Cinemax penny deal ending??

I received my statement today and it said that my Cinemax for a penny has ended. If I wanted to Contunue with Cinemax for $12.99 a month I could call or add it online.

It has not been turned off yet.

Also, on the same bill that says my promo has ended they have a charge on the bill for $.01 for Cenemax for a year.

Go figure.

I received my statement today and it said that my Cinemax for a penny has ended. If I wanted to Contunue with Cinemax for $12.99 a month I could call or add it online.

Also, on the same bill that says my promo has ended they have a charge on the bill for $.01 for Cenemax for a year.

Go figure.

I too had a charge for $.01 on the same bill that also said my promo was ending.

Go figure.
Personally, it's a bad move on Dish's part. You want to pull the plug in a good economy. With Xmas looming, people are trying to save their jobs and shop. The last thing they'll do is subscribe to Max :D Their retention rate on max will drop extensively, IMHO of course.

The Max for a penny promo went off last month. If you have it currently, it will continue until the year is up. At that time, Cinemax will just disappear. You don't have to call in to cancel, and there is no $5 fee for removing it.

I received my notice as well. Cinemax was rarely planned viewing; I'd come in in the middle of some movie when nothing else was on. I DVR'd a few things for my son. I did think it was better than Encore.

This is from my September 28th statement. I have not received any update of them cutting it off....yet.

Here's the DISH...
Thank you for using credit card AutoPay with Paperless Billing
for your DISH Network account. As a token of our
appreciation, we have extended your Cinemax premium movie
channels for just a $.01 for one additional year. Thank you for
managing your account online!

I got one more year coming and I will get it!

The agreement that I made with Dish is for signing up for auto pay I would receive cinamax for two years at a penny per year. On my November statement they charged me my second year penny. I am no attorney but I think that they have a contract with me, and I'll bet my state attorney general will agree with me. Mike

The agreement that I made with Dish is for signing up for auto pay I would receive cinamax for two years at a penny per year. On my November statement they charged me my second year penny. I am no attorney but I think that they have a contract with me, and I'll bet my state attorney general will agree with me. Mike

and according to the contract you signed with Dish when you signed up, in order to receive programming, you agreed that they (Dish) has the right to add or delete programming at their discretion at any time. In this case, they (or Cinemax) decided that the offer would end. Just as they stated could be done from day one of your contract.
If you call them, maybe they will give you your penny back if it's that damned important...

Letter?

It's being said that one receives a letter that it's gonna end? Still haven't gotten mine at my billing address. I've had it for yr & a half and I've gotten $.02 worth if it ends 12/31/09.

Cinemax promotion is over, but you can maybe still get it

I called Dish Network near the end of my 1 year promotion for Cinemax to make sure it did not automatically renew at the regular rate. They assured me that it would automatically cancel at the end of the 1 year term, and I would not be billed the regular rate. Then the CSR asked me if I would like it extended for 3 months for free. I said fine, but she informed me I would have to call to cancel before the end of the 3 month period.

In mid November I got an email from Dish indicating that the 1 year promotion would end soon, but I had to do nothing as they would automatically cancel it and not charge me the $12.99 regular rate. About a week later they cancelled Cinemax and did not charge me. However, I never got the 3 month extension promised to me by the CSR. I never complained because I was mainly interested in avoiding the regular rate.

When my November bill arrived from Dish Network there was a charge of Cinemax for $.01. It looked like they were renewing the promotion, but they never turned Cinemax back on.

This time I called Dish Network and pointed out that my November bill showed I should be getting the Cinemax for a penny promotion but I wasn't getting it. The conversation then went something like this:

Me: You say I'm getting Cinemax for a penny on your bill but then you aren't giving it to me.
Don't you think that's very misleading.

CSR: Well the Cinemax for a penny was a promotion and we have ended the promotion.

Me: But your bill says I'm getting it and I'm not.

CSR: Oh. I see you were offered a 3 month extension but never received it. Would you like the 3 month extension.

Me: OK.

CSR: How much do you like Cinemax?

Me: I like it but I'm not willing to pay $12.99 a month for it.

CSR: But how much do you like it?

Me: I like it a lot.

CSR: Since you are one of our best customers, always pay on time, and have credit card autopay, I'm going to give you Cinemax for a penny.

A few hours later I got Cinemax back for a full year for a penny. The upshot of this is: If they offer Cinemax for $.01 on your bill, call Dish Network and ask for it. You may get it back.

Last edited:
Since they are ending this promotion, I have just finished stopping auto-pay from CC and have asked for a paper bill to be mailed to the house. Only reason I had used those 2 features was to get the Cinemax for a penny. Guess they will have to process my bill each month now.

Since they are ending this promotion, I have just finished stopping auto-pay from CC and have asked for a paper bill to be mailed to the house. Only reason I had used those 2 features was to get the Cinemax for a penny. Guess they will have to process my bill each month now.

yeah, that'll show 'em! I bet they are calling a special meeting in Englewood right now to rethink the decision ... :rolleyes:

"if it's that damned important"

I think demanding parity in a contract is important. Dish contracts are basically "You pay us every month for 2 years. In exchange, we don't promise anything specific and are free to change whatever you thought you signed up for and the prices we agreed to at our will". Which kind of sucks.

So, yea, it's just a penny. It's just cinemax. But there's the principal behind it as well. ;)

I just chatted with Dish (for everything I dislike about Dish, I do have to hand it to them for having a very decent chat system with decent people on the other end).

According to the person I was chatting with, the deal ended 10/31. So, if one was signed up before then, they'd still get it for a year. Now, in my case, I'm not sure what that exactly means. I already had it for a year, but last month I ended up switching plans, at which time the chat person said the deal had been extended and I'd get it. So, I guess we'll see what happens.

I know that the promotion is ending for signing up new people but those that already have it will keep it for the year. The promotion has been going on for a few years now and nobody can expect it to last forever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)