Choppy OTA Video on 722

JoeKacz

Original poster
May 28, 2008
Hello all. I posted this topic previously in the Dish Network Forum, and was given some good ideas, but I'm still wondering if anyone else has this problem, and I cling to a remote hope that someone has a resolution. The problem is this:

This does not happen frequently, but is very annoying when it does. When watching and OTA HD broadcast, with my roof OTA antenna going into my 722, there are spots of jumpy video, that is to say it looks like some lost frames... I apologize for not having a better description. It almost has a sort of a 'Max Headroom' effect. It will happen for just a second or two, and often during close-ups or other scenes that (I imagine) have a lot of information to process. The audio is fine, no problems there. This was most noticeable during college basketball on my local CBS affiliate, and now on the Olympics on my local NBC. The worst I saw happened during NBC's broadcast of the women's Marathon. Close up of 15-20 people running caused an almost constant choppiness. To the best of my knowledge, I have only seen this on OTA channels broadcasting in 1080i - all seems well with 720p. This leads me to believe that the 722 lacks some processing power.

With the OTA antenna going directly into my display (Panasonic TH-50PZ77U) the picture is perfect, no jumpy or choppy video at all. I have only seen this problem with the OTA HD signals coming into the 722.

Signal strength is not an issue, as this happens regardless if the strength is 70-75% or 100%.

My 722 is set to 1080i and connected to my set via component (YPbPr) cables. I have tried all other resolution settings of the 722 (720p, 480p, etc.) and also tried connecting via HDMI, all to no avail. I should also note that using the "skip-back" procedure to rewind a short distance and watch the program using the buffer does not help either. Skipping backwards after seeing the jumpy video results in seeing the same jumpy video in the exact same spot again.

I should also note that I do not have my locals in HD through Dish, so I cannot compare that, but I imagine the compression from Dish would solve the problem.

I am in the Lansing, MI DMA.

I've included the TVFool.com channel location chart. The two channels I've seen this occur on with some regularity are channels 6 and 10 (Digital channels 59 and 57, respectively). Regardless of their almost 90 degree separation, they both come in consistently in the mid to high-90% signal strength, with my antenna pointed to the south. Channel 10 broadcasts one sub-channel, channels 6 broadcasts none.

A couple of short conversations with Dish Network techs have provided no results. They simply left it at the problem being in the way the 722 is handling the signal. I am much appreciative of any help. Thank you!

Attachments

• Radar-Digital.png
    Radar-Digital.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 189

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts