Chicago To Tax Satellite Television

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Even if this tax is allowed by federal law, which I seriously doubt, how many people that live in Chicago would suddenly "move" to a suburb to avoid paying that tax while still keeping their locals?
Chicago is looking for the billing records for the installs.

9% "amusement tax" on sat TV? I certainty hope that E* & D* fight this one. This could spread like wildfire throughout the US if Chicago gets away with it. Tax the rich people (or anyone else) that can afford sat TV. I can't believe that the people of Chicago have let the City Council get away with a 8% amusement tax on cable TV. Maybe when it rises to 9% the people will revolt.

The revenue package expected to be approved Monday by the City Council's Budget Committee requires DirecTV and Dish Network to provide the city's Revenue Department with the name, address and telephone number of all Chicago subscribers. The companies are further required to warn subscribers they are "liable" for the amusement tax" and "may receive a separate bill from the city."
Customer billing information is required "on or before Aug. 15 of each year" unless companies "elect to collect and remit the amusement" tax to the city. If they do, they're allowed to keep 4 percent to defray the cost of accounting and administration. The service fee does not apply to overdue taxes.
The satellite industry is not going down without a fight. "We believe that federal law currently prohibits local taxation of satellite TV services while preserving the right of states to impose taxes," DISH spokesperson Robin Zimmerman wrote in an e-mail response to the Sun-Times.
DirecTV's Robert Mercer agreed that "federal law prevents cities from taxing direct broadcast satellite services."

Even if this tax is allowed by federal law, which I seriously doubt, how many people that live in Chicago would suddenly "move" to a suburb to avoid paying that tax while still keeping their locals?

Better yet, what about folks that don't LIVE in Chicago, but DID "move" to a city addy, TO get locals - but now might PAY this BS tax. I guess it depends if D* charges these taxes based on the BILLING vs the PHYSICAL addy - but I'm pretty sure it's based on the physical. :mad:

I would think it's the service address. But it also states that the city might send a separate tax bill to collect the fees. Good luck billing me at my chicago "address.";)

Better yet, what about folks that don't LIVE in Chicago, but DID "move" to a city addy, TO get locals - but now might PAY this BS tax. I guess it depends if D* charges these taxes based on the BILLING vs the PHYSICAL addy - but I'm pretty sure it's based on the physical. :mad:
Simple solution: "move" to just outside the city limits, or to another city in the DMA. You'll get the same locals without a city tax.

We need a tea party

What is the event that occurs in public space or using public right-of-ways in Chicago that triggers this tax? This tax is bogus, the Mayor and City Council are incompetent, and I predict Chicago will look more and more like Detroit as the years go by.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)