Cheat heat fix

bucksy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
There is a long post on heat probs. with 722 etc I solved it for $6.00 at walmart get a 4inch high velocity fan made by Massey it is regular 110 volt placed it on right side as you look at front blowing thru box goodbye even warm feeling when you touck the case.

There are a few threads on heat issues that have been discussed at length and the following solutions were determined to be effective for the 622 and 722.

1. Fan on the right blowing air into the dvr
2. Fan on the left pulling air through the dvr
3. Laptop cooler under the dvr pulling air through the dvr
4. Remove the dvr cover
5. Adhere heat sinks to the offending chipsets on the dvr mainboard

CYA Note: Solutions 4 and 5 are NOT recommended for those who lease their receiver.

If you have a Home Theater set up, you cound connect the fan to your receivers Swithced AC outlet. That way the fan only runs when you watch TV.
DVR's run all the time though. I am not sure what the point of only cooling it some of the time would be. Putting some kind of rheostat on the fan and adjusting the speed slightly would be a better solution.

if you do cool the unit with a fan on the right side, make sure it is a fairly high volume of air going into the unit. i made the mistake of directing some air flow into the right side of the unit, but it was'nt enough to cool the unit. but evidently it was just enough to trick the internal fan into thinking it was cool and not coming on. i started having intermittent problems after setting it up that way. when i figured out what might be happening, i stopped the air redirection into the right side and things returned to normal (or as normal as life can be with a 722).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)