Cinemax penny deal ending??

Today I got the letter that said it ended. It's still coming through though. I guess they are turning it off any day even though they are charging a penny on my most recent statement.

Go figure.

I just got the Cinemax for a penny is ending letter today. I am into my second year for a penny already but I know it was only a few months ago that I re-upped.

I was thinking I would have until middle of next year but the letter says it is canceled immediately... Oh well.

You will still get PennyMax for your entire year so long as you stay on autopay. I signed up for it the day before the promo ended and I am going to get it for the full year.

You will still get PennyMax for your entire year so long as you stay on autopay. I signed up for it the day before the promo ended and I am going to get it for the full year.

That was my understanding and I expected the letter around June 2010. The letter does say it was removed from my account effective immediatley but it is still on.

I must be on penny bonus time now.

Are you say the site is down or the login in? That's different thread but I got in but as has been since last Fri the programming is still blank.

It was flat down earlier today. I see it's back up and programming is still N/A... I'm wondering when my Cinemax for a penny deal will be done. As of last month, I still had it that way on my bill.

I'm sorta not expecting it to hold this month...

Well, that's what I thought.

And I thought that because I was TOLD that by Dish Chat Support.

In fact, I was told that TWICE.

And yet, as of this AM it's off. I'm now on chat being told that, sorry, we reserve the right to make programming changes at anytime so, sorry, you are SOL.

*sigh*. I don't have a MBA. I don't run a company. But I'm pretty sure that LYING to your customers is a bad idea for customer retention.

on 10/13 I went on to chat to drop programming (was finding that Platinum was beginning to be a waste of money).

I was then offered the ability to switch from the no-longer-offered Turbo package to a regular package. They'd reduce the monthly rate for a year to make it inline with what I was paying before. I thought that was a fair offer, especially when I asked about Cinemax:

---
Ian H. Z7D: The Cinemax for a year for a penny promotion has been extended so if you wish to keep that you may as long as you maintain autopay with paperless billing.
---

We then all got the letters, so, once again, I asked about this and if I'd retain it. I was then told:

---
(24DrDcb) Melissa E. D6G: The promotion for the Cinemax for a Penny was over on 10/31/09 If you signed up for it before then you would still get it for the 1 year for .01.
---

And then, today, no Cinemax and just an outright "Sorry, we can do whatever the hell we want" reply.

In the grand scheme of things, losing Cinemax is pretty small. But having a company constantly lie to you is just a bit much. I don't think I ever entered into a contract as lopsided as DishNetwork's.

maybe if you ask nicely they will give you your penny back... :rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of that approach. I like to think that contracts are fairly equitable for both parties. I guess Dish disagrees. AFAICT, their business model is purely "how much money can we make this month" instead of "how can we offer customer service that will allow us to retain customers which will allow us to make more money over the longer term".

pulled from them

Well, that's what I thought.

And I thought that because I was TOLD that by Dish Chat Support.

In fact, I was told that TWICE.

And yet, as of this AM it's off. I'm now on chat being told that, sorry, we reserve the right to make programming changes at anytime so, sorry, you are SOL.

*sigh*. I don't have a MBA. I don't run a company. But I'm pretty sure that LYING to your customers is a bad idea for customer retention.

If an offer is pulled from the provider then the provider will pull it from the customer. Plain and simple they are not in business to lose money and so can't give something that is costing them a 1000% more than what they are being paid.

If an offer is pulled from the provider then the provider will pull it from the customer. Plain and simple they are not in business to lose money and so can't give something that is costing them a 1000% more than what they are being paid.

Yep. That's exactly what they do. It's not THEIR problem. It's OUR problem. Since we were the ones that signed the silly contract.

Again, I'm not a CEO, but it seems that losing out a few bucks for the short would seem like a more profitable move if it meant you got to retain customers.

Hell, I'd be less frustrated if they just would say "Yes, we are sorry that we lied to you" but they won't even say that. They just point to their silly legalese "we can do whatever we want".

Losing Cinemax isn't a huge deal. Losing a penny isn't a huge deal. Being continually being lied to leaves a bad taste in my mouth as a customer.

See I don't feel lied to. The promo just ended when they could no longer afford to do it. L I'm an absolute customer and I bet they probably lose some on it. But that is something that they seem willing to lose money on.

See I don't feel lied to. The promo just ended when they could no longer afford to do it. L I'm an absolute customer and I bet they probably lose some on it. But that is something that they seem willing to lose money on.

I agree with you totally. I am very happy that I had Cinemax for .025 for the past 2.5 years. I have watched a number of movies and think it was a great promotion. I don't think Dish should have to take one for the team when a supplier changes things.

I look at it this way. My groceries go up all the time. If a farm has a bad tomato crop, the price goes up... Well, Cinemax changed the situation and the price went up. No biggie. I actually find it hard to believe that so many people are complaining about this. I suppose everyone is different in that aspect.

I'm not a fan of that approach. I like to think that contracts are fairly equitable for both parties. I guess Dish disagrees. AFAICT, their business model is purely "how much money can we make this month" instead of "how can we offer customer service that will allow us to retain customers which will allow us to make more money over the longer term".

and the contract that each customer signed with Dish says that they have the right to change or modify programming at their discretion. Every customer agreed to that, be it programming for a penny a year, or programming for $15.99 a month.
No one has to sign the contract, but then Dish doesn't have to offer you programming either.

To clarify, I'm not upset with prices going up and companies having to adjust.

I'm upset with companies not providing the services they say they will when you enter into the contract.

I pay for X at a price agreed to, I expect to get X for the price agreed to.

I'm even more upset that they just don't leave it at that, but then lied to me twice when I asked for clarification. If you're going to cancel part of my channels, fine, but don't tell me you aren't going to do it then do it anyways. That just makes the situation worse.

Yes, I know it's a really crappy contract that I voluntarily signed. Dish has every right to make that crappy contract and I have every right not to sign it.

I did, and learned my lesson. Dish is not a company that is concerned with accommodating current customers. They'd rather spend money on new user offers and risk having a low retention rate.

Sadly, DirecTV tends to use the same business model, so we consumers are left with little choice.

Hopefully a year from now internet options will be mature enough that I can take down the dishes from the roof. ;o)

Almost everyone

To clarify, I'm not upset with prices going up and companies having to adjust.

I'm upset with companies not providing the services they say they will when you enter into the contract.

I pay for X at a price agreed to, I expect to get X for the price agreed to.

I'm even more upset that they just don't leave it at that, but then lied to me twice when I asked for clarification. If you're going to cancel part of my channels, fine, but don't tell me you aren't going to do it then do it anyways. That just makes the situation worse.

Yes, I know it's a really crappy contract that I voluntarily signed. Dish has every right to make that crappy contract and I have every right not to sign it.

I did, and learned my lesson. Dish is not a company that is concerned with accommodating current customers. They'd rather spend money on new user offers and risk having a low retention rate.

Sadly, DirecTV tends to use the same business model, so we consumers are left with little choice.

Hopefully a year from now internet options will be mature enough that I can take down the dishes from the roof. ;o)

Almost every company has the same clause in the contract. If they didn't then they would never be able to change what is provided whenever they need to change their line up. I will slightly miss max for $.01 but it doesn't rule my life. There is too much ado about nothing here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts