Cheapest sat Id meter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
More economical solution would be one of these Multifeed Calculators found on the web. Some give quite accurate LNB angles and positions relative to a central LNB in the dish focal point. :)

The problem with software it can be hard to take with you when working on a dish outside, especially in bad weather and I'd either have to get someones shareware program or buy the software,then a laptop, neither which I care to do. At least with the FS1 meter I can use it on other dishes or installations that I may do as I've got some neighbor that have expressed some interest in FTA and could I install the system for them.

SuperBuddy Meter

The original question here was an inquiry for an inexpensive meter. I understand this, but please allow me to go from one extreme to the other in this regard.

When I first started in the FTA hobby I did not use a meter of any sort. My first FTA receiver was the Coolsat 5000 (which I still own and use today). I researched the satellites available to my area through Lyngsat and SatCoDX and manually entered them in the Coolsat receiver. I then took the advice and instructions from the Masters and the Gurus regarding how to set up and align the satellite dish. In the beginning, I did not have a motorized system, only one fixed point dish which I aimed at 97.0°W (IA-5 at that time - now Galaxy 19).

I rolled out an extension cord to where my dish was planted and set up the Coolsat and my TV right there. I then used the manual scan mode of the Coolsat to select the satellite and the transponder that I wanted to dial in on. With the Coolsat and TV waiting to receive that signal, I set the dish assembly up for the nearest appropriate angles of elevation and LNBF polarization and focal position. I then manually panned the dish east to west and west to east in the general "window" for where I knew the satellite should be until I detected a "blip" on the Coolsat meter.

With some minor fine tuning of the dish I brought that quality level up to a point where I could scan what I found. I performed a manual scan of that particular signal and compared the channels logged in to what Lyngsat showed should be there.

My first attempt proved accurate and I knew I was aligned to the proper satellite. So I then "tweaked and peaked" the dish and the LNBF for the best quality and scanned the entire satellite.

From this, you can deduce that you don't require a meter at all. All you really require is a fairly decent FTA receiver with a fairly responsive signal quality meter (one that locks onto the signal quickly), a good knowledge of what you are doing ahead of time and plenty of patience and a really nice day.

Now, allow me to take this all the way to the other end of the spectrum by suggesting a high dollar meter - The SuperBuddy Meter from Applied Instruments.

If you want to really have a LOT of FUN with this hobby or if you are going into business setting up satellite dishes, you MUST consider this meter.

It is expensive, I understand that. About $700. If that figure scares the heck out of you, then you probably don't want to go here. But, allow me to try to explain why it is so expensive.

This meter is not a toy.

It is not an "el-cheapo" freebie meter that you would get with the purchase of a satellite receiver as a "thank you for buying from us" gift. This is a major, high quality instrument that is just as much fun to use as it is versatile. You name it... What do you want your meter to do? It does it. FTA? It does it! DishNetwork? It does it! DirecTV? It does it! BellExpress? It does it! Wild Blue internet? It does it! HughesNet? It does it! Cable quality analyzer? It does it! Spectrum analyzer? It does it! Upgradeable? Yes! Manually programmable? YES! World class support for repair and upgrades? You Bet!

I have owned my SuperBuddy meter for five or six years now. This is one item that I have purchased that, although a high dollar instrument, I have been extremely pleased with all the way. I don't regret one penny of the cost as it has been a true "SuperBuddy" to me! I no longer have to haul a receiver and a TV and an extension cord out to the dish to do my job.

Not only does it make my own hobby easy and fun, but when I want to set up a system for a friend or neighbor, I can do so quickly and easily that I leave them in amazement.

Some of my friends ask me to help them out with realigning their DishNetwork or DirecTV dishes when they need to repair their roofs or when they are remodeling their homes. I can do this with the SuperBuddy meter and I can dial their dish in much better than the original technician did when it was first installed. Yep, I can actually brag about my FTA installations and my retweaks of existing systems. I attribute much of this capability to the SuperBuddy meter.

The installation technicians for DISH, Bell and DirecTV, WildBlue and HughesNet, etc, should have this meter. It sincerely is that good.

If you have the money to spend on this meter, I can personally recommend it. If you are in business to install satellite dishes for almost any purpose, your technicians should have this meter at their disposal. You will have to investigate all the other things that it can do as I can only scratch the surface.

To summarize... If you are just playing around your home with your FTA hobby, there is no need to dabble with a meter. You can accomplish your goals with your receiver and save yourself money if you understand what you are doing. On the other hand, if you are really into this hobby and you don't mind spending a few bucks, buy something that you will be proud of and something that will last. Oh, and the SuperBuddy is made in the USA! (Indiana)

RADAR

The problem with software it can be hard to take with you when working on a dish outside
One still needs to have some idea on what distances and angles side LNBs in a multifeed need to be mounted to get signals from targeted sats - to use proper mounting arrangements, so the apps calculating LNB positions in multifeed are always handy, even if manual signal picking is still required after all. :)

I've found that using a C-Band/4DTV receiver for a movable dish works just great,. After finding one satellite I know that it's 25 clicks to the next one and then doing a blind scan with the FTA receiver is all it takes, works for C and KU.
Now for a fixed dish with more than one LNB/F now that's another story, that's why I getting a FS1 meter this summer as it should make setting up a fix dish easier.
I'm a believer in using the STB or receiver to lock and tune satellite signals. But just recently, I got an FS1 sat meter. Boy, was I surprised as how quickly it picked up the signals! I now use the FS1 meter to quickly lock the signal, and then using the STB, I would scan in and peak the weak signals. This method has cut my setup time by almost 75%. Btw, I just upgraded my FS1 from the "K" series to the "L" Series. So far, I like the FS1 meter a lot.

The original question here was an inquiry for an inexpensive meter. I understand this, but please allow me to go from one extreme to the other in this regard.

When I first started in the FTA hobby I did not use a meter of any sort. My first FTA receiver was the Coolsat 5000 (which I still own and use today). I researched the satellites available to my area through Lyngsat and SatCoDX and manually entered them in the Coolsat receiver. I then took the advice and instructions from the Masters and the Gurus regarding how to set up and align the satellite dish. In the beginning, I did not have a motorized system, only one fixed point dish which I aimed at 97.0°W (IA-5 at that time - now Galaxy 19).

I rolled out an extension cord to where my dish was planted and set up the Coolsat and my TV right there. I then used the manual scan mode of the Coolsat to select the satellite and the transponder that I wanted to dial in on. With the Coolsat and TV waiting to receive that signal, I set the dish assembly up for the nearest appropriate angles of elevation and LNBF polarization and focal position. I then manually panned the dish east to west and west to east in the general "window" for where I knew the satellite should be until I detected a "blip" on the Coolsat meter.

With some minor fine tuning of the dish I brought that quality level up to a point where I could scan what I found. I performed a manual scan of that particular signal and compared the channels logged in to what Lyngsat showed should be there.

My first attempt proved accurate and I knew I was aligned to the proper satellite. So I then "tweaked and peaked" the dish and the LNBF for the best quality and scanned the entire satellite.

From this, you can deduce that you don't require a meter at all. All you really require is a fairly decent FTA receiver with a fairly responsive signal quality meter (one that locks onto the signal quickly), a good knowledge of what you are doing ahead of time and plenty of patience and a really nice day.

Now, allow me to take this all the way to the other end of the spectrum by suggesting a high dollar meter - The SuperBuddy Meter from Applied Instruments.

If you want to really have a LOT of FUN with this hobby or if you are going into business setting up satellite dishes, you MUST consider this meter.

It is expensive, I understand that. About $700. If that figure scares the heck out of you, then you probably don't want to go here. But, allow me to try to explain why it is so expensive.

This meter is not a toy.

It is not an "el-cheapo" freebie meter that you would get with the purchase of a satellite receiver as a "thank you for buying from us" gift. This is a major, high quality instrument that is just as much fun to use as it is versatile. You name it... What do you want your meter to do? It does it. FTA? It does it! DishNetwork? It does it! DirecTV? It does it! BellExpress? It does it! Wild Blue internet? It does it! HughesNet? It does it! Cable quality analyzer? It does it! Spectrum analyzer? It does it! Upgradeable? Yes! Manually programmable? YES! World class support for repair and upgrades? You Bet!

I have owned my SuperBuddy meter for five or six years now. This is one item that I have purchased that, although a high dollar instrument, I have been extremely pleased with all the way. I don't regret one penny of the cost as it has been a true "SuperBuddy" to me! I no longer have to haul a receiver and a TV and an extension cord out to the dish to do my job.

Not only does it make my own hobby easy and fun, but when I want to set up a system for a friend or neighbor, I can do so quickly and easily that I leave them in amazement.

Some of my friends ask me to help them out with realigning their DishNetwork or DirecTV dishes when they need to repair their roofs or when they are remodeling their homes. I can do this with the SuperBuddy meter and I can dial their dish in much better than the original technician did when it was first installed. Yep, I can actually brag about my FTA installations and my retweaks of existing systems. I attribute much of this capability to the SuperBuddy meter.

The installation technicians for DISH, Bell and DirecTV, WildBlue and HughesNet, etc, should have this meter. It sincerely is that good.

If you have the money to spend on this meter, I can personally recommend it. If you are in business to install satellite dishes for almost any purpose, your technicians should have this meter at their disposal. You will have to investigate all the other things that it can do as I can only scratch the surface.

To summarize... If you are just playing around your home with your FTA hobby, there is no need to dabble with a meter. You can accomplish your goals with your receiver and save yourself money if you understand what you are doing. On the other hand, if you are really into this hobby and you don't mind spending a few bucks, buy something that you will be proud of and something that will last. Oh, and the SuperBuddy is made in the USA! (Indiana)

RADAR

I am seriously considering this meter. I have been a Birdog user for quite a few years & for the most part have been extremely happy with them (2.5 version & usb plus, have both). I mostly do the pizza dishes, & the occasional fta setup. The biggest gripe with Birdog is the frequent updates & the use of receiver pwr needed to tune with for the swm & ea 1k4 as it kills the bd battery very quickly. Right now I do have the extra money to afford a super buddy & after reading your post, am leaning that way even more. I also have a fta 3abn to move for a customer this upcoming week & wasn't sure where galaxy 19 is, didn't realize it is 97w. Thank you for that. To the op I do have a birdog 2.5 for sale here on this site that hasn't sold yet. Check out the link & pm me if interested. http://www.satelliteguys.us/satelliteguys-classifieds/245118-birdog-satellite-meter-2-5-version.html

I am seriously considering this meter. I have been a Birdog user for quite a few years & for the most part have been extremely happy with them (2.5 version & usb plus, have both). I mostly do the pizza dishes, & the occasional fta setup. The biggest gripe with Birdog is the frequent updates & the use of receiver pwr needed to tune with for the swm & ea 1k4 as it kills the bd battery very quickly. Right now I do have the extra money to afford a super buddy & after reading your post, am leaning that way even more. I also have a fta 3abn to move for a customer this upcoming week & wasn't sure where galaxy 19 is, didn't realize it is 97w. Thank you for that. To the op I do have a birdog 2.5 for sale here on this site that hasn't sold yet. Check out the link & pm me if interested. http://www.satelliteguys.us/satelliteguys-classifieds/245118-birdog-satellite-meter-2-5-version.html

Stardust,

If you can justify the $700, you will be rewarded with this meter. I believe that their newest model (the SuperBuddy 29) has more features built in than my model from 5-6 years ago, so that is a plus.

Some other items that I didn't mention before (because there is so much to this meter) is that it has a satellite ID function. So you can confirm that you have locked onto the desired satellite before you lock down the dish adjustments. It also has a manual tuning mode. Here you can enter the TP frequency, polarity, symbol rate etc. yourself. You can also turn the LNB power OFF and connect the meter to your LOOP OUT port on your receiver and monitor your signal level and quality level with it. I like this feature because it allows me to judge the accuracy of the receiver's quality meter compared to the calibrated scale of the SuperBuddy meter.

The signal quality representation also records the highest peak you have detected, so you can always jig around for the "sweet" spot with a reference to the best you found so far.

I will make a note regarding the spectrum analyzer feature - it works OK, but the display is a graphical LCD so it leaves a little to be desired (it is not like a CRT on an o-scope).

It also has a BEEP on signal function and a backlit display for use at night. AND it has a zip code look up to tell you what angles are required for the satellite you are tuning to.

It is also built like a tank! I don't recommend throwing it off a three story roof to test it, but that is how tough it is built.

Applied Instruments is one of our sponsors, so you can find their website easily at the top of the page. Go there and check it all out. You'll be amazed at what else they have to offer as well. They have a lot of really great tutorials and support documents.

One last comment. I have absolutely no reservations in recommending this meter. Except for the price, there is nothing about this meter that you will not like and if you purchase one, you will never look back at me and tell me that I steered you wrong. As a matter of fact, you will be beaming with pride every opportunity you get to use it! The price is the only thing that you must weigh for yourself. Personally, I think that it is worth more than the $700 for what it can do, but let's not tell Applied's sales department about that point. ;)

RADAR

Last edited:
I agree with Radar a Sat meter is a good investment. I had used the small TV & extension cord and Sat Receiver route for dish alignment. 2 years ago I purchased a Trimax 2200 Sat Meter for $500.00. If I had to do it again I would get the Superbuddy though, after seeing my Bell Canada Installer use it. Its a much more stable Sat meter.

Evidently the NBC crew doesn't carry any meters in the fly packs. In Trafalar Square in London an hour ago and watched this crew swing the dish, elevate and spin the reflector skew setting for 10 minutes. They were referencing the Scopus receiver meter and quite busy on the phone. I finally offered my iPhone with DishPointer. They accepted! :)

All is good for the NBC backhaul.... LOL!

(evidently I am unable to upload video to the forum from my iPhone!!!! :(

Attached still

Attachments

• image-894827840.png
    image-894827840.png
    216.8 KB · Views: 186
They were on Telstar 12 @ 15W. Every network has many uplinks going. Must have seen 30 KU uplink trucks and hundreds of ENG crews. I would scan the Eastern Birds for KU. Havent seen any C-band. The area around Buckingham Palace has at least 50 lit temporary studios built out of scaffolding, dozens of positions near the Abbey and many more throughout sites in the city.

Caught the NBC morning show shooting at 11am.

Happy Scanning!

I'm a believer in using the STB or receiver to lock and tune satellite signals. But just recently, I got an FS1 sat meter. Boy, was I surprised as how quickly it picked up the signals! I now use the FS1 meter to quickly lock the signal, and then using the STB, I would scan in and peak the weak signals. This method has cut my setup time by almost 75%. Btw, I just upgraded my FS1 from the "K" series to the "L" Series. So far, I like the FS1 meter a lot.

I'm glad you like yours as everything I've read or heard so far tells me it's going to be a good investment to add to my other tools that I use. Hoped to buy it this next month but best laid plans went south as today got the report back on our basement radon test so now I've got to buy myself either a Hitachi or DeWalt rotary hammer drill plus all the parts so I can install a basement mitigation for it.

They were referencing the Scopus receiver meter and quite busy on the phone. I finally offered my iPhone with DishPointer. They accepted! :)
Well, I guess it becomes a second nature for someone doing it for a leaving. They can probably use stars to pick the dish in 10 min. :)

I wonder, what were you doing there? :)

I was wondering why that NBC crew were turning the dish for skew thru over 90 degrees, surely they knew they are virtually on the the 0 meridian and Telstar is has only a few degrees of skew. To set up right behind a lamp post seemed a little strange too.

If we were allowed to touch their equipment (just to familiarize ourselves with it and level the platform), I bet that we could put them to shame by aligning their dish for broadcast and reception in 18 minutes or less! If there were a game show to challenge them in this way, I'd like to team up with you guys and take them on! That would be fun!

Most likely there are greater delays involved in their process since they are transmitting and have to wait for permissions, but I would still bet that we could beat their time. We're the "Quick Draw McGraws" of satellite aiming! LOL! :D

RADAR

No one commented about this, so maybe I'll point it out.

The fellow that walked in front of the dish came back and said something like "It's pointed like this [and made a movement with his hand] and should be pointed like this[and made another motion with his hand]." The guy behind the dish spun the dish in the opposite direction.

Sort of reminds me of someone on this forum that is trying to aim a C Band dish, eh ... What?

(names have been changed to protect the innocent)

Photto

Status
Please reply by conversation.