Adding Additional Networks to PTAT

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
With PTAT enabled it seems it seems awful backwards using an additional tuner to record Primetime shows on the CW.
Given how few customers are likely to record anything off of CW, it doesn't seem backwards at all. CW is not really a network but a small collection (two hours per weeknight) of prime time shows.

Given how few customers are likely to record anything off of CW, it doesn't seem backwards at all. CW is not really a network but a small collection (two hours per weeknight) of prime time shows.

That's basically the same as Fox. I think my local news is recorded for the last hour of PTAT every night except for Sunday.

If you ask me, seems pointless. CW is a low rated network, and may not even be around 5-10 years from now. In the meantime, many people, such as myself, do not even have CW HD.

Otherwise, other OTA networks such as Retro TV, Antenna TV, MyNetwork, This TV, and such, are just gloried syndication networks, so there is really no real prime time to speak of.

I will say, I do think they should add PBS in the fold.

I would like to see them add all the major networks like Pbs and Cw . Then you would have all 6 networks that can be watched in PTAT. Then DISH could claim you could record 9 shows at a time during prime time.

Minimal Power said:
If you ask me, seems pointless. CW is a low rated network, and may not even be around 5-10 years from now. In the meantime, many people, such as myself, do not even have CW HD.

Otherwise, other OTA networks such as Retro TV, Antenna TV, MyNetwork, This TV, and such, are just gloried syndication networks, so there is really no real prime time to speak of.

I don't watch anything on CW myself except for reruns of shows from other channels. I was just pointing out for the person that said they only have 2 hours of prime time a night that so does fox at least on week nights.

Minimal Power said:

This is all a matter of opinion. You'd like PBS, others want CW, some want both. What it isn't is pointless. I'd Dish has the ability to expand PTAT to include other desired networks (at no detriment to viewers), then some will benefit from it and it's a win-win.

When Dish has both the CW and local PBS stations available in HD to every subscriber we may see it. I don't see it happening at all until that point. I happen to have both CW and PBS available in HD in my area. Let's say they give it to me. You don't have it available in your area. Are you gonna be pissed and demand that they make it available to you. Of course you are. Therein lies the rub......

Bobby said:
When Dish has both the CW and local PBS stations available in HD to every subscriber we may see it. I don't see it happening at all until that point. I happen to have both CW and PBS available in HD in my area. Let's say they give it to me. You don't have it available in your area. Are you gonna be pissed and demand that they make it available to you. Of course you are. Therein lies the rub......

They don't have the big 4 available in HD to every subscriber so some people can't get PTAT at all yet Dish still gives it to those of us that do get HD locals.

They don't have the big 4 available in HD to every subscriber so some people can't get PTAT at all yet Dish still gives it to those of us that do get HD locals.
And therein erases the rub. :D To add to that, there are markets where there is a mix of SD and HD on just the 4 major networks.

I think the big issue is Dish needs to figure out how to add channels and still keep consistent marketing nationally. I personally would stick with the current 4 channels and add to the depends on local availability asterisk by indicating that additional locals may be included depending on HD availability. Then once they've added more locals to the majority of the markets missing CW, PBS etc. they can change their national advertising to say 6 channels (or whatever it turns out to be) depending on availability.

This way they can keep a consistent message and consumers in markets that are ready to go for PTAT expansion don't have to wait needlessly.

Does anyone know what the percentage for must carry all local HD channels in a market are for next year? I know that my CW and main PBS station were added this year in advance of this year's percentage deadline, so I'd imagine local HD expansion will once again happen in a flurry before next year's deadine.

Is it always the case that all HD locals in a market are on the same transponder? Besides the HD requirement, the single transponder is also a limitation.

Go here and you might see that it isn't always simple:

SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Subscription subdish

In the NY DMA, WPIX, WWOR, and the New Jersey PBS station WNJN are on the same transponder as the PTAT networks, but the main NY PBS station WNET is not. I don't think that New Yorkers are going to want the PTAT PBS to be the New Jersey station. You can look up your spotbeam transponder locations on the above site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)