Cincinnati local HD rumors?

sbalmos

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Cincinnati (Maineville), OH
Hi all,

First post here (oh joy, that welcome banner at the top of the site finally goes away. :D). Was wondering if anyone has heard anything on the rumor mill about Cincinnati's locals being picked up in HD any time soon? I was reading elsewhere that we were supposed to be one of the markets in the original rollout back in '05 or '06 (IIRC). But to date, nothing still.

Yes, I know about the OTA antenna thing. But my new condo is basically built into a hill, and reception on a powered antenna is crappy to nil. The stretched mode SD looks decent enough on my 56" DLP screen. But obviously HD looks better.

Is this going to be another case of having to wait for the new birds to fly, and even then it's twiddle my thumbs?

Thanks!

--Scott

The last Charlie Talk showed a map where local HD channels would be offered. It looked like Cincinnati was on the map but the "dot" was off to where it could have been Louisville or somewhere in between.

The only timeframe for these new channels was 2008 so it will probably be after the new satellites are launched.

It's all guesswork at this point.

// Scott A

I think that "dot" was for Dayton..... :D

Honestly, don't expect anything. Rumors don't count for much either, nor do "plans". As noted, Cincy was supposed to get HD-locals in what, 2005 or 2006 ? 2007 has pretty came and went and you're still using an antenna...

I have an option in the mean time. If you live in the time-warner cable area of Hamilton, Warren, Butler or Clermont county (Fed from Blue Ash), you can call and ask for the LIFELINE basic cable tier wich runs about $13 a month after taxes and fees. It includes 5, 5.2, 9, 9.2, 12, 12.2(CinCW), 19, 48, 48.2, TNTHD, HD Theater, and a few othe small-time digital channels along with all the analog cable channels 2-24 (Locals, Access, C-Span, WGNSuperstation). I am certain that all the other cable systems have something similar.

The catch is your TV MUST have a QAM tuner. No not all of them have it. I said than only because "they all have it" is the response I keep getting from every salesman I talk to. They are all WRONG). Most have it. Not all. The 622 does NOT have a QAM tuner. A QAM tuner is the digital TV equivilant to a "Cable Ready TV".

Cincinnati locals in HD are planned through Dish and I know that all the local channels are already feeding the POP with digital signals. But it could be next month, it could be in two years. We don't know.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts