Ciel 2 Tracking

Hi,

Ciel 2 has 5 spot beams for Hawaii. These 5 spots can be either 35 HD channels (5x7) or about 75 SD channels (5x15) or some combination of the two. I don't know how many channels are currently offered to Hawaii, but at lease you know what Ciel can provide with a single dish.

Ceil has one spot beam for Hawaii. Will not know how many transponders they will multiplex on it until we see it,

2009 Jan 06 00:14:53 0.0308 S 138.0113 W 35785.850

CIEL-2
1 33453U 08063A 09006.04521624 .00000122 00000-0 10000-3 0 411
2 33453 000.0460 150.8360 0000658 166.2637 026.9085 01.00272545 289

Ciel has reached the dubious honor of having the oldest TLE update of the many hundreds of geostationary satellites.
It seems likely to me that NORAD might hold off illuminating a DBS satellite while it's being tested. They don't want to be accused of damaging an expensive orbital asset.

NORAD put all of their resources in to tracking Santa over the Christmas holiday. They should be back to the regular work of tracking satellites any day now.

Wow this is a quote for the Hall Of Fame! LOL Funny stuff. You know that NORAD santa stuff was all started because a local department store put out a phone number so kids could call in to the store and tell where Santa was. The number was 1 number different from the "Red phone" line at NORAD.

Seen that on the History Channel. :)

Ceil has one spot beam for Hawaii. Will not know how many transponders they will multiplex on it until we see it,

Hi nelson,

Your correct, one spot and according to the Schedule S database link you provided to me earlier, the Hawaii spot will have 5 transponders. As you said, we will need to wait and see it that becomes a reality.

Hi nelson,

Your correct, one spot and according to the Schedule S database link you provided to me earlier, the Hawaii spot will have 5 transponders. As you said, we will need to wait and see it that becomes a reality.

The possibility exist for 7 HD channels per transponder for a total of 35 new ones for you in HI and us here in the deep freeze of AK. (only -30 right now). Dish will of course change over all the present 129 first and get around to HI and AK afterwords. :D:D

Hi nelson,

Am I not understanding how spotbeams work? I knew that a transponder could have multiple spotbeams sharing the same frequency (for non-overlapping DMAs), but I didn't know it was possible for a spotbeam to use multiple transponders. Or are there multiple transponders pointing spotbeams at Hawaii?

Am I not understanding how spotbeams work? I knew that a transponder could have multiple spotbeams sharing the same frequency (for non-overlapping DMAs), but I didn't know it was possible for a spotbeam to use multiple transponders. Or are there multiple transponders pointing spotbeams at Hawaii?

You are right, you would think anything for HI and AK is spotbeam anyway, unless of course they each has more than one LIL market.

Spot Beams

A spot beam is simply a feedhorn (antenna) pointed at the dish on the satellite at a specific angle and spacing from the dish to radiate a signal in a specific direction at a specific gain. The feed horn can be driven by one or more transponders. In the case of Hawaii, according to earlier information, it will have 5 transponders (tp 2, 4, 6, 14 and 16) on spot beam #55 (there are only 53 spot beams, but for some reason, they did not call any spot beams #2 and #3, so the spot beam numbering go to 55).

Last edited:
A spot beam is simply a feedhorn (antenna) pointed at the dish on the satellite at a specific angle and spacing from the dish to radiate a signal in a specific direction at a specific gain. The feed horn can be driven by one or more transponders. In the case of Hawaii, according to earlier information, it will have 5 transponders (tp 2, 4, 6, 14 and 16) on spot beam #55 (there are only 53 spot beams, but for some reason, they did not call any spot beams #2 and #3, so the spot beam number go to 55).
That clarifies it to a point, but there must be more to it. The rationale for a spotbeam is to use the same transponder frequency for multiple locations, carrying different programming.

So there must be a way to specify that tp2s55 (for example) carries all Hawaii channels. The matrix would have to route one of nine (if it's a nine-to-one frequency reuse spotbeam) channel uplink packages for each of the five transponders to one feedhorn. Other spotbeam feedhorns might feed channels from the same or different combinations of transponders.

I assume that's possible, and that's what's happening, but I had no idea that it was being done for Ciel-2. Simple enough when you think about it.

That clarifies it to a point, but there must be more to it. The rationale for a spotbeam is to use the same transponder frequency for multiple locations, carrying different programming.

So there must be a way to specify that tp2s55 (for example) carries all Hawaii channels. The matrix would have to route one of nine (if it's a nine-to-one frequency reuse spotbeam) channel uplink packages for each of the five transponders to one feedhorn. Other spotbeam feedhorns might feed channels from the same or different combinations of transponders.

I assume that's possible, and that's what's happening, but I had no idea that it was being done for Ciel-2. Simple enough when you think about it.

Your right, I did not go into the uplink side of the transponder. You are correct and using your example of tp2, it is reused on spot beams 13, 17, 25, 28, 41, 43, 54 and 55 (nine times reuse).

A spot beam is simply a feedhorn (antenna) pointed at the dish on the satellite at a specific angle and spacing from the dish to radiate a signal in a specific direction at a specific gain. The feed horn can be driven by one or more transponders. In the case of Hawaii, according to earlier information, it will have 5 transponders (tp 2, 4, 6, 14 and 16) on spot beam #55 (there are only 53 spot beams, but for some reason, they did not call any spot beams #2 and #3, so the spot beam numbering go to 55).

Alaska is #1, #'s 2&3 had names change to Canada Wide beam and Conus.

Turbo HD only packages for existing?

Using on-screen Customer Service via phone line

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)