Cheapest way to get Sirius on DISH

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
Currently I have HD pack and international programming, I'd like to get Sirius channels without having a basic package. Is that possible?

I have no interest in basic channels as I get most of them on cable anyway but I like the signal clarity on DISH compared to regular Sirius receivers.

I'm almost positive the answer is no. I haven't seen any listing of a package of just music channels. Why don't you just subscribe to Sirius. The monthly cost really isn't bad. And you get more channels than are on DISH. The home receivers are pretty darn cheap too. Check out your local Best Buy or Circuit City (or head over to Ebay).

I already have Sirius in the car.

But the sound from the digital out of the DISH receiver is 100% better and pure than the Sirius gear.

THAT'S WHY.

I tried buying the DISH Audio package for $5 on the DISH website.. it didn't activiate the Sirius channels. Oh well!

The $5 package is just the CD audio channels (950-982) not Sirius

You need at least AT120 to get them...thats the only way to get them through Dish

I must confess I also enjoy Sirius via E* as well as in my car. I wish E* would partner with Sirius somehow so that we could get their other channels too. For example, Sirius' NFL channel is just tops!

--Doug

Looks like DishLATINO Dos is the cheapest package at $35

I don't even speak a word of Spanish.

It's ridiculous that I have to pay so much just for audio channels!

datwell said:
I must confess I also enjoy Sirius via E* as well as in my car. I wish E* would partner with Sirius somehow so that we could get their other channels too. For example, Sirius' NFL channel is just tops!
--Doug

I actually wish they could do a special receiver for E* subscribers for the car. So that we could get the E* Sirius in our cars as well as our homes without paying an additional 12.95 per month to Sirius.

Weezknight said:
I actually wish they could do a special receiver for E* subscribers for the car. So that we could get the E* Sirius in our cars as well as our homes without paying an additional 12.95 per month to Sirius.

I think the real roadblock to this was that while the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy wanted to push this one through, Santa Claus just wouldn't go for it - he enjoyed delivering all of the Sirius satellite radios to good girls & boys at Christmas!

LOL

--Doug

smooth28la said:
I already have Sirius in the car.

But the sound from the digital out of the DISH receiver is 100% better and pure than the Sirius gear.

THAT'S WHY.

I tried buying the DISH Audio package for $5 on the DISH website.. it didn't activiate the Sirius channels. Oh well!

You should get an add-on that connects to your home entertainment system. If Sirius doesn't sound good in the car then maybe you should get new speakers. It sounds good to me.

smooth28la said:
Currently I have HD pack and international programming, I'd like to get Sirius channels without having a basic package. Is that possible?

I have no interest in basic channels as I get most of them on cable anyway but I like the signal clarity on DISH compared to regular Sirius receivers.
Sirus service is free to AT 120 and above...No you cannot buy it a la carte

smooth28la said:
Looks like DishLATINO Dos is the cheapest package at $35

I don't even speak a word of Spanish.

It's ridiculous that I have to pay so much just for audio channels!
the $$ isn't for the Sirius channels...it is for the tv programing
The Sirius service is an added bonus.....

Get a used Sirius unit on ebay for about $30 and pay the $13/mo (or $7/mo if you already have one) and get the $5 adapter to connect to the home A/V unit.

If you have the HD Standalone pack, then you must be paying $36/month. And you've added the Audio a la Carte for another $5, to bring you to $41.

You could go to HD Silver and get Sirius, plus all of the other SD channels, plus the audio channels, for a total of $60.

This would be cheaper than adding Latino Dos, and only a bit more than adding another Sirius radio subscription.

Tom Bombadil said:
If you have the HD Standalone pack, then you must be paying $36/month. And you've added the Audio a la Carte for another $5, to bring you to $41.

You could go to HD Silver and get Sirius, plus all of the other SD channels, plus the audio channels, for a total of $60.

This would be cheaper than adding Latino Dos, and only a bit more than adding another Sirius radio subscription.

Plus he could save money by dropping cable.

I have sirius in all my cars 2 are hard wired/ intergrated and 1 is the fm modulator w/ an aftermarket receiver and I have to tell you the wired/ intergrated units sound the best.

It is day 1 since I shut sirius off after 2 yrs and I can't handle it!

anyone know if the sirius is encrypted or is it still FTA?

If it is I think I'll strap a dish to the roof of my escalade and pick up sirius:D

:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)