Chose not to let it check, now Black Screen of Death

SMyers75

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
United States
While I was watching a show on Discovery at 2:00am, a message popped up asking if I wanted to allow some sort of receiver check.
The prompt was optional and I was watching a show, so I said No.

30 seconds later the screen goes black, the Hopper starts rebooting and now all I get is "Hopper Stating Up...", Black Screen, repeat.
I waited about 30 minutes letting it cycle though this routine maybe 10 times, then I tried unplugging it for five minutes but it still just keeps cycling "Hopper Stating Up...", Black Screen, repeat.

It's now 2:50am, so I can't call tech support...
Is there some sort of way to master reset this thing?

Also, I work weird hours so the only time I have to watch is from around 1:30am.
It's a pain that it always wants to run its check at 2:00am, right when I want to use it.
If I miss telling it no, I have to wait 10-15 minutes for it to finish.

How can I change the time it wants to do its thing?

Can't change the time (hopefully they'll fix that, on the old receivers you could choose the time.) Did you try unplugging it for 30 seconds?

Too bad about not being able to change the time.
It always seems to pop the question when I'm not looking at it, so I usually have to wait and miss half of what I wanted to watch.

I did try unplugging a few times for up to five minutes, no joy.

I have two hoppers, so I'm now getting ready to switch places with this one in my Office for the one in the Living room as that one still works.
Bummer though, as that one if full of soap opera/reality shows my wife and kids watch and mine has all my "Good" shows on it I wanted to watch. :(

As a last resort, I unplugged the Sling Adapter and the External HD, unplugged for five minutes.
Waiting to see if that helps...

That didn't help so I made switch.
I'm using the other Living Room Hopper now and will wait until the real world wakes up before I can to troubleshoot the problem with my Office Hopper.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hmm... That stinks... Good luck in your troubleshooting. If you manage to get it working again I'd like to hear how you did it. Otherwise I guess it's a goner, you know how to contact DIRT? Granted they're not on during the late hours ('till about 2:15 EDT) but since you can PM them they'll eventually get the message. Perhaps they'll post in here soon...

It's a goner.
I'm leaving on a business trip in the early AM, so I'll have to take care of the return when I get back in three weeks.

The Tech's at Dish tried everything they could, but it just plain died. :(
Seems somehow it lost the firmware(?)

Luckily for me, I moved most of my favorite shows over to the external a couple of days ago, so I should be good to go when it gets replaced.

Thanks for the suggestions!

And this Ladies and Gentlemen is why you need two Hawpas and an EHD if you don't want to miss anything. He can go on his trip happy... :)

And this Ladies and Gentlemen is why you need two Hawpas and an EHD if you don't want to miss anything. He can go on his trip happy... :)

Incorrect, Did you not remember dish did extensive research and knows customers only need three tuners
You must forgot that because you posted it.

Well I'm a customer and our household barely got by with 2 Hoppers (4 TVs.) Had to get 3. Besides, how does Dish research? Their previous receivers only had 3 tuners (2 SAT 1 OTA) thus I guess their research was that the 722 works fine so customers only need 3 tuners. This mess with 1 Hopper 3 Joeys is ridiculous as there's not even enough tuners for 4 TVs! It's a downgrade for any household that had more than 1 dual tuner ViP (basically any Dish Household with more than 2 TVs.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)