Chicago MPEG 4

Status
Please reply by conversation.
About what I expected

The third schedule appointment was a winner. When I placed the order with D* for the AT-9 dish I told them that it was a pole mount and needed a new multiswitch. So today the installer shows up, no notice of needing a pole mount on the work order (didn't matter since they said they never received the new poles and didn't know when they would get them). Also no notice on the work order for needing a new multiswitch, but they had one on the truck. The work order did say to install a new H20, which I already had ordered on my own.

So after some discussion I decided to let them mount the dish on the roof over the service door from the garage, which is really low and easy to get to. They run all the cables and install the new dish and switch and we're up and running in about 90 minutes. Had them leave the old dish and switch, they had no issues with that, never asked for it.

Haven't done much playing around yet but no problems so far. The signal readings on my old Tivo's and R15 (the H20's reporting lower #'s then other STB's as others have noted) are higher then what I had on the old phase III (and it was just realinged four weeks ago), all 101/110/119 reading in the lower 90's. On 103 (network 14) I have 86 and TP5 and 93 on TP11.

As noted by others, don't like if I do a direct tune to channel 2, 5, 7 or 32 the H20 goes to the D* SD version of the channel, I need to channel up to get to the HD channel. I haven't found a way around this, has anyone else?

The Chicago HD channels were there without having to call D* to active them, plus the NYC HD feeds are still active.

Now if we can get someone at D* to figure out that they'd have a real advantage over E* if they's just fire up Comcast Sportsnet Chicago's HD feed I'd be happy (for awhile).

hdtvtechno said:

For the heck of it I sent an e-mail to D*:

I would like to suggest that DirecTV add the HD fee of Comcast Sportsnet Chicago to the new local into local HD service in the Chicago area. Right now the only way to get this channel is via Comcast cable. Since DirecTV prides itself as being the leader in sports programming adding this channel ASAP would give you a competative advantage over Dish Network for customers in the Chicago area.

Their canned response:

Thanks for your suggestion! We're always looking for ways to enhance our services, and customer feedback is very important to us. I have forwarded your comments on to DIRECTV Management.

We often make changes to our service based on customer requests, and we conduct customer surveys on a regular basis to get feedback and new ideas.

Thanks again for your suggestion, and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our service.

Maybe (but I doubt it) if others sent in a request it might happen sooner then later.

I've occasionally read posts, but this is my first time i've posted.. im curious, what channels am i getting with the upgrade. They are coming in tommrow(sat. dec. 17) to install the satellite and receiver. ive talked to a rep. twice and they both gave me different information on what channels im going to get. If u r getting locals from the chicagoland area can someone help me out.
thanks erik..

erikcz said:
I've occasionally read posts, but this is my first time i've posted.. im curious, what channels am i getting with the upgrade. They are coming in tommrow(sat. dec. 17) to install the satellite and receiver. ive talked to a rep. twice and they both gave me different information on what channels im going to get. If u r getting locals from the chicagoland area can someone help me out.
thanks erik..

If you're getting the H20 receiver and the AT-9 dish then you'll get WBBM-DT, WMAQ-DT, WLS-DT and WFLD-DT via the dish. If you add an over the air antenna then you'll be able to get the rest, assuming that you can receive them at your location. You'll also get the SD versions of all the channels.

thank you... do u know if wgn or comcast sportsnet will come available in the future> also what does SD version mean? and yes im about 45 miles away from chicago so i dont recevie off air signals.

SD is Standard Definition. At 45 miles, if you put up a good Antenna you should be able to receive OTA. There are many postsrs who get good signal out in DeKalb. I am in Waukegan & get good signals on all Milwaukee stations as well as Chicago.

I can venture it will be quite awhile before you see CSN-HD on either satellite, you'll see WGN much sooner I'd bet.

erikcz said:
thank you... do u know if wgn or comcast sportsnet will come available in the future> also what does SD version mean? and yes im about 45 miles away from chicago so i dont recevie off air signals.
Erikcz, welcome to the forums! :welcome

45 miles is a bit more than nothing and a whole lot less than tough--if you have clear line of site. I'm able to get 40 miles with an attic mounted, medium sized, outdoor antenna without any trouble at all.

Now if you had said 145 miles, then I'd say try tall tower, very good antenna, and maybe an amplifier...

Cheers,
Tom

I thought I'd post my HD install experience. I'm in rural Indiana, but in the Chicago TV area, so I qualified for H20 installation. I'd bought the H20 online, and set up installation through Directv with Apex for Dec 5th. However, they called back a few days before install to say they were out of dishes, so I rescheduled for the 15th.

On the 15th they showed up ontime, albeit on the cusp of being late, and because my dish was in the backyard on a wooden post, and my H20 was already set up, it took about 1/2 hour for the whole install. He just swapped out dishes, trued up the new one, and came in to view the result.

When all appeared well, one quick phone call turned on HD. Oddly, I had already been getting HD for HBO, although all other HD had been shut off of course.

So that was it, everything worked. He left my old dish on the porch which I then threw away, and he never asked me for my old box. I'm supposed to get a 200 buck rebate on my H20, but I haven't figured out how that works yet.

I did ask the installer a few questions about the competition. I noted that Dish didn't seem to have an HD strategy for local channels. He said they'd been after him to take a job, but he balked because he's heard they're close to bankruptsy(sp?). He said Directv considers Comcast their serious competition, not Dish. Take that for what its worth.

Oh, and I asked about WGN and other locals going HD. He said February. He said the sat goes up in January, and they should turn on more stations a month later.

We'll see.

cheers,
mark

Bad audio sync tonight on WFLD-DT via D*

Tonight I've noticed a very bad audio sync problem on WFLD-DT via D*. When I first turn to the channel everything is OK. Then eventually the video will studder for a moment and from then on we're not in sync anymore. I switch to another channel and then back and audio is OK for a while until the video studders again then back out of sync. Not seeing this via the OTA signal. Anyone else tonight seeing this?

Dodge, I already replied privately that I intend to keep it for future use, although frankly its not that good a receiver. Its an old RCA and it has local channels in the 900's...a pain in the butt, and its kind of slow, but it works, and would be good enough for a guest room.

mark

... they didnt show up.. has this happened to ne of u? did they give u a free programming package or free installation.

Last edited:
erikcz said:
... they didnt show up.. has this happened to ne of u? did they give u a free programming pacake or free installation.

Yes as you can read previous post from others, it will show that other people have been given something for it.

call the retention dept of directv
amd tell them that you took a day of work just for the directv install

they should give you some credit for it

i forgot the phone # to retention dept, i sure you can find it, or someone else will post it

hdtvtechno said:
Yes as you can read previous post from others, it will show that other people have been given something for it.
call the retention dept of directv
amd tell them that you took a day of work just for the directv install
they should give you some credit for it
i forgot the phone # to retention dept, i sure you can find it, or someone else will post it

thank you sir...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts