CinemaNow Launches DTS-HD Content

IIRC its a service run/owned by Best Buy. I browsed but nothing compelled to leave VUDU which am 110% satisfied with.
Vudu has had 1080p movies w/ 5.1 since day1

Well, 5.1 on the CinemaNow has the potential to be better than the 5.1 DD+ on Vudu, but its early to make that call. As far as PQ goes, I checked CinemaNow out (Life of Pi) and it wasnt good at all. I'd stick with Vudu HDX in a heartbeat.

I could also see Vudu increasing their HDX bitrate for video and audio down the road. HDX has been out since 2008, due for an upgrade :)

I would definitely be interested in a streaming service with Blu-ray quality lossless DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD. The naming had me excited that this would be that service but it doesn't sound like it is. They said they may be able to do full lossless DTS-HD Master Audio in the future but that isn't what this is.

I watch a lot of Blu-ray disks with DTS-HD Master Audio but I have never seen anything just labeled DTS-HD. Apparently they are different things. That link says this will be a low bitrate codec designed for streaming. Sounds like they are just using a DTS 5.1 format instead of the Dolby Digital Plus format that Netflix and other streaming services use. I'm no expert on these things but I doubt it will be much different than DD+.

I mainly use iTunes and occasionally use Amazon Instant for my PPV rentals but I would switch to a new service in a second if they offered one of the lossless formats found on Blu-ray.

To me, Vudu is the likely company to make another step. great thing about Vudu if you have a PS3, you can download the HDX movie file and it takes streaming quality out of it.

I think everyone ran into stream only too soon. Vudu started out as a download service and then pushed it to the side. The ideal setup would be something like a WD box or a Roku with an external drive, and Vudu allowing downloads. The avg HDX file is around 7.5 gigs, so what would it add to throw a lossless track on there. Shoot for a 10gig HDX movile file with DTS-HD or TrueHD. It could be the case where the studios still want to limit downloads so you buy the disc too. Unless we get better internet options in the country, streaming only for people who care about blu-ray video and sound is a no go. There is nothing at my 6mbps DSL speed that would make me want to leave Blu-ray behind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts