issue.... Easier to just advertise and explain the big 4.

We'll see what happens....

Why does it have to be HD channels for PTAT? All my SD locals are on the same spot beam and would use a lot less bandwith to record.

If it recorded both SD and HD it would tie up a bunch more hard drive space, not to mention trying to wade through all those recordings on the GUI.....

Bobby said:
If it recorded both SD and HD it would tie up a bunch more hard drive space, not to mention trying to wade through all those recordings on the GUI.....

Most of us on EA don't get SD copies of our HD locals. I don't see why they couldn't have it work on SD locals if the HD ones aren't available in a market.

I would like to see PTAT run a little longer to include The Tonight Show and The Late Show also is there a way to have it start recording ON time instead of like 5:58 cuz it messes things up for me?

Dishman1978 said:
Not everybody that has a hopper is on EA?

Not everyone has HD locals?

I'm just saying why not let people in markets with only SD locals have PTAT? If you get them in HD the SD wouldn't have to record. I don't think they would have to make it record twice for people with both.

I do get mine in HD but I wouldn't be very happy with the hopper if I lived in an SD only market.

If it's not most of their customers, then it becomes a marketing issue.... Easier to just advertise and explain the big 4.

I think this is part of it. Much easier to say "The Big 4" than it is to say "Usually the Big 4, but some markets may vary". (Granted, that's definitely possible -- the exact local channels carried by Dish varies per market anyway and they seem to be able to deal with that.

It may also be a processing limit of some sort -- "record the entire transponder and decode off the hard drive" may only be able to decipher so many of the data substreams at once.

I don't see them doing it for SD. In the not too distant future there won't be any SD locals, and at some point no SD period or close to it. If a channel can't go HD in some reasonable time frame they probably won't be around. Why put any effort into that, just like why put any effort into a technology like 3D that looks like isn't going anywhere soon?

But I have no doubt being able to bundle record other channels is coming and no doubt that's the tip of the technology. At some point technology or software upgrades will probably allow recording other blocks of channels, other time frames.

PTAT records ALL the HD locals coming off your local transponder.

The reason its the Big 4 at the moment is because in many areas that is all they have.

They COULD (and who knows could be a future update) turn it on so you see all your HD Locals in PTAT but then advertising it will be hard since while some cities have 4 HD networks, other cities have up to 7. So if they advertised it as being able to record up to 9 shows at once some people in some markets will be pissed they can only record 6. :)

I have two CBS affiliates in my market available on Dish in HD. PTAT only records one of them, located in Spokane. The second one, located at the edge of the DMA, is not on PTAT. So clearly in some markets, Dish can choose based on duplication.
Most likely the 2nd CBS is on a different spotbeam and thus a different transponder. That is why it wouldn't be included.

I have two CBS affiliates in my market available on Dish in HD. PTAT only records one of them, located in Spokane. The second one, located at the edge of the DMA, is not on PTAT. So clearly in some markets, Dish can choose based on duplication.

Most likely the 2nd CBS is on a different spotbeam and thus a different transponder. That is why it wouldn't be included.

poster is in Spokane which has 2 CBS in HD on same TP (110W TP20)
SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Dish Network Spokane, WA
6443 & 6440

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)